Notices

o-ring - copper headgasket?? who has done it. who does or does not recommend it

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2004, 12:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default o-ring - copper headgasket?? who has done it. who does or does not recommend it

i have a boosted d16z6. my problem is that i love to race on the freeway in 3rd and 4th gear which puts a **** load of stress and load on ur motor while boosting. ive blown 2head gaskets while doing this but at the drags im fine cus i dont hit 4th gear. i was told to oring my block or head and run a copper headgasket. i already went the copper spray and arp head bolt route.

so my ? is will the o-ring and copper head gasket(sce) be worth the extra money and time or
should/can i run a copper gasket without oring

all replys welcome.
Old 03-15-2004, 02:01 AM

i also would like to now. i will be running a copper o-ring and sce copper headasket.
Old 03-15-2004, 05:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: o-ring - copper headgasket?? who has done it. who does or does not recommend it (kyosoeg6)

I'm running a step deck because from my understanding you really should have a machine shop replace the copper o-ring everytime you pull the head, and we know how easy it is to find a machine shop in hEl Paso that can work on hondas. Larry
Old 03-15-2004, 10:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: o-ring - copper headgasket?? who has done it. who does or does not recommend it (kyosoeg6)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kyosoeg6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i have a boosted d16z6. my problem is that i love to race on the freeway in 3rd and 4th gear which puts a **** load of stress and load on ur motor while boosting. ive blown 2head gaskets while doing this but at the drags im fine cus i dont hit 4th gear. i was told to oring my block or head and run a copper headgasket. i already went the copper spray and arp head bolt route.

so my ? is will the o-ring and copper head gasket(sce) be worth the extra money and time or
should/can i run a copper gasket without oring

all replys welcome. </TD></TR></TABLE>
well I like copper head gaskets with stainless o rings in a head receiver groove with ARP studs, your problem might just be cylinder pressure getting way to high from to far retarded timing lifting the head under high load. the only consideration I make for you in regards to copper gaskets as tey have a much lower service inteval which means you may want to change it every 10k miles or less. I would first look at what your timing is in 4th where the gaskets gives or see if EGTS also spike at those levels. also when I hear about this happening alot I would go over all head/block warpage / straightness specs, may be time for some decking etc..IMO
Old 03-15-2004, 10:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: o-ring - copper headgasket?? who has done it. who does or does not recommend it (rtype11)

Sounds like a tuning issue to me too. And using a copper HG and copper o-ring is something I have never heard of, or at least not of any advantages. Some professional drag racers use stainless steal o-rings and copper HG, or a more common copper o-ring and steel HG. Copper on copper doesn't make sense cuz u are trying to compress a soft metal with another soft metal. I have a block with a steel o-ring machined into the sleeves, seems all cool and fancy but, I have researched it enough to know that a copper HG is a bad idea for daily driving. I will be removing that o-ring and using a regular Honda HG.
Old 03-15-2004, 10:24 PM

well the block i'm getting is copper o-ringed and the guy who i bought it from said that the only way gem would warrant the block is if i used a copper hg. i have a sce copper hg suppose to be daily drivable?
Old 03-15-2004, 11:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Prelude91siT)

tried it hated it , its fine when drag racing and on the dyno, but ever time i got on the highway or drove any thing over 30+miles it starts to leak and steam out my exhaust and soon as i let the car cool down and try it again the was fine and it sealed back and ran good

they work good but i just dont think there made for every day use

but maybe i had bad luck because of my 90mm bore on a turbo car running 20psi
Old 03-16-2004, 12:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (DLB1994)

im sure some people will disagree, but copper was really cool head gasket technology............................ in 1972. Today, we have a lot better choices.. just do some looking around!
Old 03-16-2004, 06:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (GimpyAccord)

I think they still use copper gaskets on top fuel cars but I agree and would use Cometic MLS gaskets.
Old 06-09-2004, 01:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (earl)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by earl &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I think they still use copper gaskets on top fuel cars but I agree and would use Cometic MLS gaskets.</TD></TR></TABLE>

What if Cometic doesn't make an MLS hg application for your engine? What would everyone suggest....copper hg or oem? Maybe o-ring the oem? Copper hg could be used to lower the compression too.......its for a turbocharged engine with stock compression 9.6:1 around 400whp daily street driven.

Modified by LeGeND4LiFe at 5:57 AM 6/9/2004