Notices

Oil Filter thread problem. How would you fix this situation.????

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 02:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Oil Filter thread problem. How would you fix this situation.????

Some of you may have read in another post I was involved in (i didn't create) about oil coolers and sandwhich adapters for the back of the block.

I ran two egay sandwhich adapters off the back of the block. Long story short, I tightened some fittings down again the other day, just for the hell of it.

Well I made a big mistake cause I pulled the male OEM oil filter threads out of the block. There is still enough thread left in the back of the block that I can make something work.

My problem is that the oil filter relocater I'm going to use now, is female threaded. The block is now female threaded also. Do you think I can screw back in the OEM male threaded piece and then put the oil filter relocator on top of it? I have no way to tighten the OEM male threads down other than by hand.

Does anyone think I'll have any problem with leaks since I cannot tighten the threads into the block?

This is what it looked like before the threads stripped out of the block:

Old 11-06-2006, 03:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Oil Filter thread problem. How would you fix this situation.???? (mike1114)

bump
Old 11-06-2006, 05:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Oil Filter thread problem. How would you fix this situation.???? (mike1114)

my mom says I'm cool.
Old 11-06-2006, 05:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mike1114 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">my mom says I'm cool.</TD></TR></TABLE>

she lied
Old 11-06-2006, 06:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Oil Filter thread problem. How would you fix this situation.???? (non-VTEC)

so......you pulled the threads out of the block that holds the oil filter?........hmmmm......thats very very bad..........you may have to remove the engine and have a good machine shop attempt to repair it.........but they will probably tell you there is no guarantee it will work/hold up?

even if there are "some" threads left like you say......there is always lots of oil pressure behind that filter and with constant oil filter replacement there is always gonna be stress on those threads/adapters........

fix it/have it fixed or find a new block?
Old 11-06-2006, 07:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Oil Filter thread problem. How would you fix this situation.???? (non-VTEC)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by non-VTEC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so......you pulled the threads out of the block that holds the oil filter?........hmmmm......thats very very bad..........you may have to remove the engine and have a good machine shop attempt to repair it.........but they will probably tell you there is no guarantee it will work/hold up?

even if there are "some" threads left like you say......there is always lots of oil pressure behind that filter and with constant oil filter replacement there is always gonna be stress on those threads/adapters........

fix it/have it fixed or find a new block? </TD></TR></TABLE>

yep, i dont see an easy quick fix to this other than pulling the motor, cleaning up the damaged are or going larger to run a different oil filter stud set up
Old 11-07-2006, 04:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Oil Filter thread problem. How would you fix this situation.???? (mrbsponge)

the threads that it pulled out are way less than the amount of threads still left in the block. Those oil filter threads are not threaded in as far as you may think.

Does Honda just thread the male piece in there and thats it or do they use some kind of sealer to hold it in?

From the looks of it so far, it is just threaded in. I haven't gotten the male threaded piece out of the piece of block that came off yet.

Seriously though, it is very minimal. I'll try to take a picture but it is a very tight space.

I think this is an easy repair as well......also, an oil filter relocator will be screwed into the back of the block now. I will not be threading on/off oil filter on the back of the block anymore.

Old 11-07-2006, 05:34 AM
Moderator in Chief

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How did you pull it out of the block?
Old 11-07-2006, 05:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Oil Filter thread problem. How would you fix this situation.???? (Muckman)

tighening the sandwhich adapters in the pic above.

Originally the fittings that held the adapters were too long and prevented the adapters from making a perfect seal, so I took them off and grinded down like an 1/8 inch so they would not bottom out first. I solved the leak problem but then caused something worse when I tighened them down too much and it broke a piece of the block off.

Does Honda just thread the male piece in there and thats it or do they use some kind of sealer to hold it in?

From the looks of it so far, it is just threaded in. I haven't gotten the male threaded piece out of the piece of block that came off yet.

Modified by mike1114 at 3:20 PM 11/7/2006
Old 11-07-2006, 09:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

pics:

Old 11-07-2006, 10:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To properly tighten the oil filter feed pipe into the block use two 20 x 1.5 mm nuts jammed together and then screw it in. Then remove the nuts and you are done. Hopefully you have enough treads left in the block to hold it in. You can order nuts from Honda with part number 94002-20080-0s, you just have to cut the castle part of the nut off. Hope that helps.
Old 11-07-2006, 11:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Oil Filter thread problem. How would you fix this situation.???? (jjspec)

I've been looking for two 20X1.5mm nuts forever. I was actually going to take the threads out of the block and use a different adapter orignally but gave up cause I could not find nuts of that size.

Most places I've looked wanted me to buy like 25 cause its special order and they were like $8.99 EACH.

Honestly....I'm thinking about hand tightening.

When you buy headstuds, you hand tighten them then put the head on and tighten in a 3 step process.

Since I WILL NOT BE PUTTING OIL FILTERS ON THE BACK OF THE BLOCK ANYMORE, I'm pretty sure I can just spin on the oil filter relocator and tighten down, just like headstuds and be done with it.
Old 11-07-2006, 11:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, them nuts are about $10 at the local Honda dealer. Try it and see. You might want to use loctite, though.
Old 11-07-2006, 12:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Oil Filter thread problem. How would you fix this situation.???? (jjspec)

Honda does have those nuts. There used on the OEM heat exchanger on ITR and older GSR's
Old 03-29-2014, 09:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Oil Filter thread problem. How would you fix this situation.????

Help!..Is the threaded pipe/male that threads into the block right hand thread or left hand thread?
Help..I need to know before I attempt to remove the one in my B16 block?

Last edited by waspworks; 03-29-2014 at 10:58 AM.
Old 03-29-2014, 10:56 AM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Standard thread - not reverse.
Old 03-29-2014, 11:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank's...I sure appreciate your feedback!!!