Notices

Oil cooler fitting help

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2016, 04:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil cooler fitting help

I've just had an oil cooler built up for my turbo b16 as im getting some high temps after driving it hard.
Thought it would just be a case of get the cooler and the oil lines and i'm done.
The more i read the more i realise i've not thought it through well enough.
My first problem is i only have one port left on my sandwich plate out of the 4 it came with. 1 being the oil line to the turbo the other 2 for my oil press and temp gauges.
I've got the stock oil cooler mounted that comes on the b series. I was thinking of running my lines off of that as the lines look to be an8( the same size as my cooler fittings). However im pretty sure they are water lines??

Now i'm reading about thermostats and inline pumps. How necessary are these? I could easily fit the stat more concerned about the pump. My bay is already cluttered!
Old 04-30-2016, 11:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Oil cooler fitting help

Originally Posted by philcivicjordan
I've just had an oil cooler built up for my turbo b16 as im getting some high temps after driving it hard.
Thought it would just be a case of get the cooler and the oil lines and i'm done.
The more i read the more i realise i've not thought it through well enough.
My first problem is i only have one port left on my sandwich plate out of the 4 it came with. 1 being the oil line to the turbo the other 2 for my oil press and temp gauges.
I've got the stock oil cooler mounted that comes on the b series. I was thinking of running my lines off of that as the lines look to be an8( the same size as my cooler fittings). However im pretty sure they are water lines??
The stock "cooler" is not a cooler it is a heat exchanger, and yes those lines you are referring to are water lines and not a -an fitting whatsoever its just a rubber hose fitting. It exchanges heat between oil and water to make the temperatures more less the same. As long as you have an adequate radiator this will keep your oil temps down.

When running an aftermarket oil cooler you would typically get a sandwich plate with the correct fittings, usually you can find these in kits with 8an or something similar, if your current sandwhich plate uses -3an or -4an this will not work as the lines are way too small

Oil cooler thermostat is important because you do not want to cool your oil at all until it is above operating temp, if your oil is cooler then it should be you can cause damage to the motor. As far as the oil pump I dont think you need another pump just read the notes shodan posted in your other thread as far as mounting the cooler in a suitable orientation

Update: to add to this to use the stock b series exchanger you will also need the correct water pipe which has an additional fitting for a water line that goes to the cooler, and a fitting that screws into the back of the block for the other water line.
Old 04-30-2016, 12:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Perfect reply buddy! Thought i might have to invest in a new sandwich plate. I can just t off for my gauges in other place i guess?
Old 04-30-2016, 01:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Perfect reply buddy! Thought i might have to invest in a new sandwich plate. I can just t off for my gauges in other place i guess?

yes or the regular one everyone t's off ...stock oil pressure sensor, depending on the kit it may come with samller fittings as well

Ive been looking at this: Mishimoto Universal Engine Oil Cooler Kit 10 Row Mmoc U Silver | eBay

it appears the sandwhich plate gives 2x -3an or -4an hard to say as they dont talk about it in the listing
Old 04-30-2016, 02:51 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

If you do decide on the Mishimoto oil cooler kit, make sure you get the thermostatic version, that has the internal oil thermostat within the system. Do not use any type of oil relocation kit if you get one.

Ensure that the oil cooler itself is BELOW the oil filter, and that fittings at the oil cooler are only at the top or at the 90* angle side. Do not run the oil cooler inverted.

The oil feed line for your turbocharger is best to be relocated to the oil sending unit, unless there are enough fittings holes to support both.

Do not run any smaller than -10AN on the oil lines.

Oil coolers really are for hard street and circuit conditions. It will completely substitute the OEM oil/water cooler that you have, and you SHOULD NOT STACK PLATES FOR ANY REASON.
Old 04-30-2016, 03:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I already have a oil cooler with an 8 fittings i'll have more input when im less drunk sorry
Old 04-30-2016, 03:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

As shodan said its really not necessary for 90% of street cars

Ill say it again, I recommend just using the exchanger and not the cooler for street use, I actually had a exchanger for my turbo build but sold it upon shodans recommendation of keeping things simple

Originally Posted by TheShodan
Do not run any smaller than -10AN on the oil lines.
whats wrong with 8an? seems like you would get less pressure loss with a smaller hose

Last edited by 2kdrift; 04-30-2016 at 03:46 PM.
Old 04-30-2016, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by 2kdrift
whats wrong with 8an? seems like you would get less pressure loss with a smaller hose
We have found some over-pressurization going that small. 8AN is still possible in some engines, but not B and K. It's not worth fighting to keep with most kits.
Old 05-03-2016, 08:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
We have found some over-pressurization going that small. 8AN is still possible in some engines, but not B and K. It's not worth fighting to keep with most kits.
can easily get an10 adaptors. Been looking at the mishimoto thermostat sandwich plate. My only question is where would i run my sensors from for oil pressure and temp
Old 05-03-2016, 09:54 PM

can easily get an10 adaptors. Been looking at the mishimoto thermostat sandwich plate. My only question is where would i run my sensors from for oil pressure and temp
Off of the pan and oil sending unit