Notices

Ok you real turbo/engine guru's.. here's a real challenge!! (MSD problem)

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2002, 10:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ok you real turbo/engine guru's.. here's a real challenge!! (MSD problem)

I just spent 6 killer hours in my freaking garage killing myself over the ghey MSD 6A installation. I wont go into the details other than "trail and error SUCKS!". Anyways, after I finally wired it right, we got the car up and running great. The car idles perfectly, and if you drive it normally (with NO boost), the car will drive 100% fine. The problem comes once you try to boost. At about .18-20 bar, the car suddenly begins to sputter very rappidly and the tach won't move. At first it seemed almost like I was overfueling the motor and it was just stuck at 1 rpm because it couldn't burn the fuel.. but I messed th the VAFC by trimming up and down, nothing. I checked the wires and plugs, all looks good. So I can't figure this out and it's killing me!

The scenario again, at idle and normal driving, car is 100% A-ok, once you cross to about .18-20 bar, car being a very rapid studder and won't revs won't climb. ONLY happens at about .18-20 bar and at the moment the car goes into open loop, not rpm dependent (took it to like 5k rpm at low throttlr w/ no problem). Any idea's? Anybody esle with an MSD had a similar problem? FYI it's an MSD 6A only (no external coil) and BCPR7E-11 plugs on my SOHC VTEC. Hope you guys can think of something cause i'm completley stumped!
Old 04-26-2002, 10:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ok you real turbo/engine guru's.. here's a real challenge!! (VTC_CiViC)

Yeah, you need that external coil....don't ask me why, but when we installed a MSD amp into my buddy's car, it did the same thing. It would sputter at low rpms, but fine everywhre else(even idle)....

we got a blaster coil(the SS to be exact) and it cured everyting
Old 04-26-2002, 10:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Ok you real turbo/engine guru's.. here's a real challenge!! (VTC_CiViC)

Did it start happeing AFTER the MSD install? You did cut the wires to tell the box it's a 4 cylinder right? Make sure your engine grounds are all connected and good. Also, check the plug gap. I know your not boosting much, but with colder plugs and turbulent cylinder events, it could be blowing the spark out. It usually happens at much higher boost levels though.

We've ran plenty of internal coil's and they all worked fine.

[Modified by HidPerf, 7:34 AM 4/27/2002]
Old 04-26-2002, 10:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hold on, your telling me that you wasted money on that POS msd box, when that money could have been spent on a worth while piece like hondata? Wheres you head man? MSD is a waste of money if you ask me. Its a band-aid.
Sorry for being blunt and sounding like a dick--but I thought you were gonna get the hondata and go that route. I dunno, sometimes I just dont understand.
Old 04-26-2002, 11:29 PM

Default Re: Ok you real turbo/engine guru's.. here's a real challenge!! (93LSivic)

Hold on, your telling me that you wasted money on that POS msd box, when that money could have been spent on a worth while piece like hondata? Wheres you head man? MSD is a waste of money if you ask me. Its a band-aid.
Sorry for being blunt and sounding like a dick--but I thought you were gonna get the hondata and go that route. I dunno, sometimes I just dont understand.
First off how does having a stronger spark co-relate to Hondata???
Isn't Hondata to fine tune lean/reach conditions and parameters for your injector cycle, and a possible rev limit?... hmmm....
It's not like he was using the v-fac hack. where in that case it would constitute a band-aid for hondata...

Anyways... you should get an external coil if you have an amp, I might be wrong but stock coil will not be able to conduce the additional output for a stronger spark

Old 04-27-2002, 03:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ok you real turbo/engine guru's.. here's a real challenge!! (revhrdls)

stock coils work fine with the msd boxes. i would check the grounds as well & make sure you have everything wired 100% correct.
Old 04-27-2002, 07:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ok you real turbo/engine guru's.. here's a real challenge!! (qwkteg125)

Ok here's the deal, #1- I do have Hondata (not installed), but as already explained, Hondata has nothing to do with electrical output for the ignition, so I don't know how you came accross that one. #2- Eveything is hooked up good from what I can tell, after all, if it wasn't when I wouldn't be running at all (no concuctivity to the distributor). For the MSD 6A, there are no wires to cut to tell it it's a 4cyl, no mods neccesary. I'm running the BCPR7E-11's at stock gap which is like .044" I belive, I guess I could try to shorten the gap, but it mistifies me how the gap would need to be shorter with a stronger spark? Looks like I'm back to the garage for some more wrench slappin'