Notices

OBDII fuel management

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2004, 03:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OBDII fuel management

I've got the E-Manage now and don't really like it. I almost feel like it's not designed to work with an OBDII motor because I had to basically trick it into working. Before anybody says it, I'm not going back to OBDI.

I like Uberdata, but its for OBDI. Hondata is for OBDI as well if I understand it correctly. I'm thinking the AFC hack, but don't want to go to that if there is another decent OBDII fuel management setup. I refuse to go to a FMU because of the lack of tunability.

This will be going into my D16y7 powered boosted hatch. I'm not going to AEM EMS or anything anywhere close to that scale, as this is daily driven and still has to pass inpection every year. Plus, I'll sell off the turbo setup before I spend 1000 dollars + tuning on some engine management.
Old 11-23-2004, 08:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: OBDII fuel management (Ricey McRicerton)

my friend has the same problem w/ his 99 ex. he slapped on an edelbrock kit, but there's no room for improvement. he was thinking of aem...but you are right..its way too expensive. hondata doesn't do obd2? i remember he told me he found hondata for obd2. i'm not sure. but if you find the answer to this...let us know. good luck
Old 11-23-2004, 08:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

does your e-manage not work well with your car Ricey? You sure you wouldn't be willing to just go obd1? It would make things much easier.
Old 11-23-2004, 08:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: OBDII fuel management (krazn)

The OBD-2 Hondata ECU is just a modified OBD-1 ECU that allows you to plug the OBD-2 ECU sockets directly into the Hondata-modified ECU so that you don't have to use a OBD-2 to OBD-1 converter harness.

Hondata and Uberdata will only work with OBD-1 ECU's.

Using an AFC hack is fundamentally the same as the GReddy e-manage. Both trim the airflow or MAP voltage signal to achieve the desired injector pulsewidth adjustment. The e-manage is just a little higher on the ladder b/c with the support tool, you can also alter ignition timing by interrupting the ignition output signal to the ignitor (as well as a slew of other additional support tool-only functions).

Switching to OBD-1 isn't a bad thing, unless smogging the car prevents you from ever doing so since it is illegal to revert to an older emissions control protocol.

Better sell the turbo kit.
Old 11-23-2004, 08:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: OBDII fuel management (IN VTEC)

I don't really want to go to OBDI as I have to pass emissions testing where they hook to the OBDII port every year and I don't want to have to swap it back and forth.

And no, Matt, the E=Manage doesn't work that well for me. I've got it all ghetto rigged to make it run right.

You know that I've got the wideband. With the E-manage injector wires hooked up, it esentially dumps so much fuel in that I go off the wideband rich and dump big clouds of black smoke out of the exhaust while my car sputters and bucks. Now the injector wires are clipped, and it's esentially an expensive missing link.

By messing around with the ***** on it (that are supossed to adjust the fuel for a certian RPM range) I've managed to get my idle back to stock and my fuel trim back to stock as well watching it with a laptop and Auto Engenuity Software.

My setup is this
D16Y7
D16Y8 intake manifold with the larger 240cc injectors (the car came with 180cc)
Walbro 190lph fuel pump
E-Manage

Any body have any idea WTF the problem with my setup is? I've gone in and triple checked the internal jumpers in the E-Manage, and if I hook up the injector wires (which are what's supossed to control the damn fuel input) it goes retartedly rich.
Old 11-23-2004, 08:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

damn sounds like you do have problems man. It really wouldn't be hard to switch back and forth if you just got some rc 440's and an obd1 conversion for uberdata. When emmissions time comes just swap the 240's back in and swap the ecu(which takes all of 2 seconds). Then just don't boost on the way to get emmisions checked.
Old 11-24-2004, 05:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: OBDII fuel management (SOHC_MShue)

http://www.autoserve.8m.com/
Old 11-24-2004, 06:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have the same dilemma you do - OBD2 scans. I thought the AFC hack would be able to pass, but I throw a code 13 once the ECU is fully ready to be tested, so I can't pass at all.

I gave up, said "screw it" and bought the AEM EMS recently.

For testing my plan is to put the stock ECU in, stock injectors, and remove the WG spring so I can't boost... drive like that for a little while and go get tested. Best I've come up with. Stupid emissions regulations.
Old 11-24-2004, 07:10 AM

Default Re: OBDII fuel management (notoriousB)

Well, i pass emissions fine w/ my obd2 blue box, and it runs pretty decent. However, i'm switching out w/ hondata real soon, and im just gonna leave the blue box harness there unplugged and just swap the blue box in obd2 ecu for emissions time.

Consider A'pexi FC? Its for obd2... Don't think it interacts w/ the obd2 interface though. No standalone will interact w/ the obd2 interface.... just get hondata and swap it out! It doesn't take that long.

Basically, only piggybacks will retain the function of your obd2 interface.. if you're willing to giveup the ability to fine tune... its your call.
Old 11-24-2004, 07:28 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: OBDII fuel management (IN VTEC)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by IN VTEC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Using an AFC hack is fundamentally the same as the GReddy e-manage. Both trim the airflow or MAP voltage signal to achieve the desired injector pulsewidth adjustment. The e-manage is just a little higher on the ladder b/c with the support tool, you can also alter ignition timing by interrupting the ignition output signal to the ignitor (as well as a slew of other additional support tool-only functions).
.</TD></TR></TABLE>

This is essentially INCORRECT. The Greddy E-Manage is NOthing like the afc in terms of tuning for fuel management. COnsidering the fact that it connects as a piggyback like the V-AFC is the ONLY similarity. with the correct millisecond time delay ratio entered into the system, you can tune for the injectors and cold start within a matter of about 3-5 minutes as opposed to guessing with the AFC. The resolution of the fuel and ignition timing maps is WAY superior than any AFC. I've help successfully tune over 330whp on hondas and about 380 on Nissans with the system and still stayed OBDII.

It does have it's limitations, but to say that it is fundamentally like an AFC is just misinformation, it's just plain wrong..

What you may need to do is to have an experienced tuner go over with you the points of the system. Trying it to tune yourself with guessed values is not a way to tune.. If you want to stay OBDII, this is one of the best systems out there to do it with. You just need to know how..
Old 11-24-2004, 07:32 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: OBDII fuel management (VinceVTEC)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by VinceVTEC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Consider A'pexi FC? Its for obd2... Don't think it interacts w/ the obd2 interface though. No standalone will interact w/ the obd2 interface.... just get hondata and swap it out! It doesn't take that long.

Basically, only piggybacks will retain the function of your obd2 interface.. if you're willing to giveup the ability to fine tune... its your call. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I've actually switched over to the POWER FC from Hondata, and like it a helluva lot better. If you get the right unit of 96-99 EK9 system, it plugs right into the OBDII setup without the need of an OBD1 Harness. Even if you're going High boost, you'll still need your stock map sensor as well as the boost pressure sensor that is needed with the Power FC system. You actually have to tune this secondary map so the transition from vaccuum to boost will be smooth.

You'll also need the FC DATALOGIT with the specific Honda software. (Though the hardware is the same for all models, you'll need the HONDA disk). If you don't you'll spend countless hours on the dyno just going through the commander

I'm actually having one of my guys fine tune my other turbo Gs-R with it today, I'll let you know of the results, but so far, it only took 3.2 hours for a full tune from partial to WOT..
Old 11-24-2004, 09:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: OBDII fuel management (TheShodan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TheShodan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
It does have it's limitations, but to say that it is fundamentally like an AFC is just misinformation, it's just plain wrong..
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Does E-manage intercept the MAP sensor signal and alter it? Does it "ride" on ignition maps contained within the ECU? If so, then it certainly is "fundamentally" the same as an AFC hack. The rest is semantics.
Old 11-24-2004, 11:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: OBDII fuel management (fsp31)

The "basic" eManage actually has less capability than the SAFC-II. But add the CD, injector and ignition harnesses and you virtually eliminate the ECU.
Old 11-24-2004, 02:18 PM

Default Re: OBDII fuel management (TheShodan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TheShodan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

This is essentially INCORRECT. The Greddy E-Manage is NOthing like the afc in terms of tuning for fuel management. COnsidering the fact that it connects as a piggyback like the V-AFC is the ONLY similarity. with the correct millisecond time delay ratio entered into the system, you can tune for the injectors and cold start within a matter of about 3-5 minutes as opposed to guessing with the AFC. The resolution of the fuel and ignition timing maps is WAY superior than any AFC. I've help successfully tune over 330whp on hondas and about 380 on Nissans with the system and still stayed OBDII.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Actually the Airflow correction map in the emanage is functionally the same as an afc . It intercepts map signal voltage and converts it based on what you input in . The unit is superior to the afc based on map correction points, but it doesnt mean that it works differently. As for added features, it can clamp voltage from the map sensor, it can pulse the injectors beyond the ecu, can manipulate timing +-20 degrees, and you can get a 3 bar map sensor. You can setup the emanage to do the afc hack and correct the timing without even using the additional injection map.
Old 11-24-2004, 02:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

E manage is your best option if you are going to stay OBD2.

It worked perfectly for me on my D16y8 with the Greddy 15g kit.

Are you sure you have it hooked up correctly?

I converted to OBD1 since I dont have to worry about emissions. I have tried to sell my E manage with support tool to guys who have to stay OBD2 but nobody seems to want it.

To me it seems perfect for people who have to stay OBD2.
Old 12-12-2004, 06:16 PM

Default Re: (Mighty)

Ricey, did you decide what to do?

I'm in the same position (obd2, not wanting to swap ecu, don't want to spend a fortune); but i'm just in the planning stages.