Notices

Oil cooler questions!

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2006, 04:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil cooler questions!

Hi,

I have done a bit of researching on things to do as far as helping keep my engine temps down, i have done as much as i can as far as radiator/coolant cooling etc.. In traffic on a hot day, my temps easily start to rise from 190-195.

Now im looking for other options, the only things i havent done yet, are a bigger fan.. something with some more cfm then my 12" slim.. (1600cfm), maybe something 2500+ and mount as a pusher.. (lots of room).

Id also like to run an oil cooler, im looking at this kit https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1659574

Seems to have everything i need to help keep it simple, i dont have tons of time to spend fixing my car (i know shouldnta bought a honda ) So I was considering this kit, and mounting the cooler in the drivers side wheel well, and building some ducting to direct heat, (my IC piping dosent go though this area).

Main questions.. Is this core big enough?? will it do the job? and are these things supposed to have any type of thermostat or fan setup? Maybe i could add a small fan? IS it possible for the oil to get too cold? should i run a oil temp gauge?

Thanks for the opinions im sure i will get! A pic of the car below!

Old 07-30-2006, 05:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Oil cooler questions! (HamiltonRex)

if you don't have an oil temp gauge you will never know how hot your oil gets.

BUT i can tell you though that even driving around in normal traffic for a little over an hour my oil temps climb to over 215deg.......and thats without even pushing the car hard at all.

when on the road course i cant do more than 3 laps without the needle going passed 270+deg........

the turbo does seem to make everything heat up that much more.......all the cooling you can provide the engine will only help. you (and i) should invest in an oil cooler especially if you like to do some lapping/track/racing events.

the one you linked looks like a nice kit but i don't care for relocating the filter from the OEM location. just more of a chance of something to fail.
Old 08-01-2006, 04:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Oil cooler questions! (non-VTEC)

Thanks alot.

Im looking into a fan with a higher CFM rating, an will be ordering an oil cooler kit shortly
Old 08-01-2006, 06:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Oil cooler questions! (HamiltonRex)

look at the permacool 14 inch. it flows 2950CFM.

you dont need a fan for the oil cooler. that core will drop you temps alot, you might even need a thermostate for the cooler to keep the temps higher.

platinum.