Notices

Building a catch can... where do the hoses come from?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2005, 11:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Building a catch can... where do the hoses come from?

So I want to fab up a catch can setup for my car, but I don't understand what hoses I am supposed to route into it. The one that comes off the back of the valvecover (which used to go into the intake pipe)? Another hose from somewhere else? What about the PCV thing which involves the big can on the back of the block, with a tube that goes to the middle of the intake manifold plenum? Someone help me out...

This is on a Bseries btw - LS/VTEC...
Old 01-07-2005, 07:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Building a catch can... where do the hoses come from? (909edge)

I made mine with one line from the valve cover, and one line off of the black box,
works good so far..
Old 01-07-2005, 09:18 AM

Default Re: Building a catch can... where do the hoses come from? (skr TURBO ej)

so what you are saying is that the hose that comes off the top of the black box and goes to the intake manifold plenum, you routed that into the catch can instead?
Old 01-07-2005, 09:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yupp.. thats exactley what i did..
Old 01-07-2005, 10:47 AM

Default Re: Building a catch can... where do the hoses come from? (skr TURBO ej)

does it seem to get a lot of oil in it?
Old 01-07-2005, 11:59 AM

I need to know this info someone please help.

Can I run the catchcan with two inlet lines, one coming from the stock vent on the valve cover and the other coming from the hole on the top of the black box which is located on the back of the block below the Intake Manifold (this line usually goes to a little fitting on the intake manifold plenum...). Will this vent crankcase pressure and thus decrease blow-by without releasing oil vapor into the intake manifold???

Am I supposed to run a line from the catch can to either the port on the intake arm (which is normally connected to the vent on the valve cover) or the port on the intake manifold plenum (which is normally connected to that little black box) in order to make vacuum in the catch can? And if I do this won't it suck the oil vapors right back into the intake manifold thus defeating the point of having a catch can? But if I don't put vacuum on the catch can will it be less effective at venting positive crankcase pressure thus creating more blow-by?

I just really don't get it, hopefully someone can explain...
Old 01-07-2005, 01:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

not really, it usually only spits oil at the track.. and even then its not that much
Old 01-07-2005, 07:02 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 909edge &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I need to know this info someone please help.

Can I run the catchcan with two inlet lines, one coming from the stock vent on the valve cover and the other coming from the hole on the top of the black box which is located on the back of the block below the Intake Manifold (this line usually goes to a little fitting on the intake manifold plenum...). Will this vent crankcase pressure and thus decrease blow-by without releasing oil vapor into the intake manifold???

Am I supposed to run a line from the catch can to either the port on the intake arm (which is normally connected to the vent on the valve cover) or the port on the intake manifold plenum (which is normally connected to that little black box) in order to make vacuum in the catch can? And if I do this won't it suck the oil vapors right back into the intake manifold thus defeating the point of having a catch can? But if I don't put vacuum on the catch can will it be less effective at venting positive crankcase pressure thus creating more blow-by?

I just really don't get it, hopefully someone can explain...</TD></TR></TABLE>

bump for more info...
Old 01-07-2005, 09:07 PM

The whole point of a catch can, is that at high RPM, your engine no longer is making vaccum inside the engine.., it can even make pressure, causing oil, air, crap in general come out of that tube on valvecover..Honda has routed that back into the intake simply to "burn" it away...i.e. get rid of it. The reason you see this more on the high performance side, is that its beneficial to get rid of that pressure......Depending on how much pressure you are making, that pipe can sometimes not even be big enough..the larger you go, the safer you will be. As skr said, the one on the back won't do much, I recommend putting more effort into replacing the fitting on the valvecover with an AN style fitting. (Make it larger than factory) May take some fabrication, but then you can put one of those decent looking AN lines to your catch can. Benefits will be like you mentioned, no more oil in the intake, and if you make that fitting large enough to where it does not build pressure at high RPM, nothing will come out into the black box in the back...it'll save you making 2 lines, keep the black box as it is, will be more than sufficient, and it will look decent..just a thought...
Old 01-08-2005, 12:40 AM

Default Re: Building a catch can... where do the hoses come from? (mbrauning1)

Wow I got advice from Mark Brauning... wasn't expecting that.
Old 01-08-2005, 12:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: san diego, miami, rosarito mx, rio de janeiro, guangdong

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 909edge &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Wow I got advice from Mark Brauning... wasn't expecting that. </TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 01-08-2005, 11:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Building a catch can... where do the hoses come from? (daygo_beanR)

The one on the back of the block is a start, but u can improve upon it by removing the stock box, plugging the hole, and replacing the two 14mm hex head freeze plugs from the back of the block with two spouts from a b-series prelude.

They fit right in, and then you can run two lines from the back of the block to the catch can, thats how many people have them setup.
Old 01-08-2005, 03:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Building a catch can... where do the hoses come from? (Used2beAb16)

OK my turn!!!

Plug the stock black box outlet. Install fittings where the 2 freeze plugs were. OK done. Now can you run one from the valve cover breather as well? Just T it into one of the block vent tubes that lead to the catch can? Or do they make catch cans with 3 inlets? What is the proper way to do that? you could even T the two coming out of the block as well.
Lastly, if you have the lines going from 3-2 or even 3 straight into the can, Does the can HAVE to have a return, or do you just wind up dumping the catch can's contents out every so often?
thanks
Old 01-10-2005, 08:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i think one side has to be to fresh air . I could be wrong.
Old 01-10-2005, 12:10 PM
i HAS questions ?

Default Re: Building a catch can... where do the hoses come from? (Ls1 FD3s)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ls1 FD3s &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">OK my turn!!!

Plug the stock black box outlet. Install fittings where the 2 freeze plugs were. OK done. Now can you run one from the valve cover breather as well? Just T it into one of the block vent tubes that lead to the catch can? Or do they make catch cans with 3 inlets? What is the proper way to do that? you could even T the two coming out of the block as well.
Lastly, if you have the lines going from 3-2 or even 3 straight into the can, Does the can HAVE to have a return, or do you just wind up dumping the catch can's contents out every so often?
thanks</TD></TR></TABLE>

With the Moroso aluminum can that most people use you can have someone weld an extra AN fitting on there. My plan is to run a line from the valve cover, another from the block (anyone know if the plugging the hole in the back and replacing one of the freeze plugs with a spout can be done on a D16?) to a catchcan with a breather on it.
Old 01-10-2005, 12:55 PM
Smarter than you

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Used2beAb16 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The one on the back of the block is a start, but u can improve upon it by removing the stock box, plugging the hole, and replacing the two 14mm hex head freeze plugs from the back of the block with two spouts from a b-series prelude.

They fit right in, and then you can run two lines from the back of the block to the catch can, thats how many people have them setup.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Correct.

The point of a catch can is to allow your crank case to breathe better then stock. Simply running a catch can off the valve cover is not allowing your crank case to breathe any better, it is just catching oil that should not be coming out of there anyways.
Old 01-10-2005, 02:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Building a catch can... where do the hoses come from? (daygo_beanR)

Great write up!!
Old 01-13-2005, 03:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Building a catch can... where do the hoses come from? (DIRep972)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Used2beAb16 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The one on the back of the block is a start, but u can improve upon it by removing the stock box, plugging the hole, and replacing the two 14mm hex head freeze plugs from the back of the block with two spouts from a b-series prelude.

They fit right in, and then you can run two lines from the back of the block to the catch can, thats how many people have them setup.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm not to familiar with those english terms and was wondering what is a spout and where is it located on those prelude engines?

Can someone explain it to me?

Thanks

Old 01-21-2005, 08:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Building a catch can... where do the hoses come from? (Importracer_001)

LOL, sorry, spout was a bad term. There are two freeze plugs on the back of the block, underneath the Intake manifold.

There is also a stock breather box located near the passenger side freeze plug.

You need to remove the black box, and get a plug to fill the hole, Z-10 sells a plug for like $20 or something.

You can identify the two freeze plugs because they are just two plugs that take a 14mm allen head. Nothing else back there will!!

If u go to a honda dealer you can ask them to order you 2 fittings from the prelude block, I am assuming that they are located in the same location as the freeze plugs are located on the other b-series blocks. On the firewall side.

These fittings from the prelude block allow you to connect to the hose to them, and then run both up to a dual bung catch can. You then run the return to a T-fitting you place on the passenger side line, and when the motor isnt running, the oil will return through the line back to the block.
Old 01-27-2005, 08:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Used2beAb16 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">These fittings from the prelude block allow you to connect to the hose to them, and then run both up to a dual bung catch can. You then run the return to a T-fitting you place on the passenger side line, and when the motor isnt running, the oil will return through the line back to the block. </TD></TR></TABLE>

This is super cool and didn't know that the Prelude had plugs with inlets. Thanks.
Old 01-27-2005, 08:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Building a catch can... where do the hoses come from? (clayne)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by clayne &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

This is super cool and didn't know that the Prelude had plugs with inlets. Thanks.</TD></TR></TABLE>

The Endyn secret is exposed.

I was wondering how long it would be before I saw you over here, clayne.

--

I ran Endyn's suggestion for the Moroso can, PCV adapter, and PCV valve on my old B16A2. I did not bypass the oil separator since it does prevent too much oil from coming out of the block. With this setup, I think I saw about 4 oz of oil/crap between oil changes. I've tried the open atmosphere setup before (no PCV valve on the can...just a filter)...I couldn't stand "the smell".

Pics: http://muller.net/sonny/moroso/

The pics do a good job of showing how much oil vapor comes out of the block and how little goes back into the engine with the catch can. That's just clear vinyl tubing from Home Depot. You need the thickwall stuff because the thinwall stuff will collapse under vacuum. The vinyl stuff does get brittle pretty quickly. I eventually replaced it with rubber, but I used the clear stuff at first to get an idea of how it was working.

Sonny
Old 01-27-2005, 08:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Building a catch can... where do the hoses come from? (Sonny)

Haha yep.

Hey you know ever since it was exposed that Honda outsourced to Mazda for the S2000 differential I've been trying to teach my roomate's parrot to say "Mazda Parts!". My roomate owns an S2K so we always have an FD&lt;-&gt;S2000 rivalry going.

How long until we drop a 20B into that CRX? (starts the gears turning)
Old 01-27-2005, 11:22 AM
i HAS questions ?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Used2beAb16 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If u go to a honda dealer you can ask them to order you 2 fittings from the prelude block, I am assuming that they are located in the same location as the freeze plugs are located on the other b-series blocks. On the firewall side.

These fittings from the prelude block allow you to connect to the hose to them, and then run both up to a dual bung catch can. You then run the return to a T-fitting you place on the passenger side line, and when the motor isnt running, the oil will return through the line back to the block. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Does anyone know the size/pitch of the threads on these plugs? I'm thinking about running an -AN fitting from the back of the block to the catch can.
Old 01-27-2005, 12:58 PM

Default Re: Building a catch can... where do the hoses come from? (Sonny)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sonny &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The Endyn secret is exposed.

I was wondering how long it would be before I saw you over here, clayne.

--

I ran Endyn's suggestion for the Moroso can, PCV adapter, and PCV valve on my old B16A2. I did not bypass the oil separator since it does prevent too much oil from coming out of the block. With this setup, I think I saw about 4 oz of oil/crap between oil changes. I've tried the open atmosphere setup before (no PCV valve on the can...just a filter)...I couldn't stand "the smell".

Pics: http://muller.net/sonny/moroso/

The pics do a good job of showing how much oil vapor comes out of the block and how little goes back into the engine with the catch can. That's just clear vinyl tubing from Home Depot. You need the thickwall stuff because the thinwall stuff will collapse under vacuum. The vinyl stuff does get brittle pretty quickly. I eventually replaced it with rubber, but I used the clear stuff at first to get an idea of how it was working.

Sonny</TD></TR></TABLE>

That looks really effective and is exactly what I was wanting to do. So you left that black box on the back of the block, ran the line from there to the inlet on the side of the catch can, and the PCV valve on the top of the catch can is connected back to the intake manifold.

What Moroso catch can is that, and what PCV valve do you use? I'm going to order this stuff tonight...

if you got a dual inlet catch can could you route the hose from the valve cover nipple into the side of the catch can as well?
Old 01-29-2005, 01:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

whoops the prelude fittings were a secret?? heh

Quick Reply: Building a catch can... where do the hoses come from?