Notices

Oil Problem, Help

Old 11-28-2005, 08:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Problem, Help

I have a b20/vtec, Golden Eagle LS vtec kit. with the block between filter / block.
Turbo. Both Head oil feed and turbo oil feed run off the GE block.

My Problem is I loose all oil when engine is shut off. I start engine it runs for approx 5-6 seconds before oil presure builds. Also when i change my oil the filter is empty. I swapped oil pumps thinking maybe theres a check valve in there that has gone bad. But that didn't solve it. Here are my questions:
1. is there a checkvalve somewhere in the system? if so where?
2. does the block feeding the turbo/head between the oil filter act as a vent, letting the oil drain back down when engine is shut off?
3. The gasket on the oil pickup tube is there, alittle rough, it could be leaking there. Would that cause these symtoms?

Or any suggestions are welcome.
Engine really fights itself now when i first start, Then oil pressure builds 5-6 seconds later and it smooths out alot.

Thanks,
Captain
Old 11-28-2005, 09:46 PM

Default Re: Oil Problem, Help (captainjdog)

hey man on my stock b16a2 after i added the turbo set up my oil gauge would not read until 5 or 6 seconds to but as far as the oil filter how long did the car sit when you went to change it. but one thing i noticed after boost i oil pressure reads at about 50 55 and a friend of mine said it should be about 70 75 just wondering is that a problem or do i need to up grade the oil pump to get more oil pressure
Old 11-28-2005, 10:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Oil Problem, Help (boosted-EG6)

Pressure should be made the second the motor starts. Do you see pressure when you crank the motor over (without starting it)?

It doesn't sound like a check valve problem. Actually, it sounds more like a gauge problem. Do you trust the gauge you're using?
Old 11-29-2005, 03:23 AM

Default Re: Oil Problem, Help (EnzoSpeed)

yes I have two gauges. My idiot light and my pressure gauge. It will make pressure cranking the motor over w/o starting after 5-6 seconds. I Ran my car to warm up then let the oil drain into the pan. Took off filter say 15 mins later. No significant oil. Atlest not enough to drain down the side of the engine like usual. And when working on lower end, Everytime I would remove the pickup tube I remember oil draining out as soon as I unbolted it. This dosent happen anymore, its already drained. I can't figure it out.

Do you need to install check valves in the turbo feed and head feed lines?

I'm going to replace the seal in the pickup tube. I was thinking an air leak between pickup tube and block might cause it to drain. And put on a new oil pump. See if this fixes it.

I trust both the light and gauge, just because of the way it sounds.

Any comments?

Captain
Old 11-29-2005, 12:38 PM

bump anyone else?
Old 11-29-2005, 01:42 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by captainjdog &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Do you need to install check valves in the turbo feed and head feed lines? </TD></TR></TABLE>

no

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm going to replace the seal in the pickup tube. I was thinking an air leak between pickup tube and block </TD></TR></TABLE>

That's a good place to start (and an easy fix). I've heard of people having that problem before. I always re-use the gasket with good results, but maybe I've just been lucky in the past. It's recommended to replace the gasket every time the pickup is removed.
Old 11-29-2005, 02:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

bad oil filters can also prevent oil from flowing through the motor.

This was my first thought when you said there wasn't any oil in the filter.

Especially if your idiot light isn't coming on.
Old 11-29-2005, 02:35 PM

Default Re: Oil Problem, Help (mike1114)

Thanks Enzo I wasn't aware of that. I've always reused mine, I've reused it about umm 15 times so far heh. That was my main Idea. when I say there is no oil in filter thats only after car has been sitting. And I've changed oil fliters 2-3 times since i've been having this problem. Just want to get it cleared up. I'll post my results of the pickup tube gasket
Old 11-29-2005, 02:36 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

um... that could be a problem... change your filter everytime you change your oil
Old 11-29-2005, 07:13 PM

Default Re: Oil Problem, Help (wantboost)

^^Poor wantboost - he's confused

Anyway, the symptoms you described sound a lot like a bad pickup gasket. If I may steal the analogy that someone once used: a bad pickup gasket creates problems for the oil pump similar to a person trying to drink through a broken straw.

In other words, air gets in between the pickup and block and ruins the syphon effect that pulls fresh oil into the pump. If you've ever tried to drink through a broken straw, you know what I'm talking about - it's almost impossible to get fluid all the way to the top of the straw.

Although you should also see a lower peak oil pressure if that's the case.
Old 11-29-2005, 08:36 PM

That makes perfect sence. I"m picking up a new oem gasket tomorrow. Toss it in this weekend. Thanks for the advice/openion Enzo.

Captain
Old 12-01-2005, 11:51 PM

well on my car i use a mechanical guage vs the electric so would that make a difference?