Notices

oil pressure gauge

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 02:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil pressure gauge

First off this is my first time posting on Honda-tech please let me know if anything in this post isn't up to par well I'm building a turbo gsr setup I am thinking of running an oil pressure guage I have been playing with civics and integra for a while now and never had a problem with the oil pressure warning light it has always done what I needed it to do I just don't want to buy a gauge if I don't realy need it thanks for any advice!
Old 12-05-2011, 04:41 PM
Premium Member

Received 163 Likes on 150 Posts
Default Re: oil pressure gauge

Oil pressure warning light is more of a dummy light anyway...The only time I've ever seen it come on is when there's not even enough oil to show on the dipstick...depending on the condition of things, by the time the light even comes on you could have already done serious damage to something. An oil pressure gauge isn't a must obviously but it's helpful and handy to have. So no, you don't really need it. But if you want to be more "in the know" about what's going on inside your engine, I'd recommend one. Mechanical is fine, and they're on the cheaper side. Just make sure whoever installs it knows what they're doing, wouldn't want to blow a ferrule out and screw up your motor. Or if you're uncomfortable with running an oil line into your car, electrical gauges aren't much more but they're not as accurate.
Old 12-06-2011, 05:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Aradin
Oil pressure warning light is more of a dummy light anyway...The only time I've ever seen it come on is when there's not even enough oil to show on the dipstick...depending on the condition of things, by the time the light even comes on you could have already done serious damage to something. An oil pressure gauge isn't a must obviously but it's helpful and handy to have. So no, you don't really need it. But if you want to be more "in the know" about what's going on inside your engine, I'd recommend one. Mechanical is fine, and they're on the cheaper side. Just make sure whoever installs it knows what they're doing, wouldn't want to blow a ferrule out and screw up your motor. Or if you're uncomfortable with running an oil line into your car, electrical gauges aren't much more but they're not as accurate.
I have on in my car (electrical) and I love it! I agree with everything he says too above. It's been a great tool for after my engine build or anything of the sort to know that I have good pressure.
Old 12-06-2011, 06:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gauges I ran on my last turbo build:

Oil Pressure
Wideband O2
EGT
Boost/Vac

All of them proved to be extremely useful in both tuning and diagnostics.
Old 12-06-2011, 07:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oil pressure guage is a must on a turbo'd honda.....the dash light comes on a 0psi....thats right it only reads if there is NO oil pressure

what you NEED:

oil pressure
boost/vac
wideband o2

highly recomend getting;

water temp (stock sucks) i'd almost add this to the need
egt

get mechanical gauges....