Notices

oil cooler core mounted to back of FMIC?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 05:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default oil cooler core mounted to back of FMIC?

Anyone ever mounted an oil cooler setup on the backside of their FMIC? I want to install an oil cooler but running out of optimal space to locate it. Just looking for a few options.

1) would the oil cooler get sufficient air flow if mounted on the back of the FMIC?
2) would mounting the oil cooler like this take away from cooling area of the FMIC and/or the FMIC be subject to heat soak from the oil cooler?
3) do they make electric fans small enough for an oil cooler core?
Old 03-10-2007, 05:39 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: oil cooler core mounted to back of FMIC? (I love lamp.)

Here's how I had my other HPDE integra's oil cooler. It is located right behind the intercooler and was great. I don't recommend a relocation kit with the oil cooler. I starved a cylinder head that way.

Old 03-10-2007, 05:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

HPDE is the main reason Im looking into this.

Im not sure what you mean by not recommending a "relocation kit" though? Ive checked out a few kits but most seem to include similar parts.
Old 03-10-2007, 06:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (I love lamp.)

He is talking about a Filter relocation kit..... I had a friend who toasted a brand new B20 Vtec by having both filter relocation and oil cooler... he ended up dynoing and putting down around 240whp and then dropped a valve on the way home due to starving the head of oil.
Old 03-10-2007, 06:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks. I believe most kits Ive seen mount the filter using a sandwich adapter. Ill have to see what options are available. If you have any suggestions on which kits you would recommend, that would be great.

Also, in conjuction with oil lines for the turbo, will the oil cooler core and additional lines lower my oil pressure even more? Im wondering if I should remove my restrictor for the turbo feed line when I add the oil cooler.
Old 03-10-2007, 08:29 AM

wow, this thread scares me, i just installed an oil cooler kit with relocator on my h22. i removal the balance shafts, plugging the respective passages which raises the pressure...would I have problems with this? what if i get one of those oil pump gears?
Old 03-10-2007, 08:35 AM

Default Re: oil cooler core mounted to back of FMIC? (RudeLude)

you should be ok you gotta add more oil to compensate for the oil lines and oil cooler. as long as you do that you should be ok.
Old 03-10-2007, 08:51 AM

Default Re: oil cooler core mounted to back of FMIC? (95jeremie)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95jeremie &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you should be ok you gotta add more oil to compensate for the oil lines and oil cooler. as long as you do that you should be ok.</TD></TR></TABLE>
its just just the shear amount of oil needed that is causing the problem...its the fact that the stock oil pump cant provide enough pressure across the increase area of the oil cooler, extra lines, etc....all that piping etc has loss coefficents that are restricing the flow...hence why when to much is added you have oil startvation issues like the shoden mentioned
Old 03-10-2007, 08:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

can that issue be bandaided by using a thinner weight oil?
Old 03-10-2007, 09:13 AM

if you are running the jdm oil coolers on the back of the block, where the filter goes, would a external oil cooler do anything more for cooling oil? or not?

wasnt sure if you were running one of those jdm oil coolers or not
Old 03-10-2007, 09:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (b18sihatch)

Just to get one thing straight they are not JDM oil coolers....... they come on USDM and JDM B18C's and also on some B16's..... Honda would have never put them there in the first place if they did not work. They work fine from the factory because it is getting the coolant that is coming from the radiator and it cools the oil before it goes into the head or block....
Old 03-10-2007, 09:27 AM

Default Re: (BoostedEG6)

yes, however the ones i was refering to was the jdm ones anyhowever either way

what i was saying is do you think they run efficent enough to not have to run a external, i know they work, but in a high whp application are they efficent enough?
Old 03-10-2007, 09:56 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by I love lamp. &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Anyone ever mounted an oil cooler setup on the backside of their FMIC? I want to install an oil cooler but running out of optimal space to locate it. Just looking for a few options.

1) would the oil cooler get sufficient air flow if mounted on the back of the FMIC?
2) would mounting the oil cooler like this take away from cooling area of the FMIC and/or the FMIC be subject to heat soak from the oil cooler?
3) do they make electric fans small enough for an oil cooler core?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I've had an oil cooler mounted to the back of my intercooler. That arrangement worked fine. I'm now running an oil cooler kit from MaxSpeed Motorsports on Ebay (I know). The cooler core is mounted in place of the A/C condensor. There seems to be sufficient airflow in this location.

The problem I am having is an oil leak at the back of the block. I'm not sure if the fittings are leaking for the cooler or the oil feed line. Other than the leak I love the system. I plan to remove the cooler to isolate the leak.

I would recommend a thermostat in the system. In my original configuration w/o the thermostat oil temps took forever to get up to temperature.
Old 03-10-2007, 09:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I already have the stock ITR oil cooler in place, plus another sandwich adapter for the turbo oil lines, so I dont know how I am gonna run additional lines for the remote oil cooler w/o using a remote filter location kit. The stock oil cooler works sufficient enough for an all motor setup, but on a boosted setup with oil lines to and from the turbo, as well as higher water and exhaust temps, it is not sufficient which is why I am looking to add a remote cooler. I already have an oil temp sensor in place and my oil temps are stable under normal driving on the street but its on the track (HPDE) where I am concerned.
Old 03-10-2007, 11:33 AM

Default Re: oil cooler core mounted to back of FMIC? (creechrr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by creechrr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I've had an oil cooler mounted to the back of my intercooler. That arrangement worked fine. I'm now running an oil cooler kit from MaxSpeed Motorsports on Ebay (I know). The cooler core is mounted in place of the A/C condensor. There seems to be sufficient airflow in this location.

The problem I am having is an oil leak at the back of the block. I'm not sure if the fittings are leaking for the cooler or the oil feed line. Other than the leak I love the system. I plan to remove the cooler to isolate the leak.

I would recommend a thermostat in the system. In my original configuration w/o the thermostat oil temps took forever to get up to temperature.</TD></TR></TABLE>

do you have any probs with oil pressure? thats the same oil cooler kit that i have, but i dont have a pressure guage as yet to see if theres a huge drop in pressure.
Old 03-10-2007, 05:00 PM

Default Re: oil cooler core mounted to back of FMIC? (RudeLude)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RudeLude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

do you have any probs with oil pressure? thats the same oil cooler kit that i have, but i dont have a pressure guage as yet to see if theres a huge drop in pressure.</TD></TR></TABLE>

The drop in pressure is minimal, even with turbo oil feed line and the oil cooler arrangement.

To clarify, i have the kit that uses the Mocal sandwich adapter. Do you have any leaks?
Old 03-10-2007, 06:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

checked out the maxspeed piece, looks very nice. have you guys found it cheaper to put a "kit" together on your own or just buy a complete kit? it seems the cooler core is the most expensive part. if anyone has any good sites to check out for the core that would be awesome.

also, is about 5 ft of line long enough to reach the back of the block if you have the cooler mounted by the FMIC? most kits seem to come with about 5ft of line.
Old 03-10-2007, 06:33 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: oil cooler core mounted to back of FMIC? (drumking15)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by drumking15 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
its just just the shear amount of oil needed that is causing the problem...its the fact that the stock oil pump cant provide enough pressure across the increase area of the oil cooler, extra lines, etc....all that piping etc has loss coefficents that are restricing the flow...hence why when to much is added you have oil startvation issues like the shoden mentioned </TD></TR></TABLE>

This is exactly what happened in my example, with oil starvation. This is different than the OEM oil coolers from the Type R (which are water to oil ). Using a different pump gear does not solve the problem, because they are of a different MATERIAL, not a higher amount of oil pressure. This time around, I used the sandwich plate method with no oil relocation.
Old 03-10-2007, 07:20 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by I love lamp. &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">checked out the maxspeed piece, looks very nice. have you guys found it cheaper to put a "kit" together on your own or just buy a complete kit? it seems the cooler core is the most expensive part. if anyone has any good sites to check out for the core that would be awesome.

also, is about 5 ft of line long enough to reach the back of the block if you have the cooler mounted by the FMIC? most kits seem to come with about 5ft of line. </TD></TR></TABLE>

That's the length of hose that I have. It should be sufficient.

The problem that I'm having with the MaxSpeed kit is the 90* fittings not sealing. I've tried assembling the kit w/o the 90* fittings but, there's no way to attached the lines to the sandwich adapter cleanly. There is just too much stuff in the area.

I'm out of ideas. I can't find away to attach the lines w/o the 90* fittings. Suggestions?

I found this:

Any thoughts?

Modified by creechrr at 8:39 PM 3/10/2007
Old 03-10-2007, 07:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

here is the maxspeed piece I found. you cant just attach the 90* swivel fitting to the straight fittings coming out of the sandwich adapter? this is the setup I am probably going to go with. it looks solid and comes with quality parts.

Old 03-10-2007, 07:42 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by I love lamp. &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">here is the maxspeed piece I found. you cant just attach the 90* swivel fitting to the straight fittings coming out of the sandwich adapter?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I just spent about an hour trying different methods of routing the hoses but, I haven't found a path that would allow the deletion of the 90* fittings. par of the problem is the hoses have crimped hose ends, so no flexibility at the ends.
Old 03-10-2007, 11:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by I love lamp. &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Anyone ever mounted an oil cooler setup on the backside of their FMIC? I want to install an oil cooler but running out of optimal space to locate it. Just looking for a few options.

3) do they make electric fans small enough for an oil cooler core?</TD></TR></TABLE>

1) The only problem i would forsee is that you would block some flow from both. maybe the oil cooler might heat up the FMIC. or viceversa

2) I would say yes becuase your blocking some flow

3) i would say yes becuase someone has to make one

p.s. do you port h22 vtec solonoids are you ever gonna come out with ported camshaft solonoids for the i-vtecs
Old 03-11-2007, 06:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by I love lamp. &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

This company called setrab makes them.
Old 03-11-2007, 07:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks pedro

whats better, plate type or fin type for the cooler core?
Old 03-11-2007, 07:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The only real problem with Honda's oil coolers - is the water temp entering them. All of the water outlets availible on our motors pass by a cylinder or three before you can tap into the coolant. By then should be around its opperating temp of 170+. I can't speak for all hondas, but the majority don't have any outlets right after the pump. It will help if you're running very high oil temps, which is 220+ in harsh conditions, which would be seriously hot streets or any track usage.

As for the cooler to use, the plate type (all tubes in parallel like a radiator) is best, as they provide the least pressure drop. Multi-tubes are more for auto tranny coolers, as they don't need pressure as much as they need clean, cool lube.

What I don't understand is how simply moving the oil filter from the block area to middle of the lines makes a huge pressure drop. It certainly wouldn't be from the larger filter they use, which would be less restrictive. All the relocation kits I've seen are basicly a sandwich adapter w/o the filter on it. So how does this exactly create a starvation, the only difference being oil filter location?

Quick Reply: oil cooler core mounted to back of FMIC?