Notices

oil return line help needed

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 08:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil return line help needed

A two part question.

Will this line work ok?
It is now shorter so it runs downhill the length of the line. The problem I am afraid of is the oil level in the pan. When it is full, the oil will be at or near the top of the fitting on the pan! I know this isn't optimal, but was wondering if it will work. It seems like the oil might not flow out fast enough, or some might reside in the line which doesn't seem good.

So if we say "nay" to that line, here's question number two. What can you use that is SUPER FLEXIBLE in short lengths? I feared that returning to the pan would not work well, so I tapped above it. Unfortunately the AC is in the way, so I had to tap it directly to the left of the black fitting in the picture. The line ends up being about 7" long and has a pretty sharp bend in it. I tried using a whole slew of different fittings on the motor, and on the line. Even using rubber hose and barbs, it doesn't want to work. Most of the time the line would kink.

My last idea is getting a premade hose, as those have less bulky fittings on them. The fittings on my lines were practically touching, that is how close they were.

The line is -10 AN, oh, and the car isn't a Honda

Thanks...
Old 04-29-2007, 08:20 PM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that return will work, but it would be a lot better if you could shorten the braided hose a little so that it didnt slope downward....
Old 04-29-2007, 08:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Schister66)

not sure its the case with your motor, but on my d16z6; when the pan is full, there is 2-2.5" from the top of the pan down before there is any oil.
Old 04-29-2007, 09:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

don't even worry where the oil is when the car is off because one your car is running the oil level won't be that high at all. and yes your return line looks good, if its shorten more than in the pic like you said
Old 04-30-2007, 08:53 AM

Default Re: (bigbadboy)

Good point, I was thinking that too. I know when I had the motor out it kept spilling out oil long after I thought it was dry

Yeah, the new line is better though. I'll post a pic later since I have to go out there to take some pics of other stuff anyways.

Thanks for easing my mind :D
Old 04-30-2007, 09:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (khaosman)

it's be better if you shorten the line a bit to get an upward angle on the oil pan side, but overall it's fine

stan
Old 04-30-2007, 05:30 PM

Default Updated line pics...

I couldn't get very good pictures as I had the radiator back in the way, but you can see that it is decently downhill now. I'm not sure if I could improve it much.

Oh, and you can see the place where I tapped to return in the upper oil pan support area
Old 05-14-2007, 07:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Updated line pics... (khaosman)

Mine looks similar do you guys thing the 90 degree off the pan will hurt in any way?

sorry for the thread jack but the info might be vaulable to you also!