Notices

Oil return/ Leaky hot side/ need some suggestions........

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 06:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil return/ Leaky hot side/ need some suggestions........

Sup guys,

Need a lil help with this oil return. It looks like i shouldnt be having any drain issues but im noticing a lil bit of oil collecting on the bottom of the hotside. You can see from the pic its not a lot of oil but its definitely there. Background is a fresh build, just installed kit and the turbo hasnt seen boost yet. PCV system was replaced with a catch can venting from the valve cover and oem port next to the oil filter. I also am venting from one of the ports from the oem breather. I still dont know how extensive this is since i havent yet been able to run the car through its paces. I just recently installed a 45 and routed the line around the charge pipe. The problem im running into is that the moroso pan return setup is kinda in the way of my charge piping (peakboost kit). Again this setup has about 20miles on it without boosting. Check out the pics and lemme know!!

I ran these pics in a series to show how the line flows. The last two pics show the other side of the charge pipe.

Is this slight bend causing the backup even though its still on a decline?
Old 04-26-2007, 06:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry for the POV, it definitely makes it hard to get the alignment.........
Old 04-26-2007, 07:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

uppp....... need some advice, she goes for a tune on the 1st!
Old 04-26-2007, 07:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (slooogsr)

Hard to tell by pics but it looks OK to me.
Old 04-26-2007, 08:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (MooreBoost)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MooreBoost &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hard to tell by pics but it looks OK to me.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Awesome....... i thought the same but im still unsure why its leaking a tiny bit. I may just run with it until after the tune and check things out after i have some miles on it.
Old 04-26-2007, 08:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

How big is your feed?
Old 04-27-2007, 12:09 AM

same things happening to me...it's fine your turbo will be fine just sucks having oil drip where you park lol. hey i go for a tune on the second.
Old 04-27-2007, 04:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (inspyral)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by inspyral &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How big is your feed?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah are you running an oil restrictor?? I had the same problem one time and bought an oil restrictor from ATPTurbo.com and it doesn't do it anymore. I have heard that all honda's need an oil restrictor due to their high oil pressures but I'm not sure if thats true but I will be using them on all my future setups. Thats what I would do if I was in your position.
Old 04-27-2007, 04:47 AM
i my honda
Global Mod

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Oil return/ Leaky hot side/ need some suggestions........ (slooogsr)

Your return looks fine from what I can see, it's probably the feed. I would not just run it like that though.
Old 04-27-2007, 06:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (inspyral)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by inspyral &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How big is your feed?</TD></TR></TABLE>

The feed is a -3, comes with the peakboost kit. Should i use an oil restrictor? Ive heard conflicting advice on this subject, it would be nice to figure it out once and for all........

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by White Smoke &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Your return looks fine from what I can see, it's probably the feed. I would not just run it like that though. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Awesome thanx, ill look into the feed problem then.
Old 04-27-2007, 07:29 AM
i my honda
Global Mod

Yes you should use a restrictor! Contact Stan @ fast-turbo, he was having some -3an restrictors made.
Old 04-27-2007, 07:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (White Smoke)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by White Smoke &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yes you should use a restrictor! Contact Stan @ fast-turbo, he was having some -3an restrictors made.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Def.
Old 04-27-2007, 11:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (delslo93)

The return looks fine.

And it's pretty normal for your turbo to seep a bit like that. As long as it's not totally wet under there I'd say you are fine.
Old 04-27-2007, 11:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Sweet thanx for the responses guys, i decided to run a restrictor and ordered one from ATPturbo like someone did above. Freakin things are expensive as hell......... wish i could have made one.

Old 04-27-2007, 11:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EJ1 wilcox)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EJ1 wilcox &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The return looks fine.

And it's pretty normal for your turbo to seep a bit like that. As long as it's not totally wet under there I'd say you are fine. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yea its just seeping a lil bit, but i still dont have enough miles on it to gauge exactly how much. Oil pressure is upwards of 80psi when its cold and warming up so i figured i should just run a restrictor just in case.

Does a turbo have a break in period? I hear the seals on them are more like piston ring seals........
Old 04-27-2007, 11:56 AM
i my honda
Global Mod

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slooogsr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Sweet thanx for the responses guys, i decided to run a restrictor and ordered one from ATPturbo like someone did above. Freakin things are expensive as hell......... wish i could have made one.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

I thought ATP only had -4 ones??? Stan's were supposed to be pretty cheap. Cheaper then ATP anyway. Did you try to contact him???
Old 04-27-2007, 12:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slooogsr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Does a turbo have a break in period? I hear the seals on them are more like piston ring seals........ </TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't know about a break in period, I don't think so... but you are right on the turbine seal. It's a ring that looks similar to a thick piston ring.
Old 04-27-2007, 12:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by White Smoke &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I thought ATP only had -4 ones??? Stan's were supposed to be pretty cheap. Cheaper then ATP anyway. Did you try to contact him???</TD></TR></TABLE>

****, i didnt freakin look at that...........

http://www.atpturbo.com/Mercha...e=OIL

This is what i ordered, it says it will screw right into t3/t4's etc..... I think it will be fine since my current feed line fitting screws right into the center cartridge as well.
Old 04-27-2007, 12:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by White Smoke &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I thought ATP only had -4 ones??? Stan's were supposed to be pretty cheap. Cheaper then ATP anyway. Did you try to contact him???</TD></TR></TABLE>

No i ordered from atp before you even suggested Stan........ dunno why i didnt even think of contacting him.......
Old 04-27-2007, 01:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I got a restrictor from mcmaster for cheap! What turbo are you running?
Old 04-27-2007, 01:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (B18EG6)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18EG6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I got a restrictor from mcmaster for cheap! What turbo are you running?</TD></TR></TABLE>

T3/T4......... i already ordered one, i didnt even know mcmaster carried them either! Fittings cost too damn much online..........
Old 04-27-2007, 05:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

can anyone confirm that the restrictors are good or bad?
Old 04-27-2007, 05:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (TURBODC4TEG)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TURBODC4TEG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">can anyone confirm that the restrictors are good or bad? </TD></TR></TABLE>

They are good. Everyone I know runs one. Do some searching on oil restrictor and you will find that most people run them.
Old 04-27-2007, 05:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EJ1 wilcox)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EJ1 wilcox &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

They are good. Everyone I know runs one. Do some searching on oil restrictor and you will find that most people run them. </TD></TR></TABLE>

thanks, is it cheaper from atp or stan?
Old 04-27-2007, 06:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (TURBODC4TEG)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TURBODC4TEG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

thanks, is it cheaper from atp or stan?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Id go with Stan, he wont rape you on shipping like atp..........

Quick Reply: Oil return/ Leaky hot side/ need some suggestions........