Notices

OIL PRESSURE STILL GOING HIGH????

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 08:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OIL PRESSURE STILL GOING HIGH????

something isnt right. according to my gauge it gets over 150psi sometimes at almost redline. weither my gauge is wrong or its really going that high. i have SPA dual digital gauges. anyone have these issues and where can i start to locate the reason my oil pressure is getting this high if it really is. its a fresh built gsr boosted with brand new obd2 oil pump

i lowered my oil weight to 10w40, changed my filter. the car seems to run good and not even hiccup. wouldnt i be blowing seals if i really hitting that high of oil pressure

Modified by Mr HYDE at 10:53 AM 5/8/2007
Old 05-07-2007, 09:07 PM

Default Re: OIL PRESSURE STILL GOING HIGH???? (Mr HYDE)

double check your Ground and ground it to ur battery....see if that helps..
Old 05-07-2007, 09:10 PM

Default Re: OIL PRESSURE STILL GOING HIGH???? (iBrandon)

you think the gauge is of because of the ground. explain id like to know. i acutally have my power and grounds linked together between the 2 gauges. if this is bad lmk please
Old 05-07-2007, 09:14 PM

Some gauges are funny..and need a solid ground or they will read all over the place....I have a couple gauges that didnt read correctly...went back and decided to ground the gauge straight to the battery...problem solved...but thats me...doesnt hurt to try though..
Old 05-07-2007, 09:21 PM

Default Re: OIL PRESSURE STILL GOING HIGH???? (iBrandon)

it seems to be reading fine while im driving, the gauges have a low battery warning light which was flashing but i lowered the battery warn light so it would stop blinking. i extended the wires then wired them together to the power and together to a ground. should i separate them all together. also they came with a inline fuse that kept falling out. im really hoping its the gauge thats screwing up. i think if i was really hitting that high of oil pressure id notice somethign going wrong
Old 05-08-2007, 04:32 AM
i my honda
Global Mod

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm getting tired of seeing these threads pop up when you have been told numerous times what to try. What is this like your 5th thread about this? Have you done ANYTHING to the setup that we have suggested?

Did you try another filter? Have you changed to a lighter weight oil? If those don't change anything try another gauge. After that pull the pan. Come back when you have actually done something. Sorry but this is annoying! /thread and rant
Old 05-08-2007, 06:45 AM

Default Re: OIL PRESSURE STILL GOING HIGH???? (White Smoke)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by White Smoke &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm getting tired of seeing these threads pop up when you have been told numerous times what to try. What is this like your 5th thread about this? Have you done ANYTHING to the setup that we have suggested?

Did you try another filter? Have you changed to a lighter weight oil? If those don't change anything try another gauge. After that pull the pan. Come back when you have actually done something. Sorry but this is annoying! /thread and rant</TD></TR></TABLE>

stfu, i lowered my weight, changed my oil, changed my filter. do you not think ive not tried anything? this is the second thread not the 5th you *******. i dont really care if you find this annoying. i find my oil pressure sky rocketing annoying. get off my sack and stop worrying about what threads i make. the gauge reads fine as im driving around. the motor runs fine. what i dont understand is why the oil pressure is so high. sorry but its annoying and all im trying to do is figure out the problems. your suggestions didnt work.

back on topic. my question was would the gauge really be reading wrong like that if its grounded out correct. it works fine i just get these 150 oil pressure shots when i go close to 9 or hit the rev limiter

Modified by Mr HYDE at 10:59 AM 5/8/2007

Modified by Mr HYDE at 11:01 AM 5/8/2007
Old 05-08-2007, 07:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

What kind of readings are you getting at idle/part throttle? I took a quick look over the thread and didn't see any numbers. Also, where is your sensor positioned?
Old 05-08-2007, 07:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you should get a mechnical oil press gauge, and hook that up, and to a test run and see what happens... they are cheap enough to where it shouldnt hinder ur check book but yet help you diagnose if the electrical gauge is bad.
Old 05-08-2007, 07:08 AM

Default Re: (Snafubmx234)

at idle it will be between 18 and 25, my sensor is in my oil sandwich plate.

i hope its not the gauge but at the same time id be more glad if it was. they are expensive gauges. would the way they are wired really make them screw up. i never had a problem with anything i wired before. im going to put a mechanic gauge on. before i did me and the guy who helped build the motor took my car for a drive and he said the gauge looks to be reading fine. we did some hard pulls and it never went above 90. of course it didnt when i was trying to show him.
Old 05-08-2007, 09:37 AM
i my honda
Global Mod

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mr HYDE &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i lowered my oil weight to 10w40, changed my filter. the car seems to run good and not even hiccup. wouldnt i be blowing seals if i really hitting that high of oil pressure</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thats all you had to say, no need for the **** fit and name calling. Posting this information obviously helps in diagnosing your problem. You could have just updated one of your other posts. I checked if you had before making my first post. BTW, I counted 4 posts in relation to this problem.

A weak gauge ground would not cause this type of false reading but a bad sensor ground would. Some sensors use the base of the sensor as a ground and others use 2 wire sensors which would be grounded to the gauge itself. You say your sensor is in an oil sandwich adapter... If your sensor is only one wire, trying adding a ground wire from the sensor housing to the block or chassis and see if that makes a diffrence.

Since you are reading ~25psi at idle it sounds like its dead on there but if the oil adapter is adding resistance to ground then that would defiantly cause your problem.

Separating a the + and _ power wires is pointless, don't waste your time.
Old 05-08-2007, 08:32 PM

Default Re: OIL PRESSURE STILL GOING HIGH???? (White Smoke)

sorry for blowing up on ya, but it is seriously stressing me out. its a fresh built motor and i changed the weight and everything. the gauge seems to be accurate it while driving. it only goes up that high every once in awhile according to the peak. i did watch it the one time i did a hard pull from 4th to 5th and went hard into 5th to see if it would go high and it went to around 118 psi. some people were telling me to shim or port the oil pump. my oil temps are rather low too not going above 150. i dont think its the ground and positie of the acutal gauge because it has boost right above it and that seems to be accurate as well.
Old 05-08-2007, 08:36 PM

also its more then 1 wire going to the sensor.