Notices

OBD2 LS crankcase Ventalation, catch can...Help!

Old 07-14-2006, 12:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OBD2 LS crankcase Ventalation, catch can...Help!

I am working on my turbo setup which consists of a 97 ls motor with a skunk2 intake manifold. The engine has no "black box" on the back....all it has is the line going to the valve on the valve cover and the outlet which goes to a stock intake arm. I am trying to figure out the best way to route my catcan...any help aprectiated TIA.
Old 07-14-2006, 04:08 AM
Mr. Badwrench

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: OBD2 LS crankcase Ventalation, catch can...Help! (Jdm_Rice_Monster)

should still have the plugs in the back of the block. if there is no black box, then you dont have to put the freeze plug in there.
Old 07-14-2006, 04:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jdm_Rice_Monster &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I am working on my turbo setup which consists of a 97 ls motor with a skunk2 intake manifold. The engine has no "black box" on the back....all it has is the line going to the valve on the valve cover and the outlet which goes to a stock intake arm. I am trying to figure out the best way to route my catcan...any help aprectiated TIA.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You are looking at something totally different. You are seeing the valve cover breather going into the intake arm.

You need to look on the very back of the block. Right next to where the oil filter is when you do an oil change.

Read here for info.

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1674798
Old 07-15-2006, 12:57 AM

Default Re: OBD2 LS crankcase Ventalation, catch can...Help! (TurboEM1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TurboEM1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

You are looking at something totally different. You are seeing the valve cover breather going into the intake arm.

You need to look on the very back of the block. Right next to where the oil filter is when you do an oil change.

Read here for info.

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1674798</TD></TR></TABLE>

I know where the factory charcol canister is...but obd2 ls motors do not have one....that is what I am saying.
Old 07-17-2006, 12:23 AM

up
Old 07-17-2006, 08:57 AM

i would like to know as well.
Old 07-17-2006, 09:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: OBD2 LS crankcase Ventalation, catch can...Help! (WEST*SIDE)

you can still put a Endyn or Z10 catchcan setup on the block, as the ports on the back of the block are still there, just don't have the freeze plug to deal with. you can also just tap two ports off the front of the valve cover and run them to a catchcan.
Old 07-17-2006, 09:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I personally use an Endyne catch can system. I have both the ports on the back of the block and also hooked up the two ports on the valve cover to the catch can system. also make sur eyou use drain back on the endyne or it fills up with oil and spills out.

Keep the pcv in the valve cover is the cheap way to use that port or you can have a fitting tig welded on there but the pcv does the trick, and the othe rbreather just slap a hoses on it and tee them all into the two lines that come off th eback of the block in th endyne kit

Sorry thats all i have for pics hosted on my site right now, ill try to take better ones to post on here for reference
Old 07-17-2006, 09:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So would there be any use in ONLY using the pcv valve and the VC breather.

Modified by eastcoast_ej6 at 3:00 PM 7/17/2006
Old 07-17-2006, 10:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (eastcoast_ej6)

You can use just the two stock breathers but i dont think thats enough for a boosted honda, maybe like 7-10 psi but anythign more then that your going to have alot of crank pressure and thsoe two ports wont cut it.

If your only going to breather the case through the valve cover its strongly recommended that you put two -10an or -12an hoses off the front of the valve cover (this is done because on the back of the valve cover all the oil swishes to the back under acceleration therefore would cause massive amounts of oil into the catch can). I would also do a drain back into the back of the block or even tapped into the oil pan if you want so the oil will drain out of your catch can after boosting. and if you really want to get technical you can put a one way valve in the drain back so ONLY the valve cover will breathe the crank case when boosting and will open back up when less pressure for oil drain back