Notices

oil pressure sending unit question

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2004, 12:36 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil pressure sending unit question

i helped a friend install the oil pressure sending unit to the block. i applied a little bit of hondabond on the threads and screwed it in. i screwed it in with a wrench as much as i could until it was hand tight. there is still some room to screw in the oil pressure unit, but i didnt want to take the chance of crackin a piece of the block where it connects to. ive read about those horror stories from screwin it on too tight. is it alright to leave some threads left unscrewed as long as its screwed on hand tight with a wrench? or am i supposed to screw it all the way until it touches the block? theres only a few threads left unscrewed. its not leaking or anything.. not that i know of at least.
Old 05-16-2004, 02:01 PM

it will stick out some, expecially if you are cross threading bpst with npt
Old 05-16-2004, 03:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (xrunner86x)

i'm not too sure what the torque specs on the unit is but i hand tightened mine at first, then used a tool to make it a bit more tight. I was worried about the same thing, overtightining the unit, but it works fine, no leaks just the way it is.
Old 05-17-2004, 09:03 AM
New User

Default Re: (xrunner86x)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by xrunner86x &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it will stick out some, expecially if you are cross threading bpst with npt </TD></TR></TABLE>

huh? haha bpst? npt?
Old 05-17-2004, 09:06 AM

Default Re: (SIK IN DA HED)

bspt joo mean?
Old 05-17-2004, 09:12 AM

are you talking about an oil press sending unit for an elec oil press gauge?
if so, the horror stories of cracking the block are usually associated with the large sending unit being screwed directly into the block and the weight of the unit coupled with the vibration of the engine leading to the block developing a crack. in this case it is recommended to run a line from the block to the firewall, and then attach the sender to the firewall and screw into the line.

as for the npt/bspt comment, it refers to the different threading between the block and most other threading used in fittings in the US. most people either get a 1/8 npt to bspt adapter before screwing in the sender or oil feed line or tap the block. there are plenty who have screwed in their fitting straight into the block with no leaks, but many have experienced leaks as well, since the threading isn't exactly made for it. good luck, and take pics if you can so more pple can help
Old 05-17-2004, 11:45 AM
New User

got it.

i was mainly referring to screwing in the oil pressure sending unit itself without the adapter.
Old 05-17-2004, 12:20 PM
H-T White Ops

OK, I'm going to a blatant plug for this thing again.

http://shop.vendio.com/funinfe....html
Old 05-17-2004, 12:37 PM

Default Re: (IslandSi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by IslandSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">OK, I'm going to a blatant plug for this thing again.

http://shop.vendio.com/funinfe....html</TD></TR></TABLE>

It is these type of fittings that break a peice of the block off. unless you use those ports to run seperate lines, but then it would be a waste of money anyway......there is too much weight hanging off the fitting
Old 05-17-2004, 01:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (FwdCivicHatch)

Best way is to get the bspt fitting from Flamenco T, and then run a line to the fire wall where you can attach all your sending units/oil T's.
The last thing you want it a fitting to break or the strip your block- do it the right way.

Ben
Old 05-17-2004, 01:02 PM
New User

that fitting looks better than the squarish one i was using. so that fitting is what most people are talkin to in regards to breaking a piece off the block from being too tight? oh ok. i thought they meant from screwing in the oil pressure unit as well. thanks for the info.
Old 05-17-2004, 01:44 PM
GSRswapandslow.

the tuner toys fittings are AWESOME!

i hav two of them sitting right here in front of me...

and run a line off the fitting to the firewall and mount the FPSU on the firewall, that easy
Old 05-17-2004, 02:20 PM

Default Re: oil pressure sending unit question (SIK IN DA HED)

These are some of the pics of my horror story, lol. It sucked SOOO bad.

FYI, quite a bit of thread will still be showing. The oil pressure sensor is tapered, meaning the more you turn it the more it expands in the thread, thus cracking that god damn piece. I think the Helm's manual says to torque it to 6-8 ft/lbs. In the future torque it to that (it's not very much!). In the meantime DO NOT TOUCH IT!! It's in there and doesn't leak so don't touch a god damn thing . Unless of course you wanna learn the hard way (see pics above, hehe)
Old 05-17-2004, 02:21 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SIK IN DA HED &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> so that fitting is what most people are talkin to in regards to breaking a piece off the block from being too tight? oh ok. i thought they meant from screwing in the oil pressure unit as well.</TD></TR></TABLE>

YES! The oil pressure sensor will crack it too because it is tapered.
Old 05-17-2004, 02:21 PM
GSRswapandslow.

the tuner toys fitting is tapered!
Old 05-17-2004, 03:20 PM
H-T White Ops

Just don't wrench the hell out of it and don't mount your OPSU directly to it to keep the weight off the actual fitting and block. Shouldn't have any problems.
Old 05-17-2004, 04:35 PM
GSRswapandslow.

13 ft/lbs actually