Notices

Notced a trend poping up about N2O spraying on intercoolers what are the benifits????

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2002, 11:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Notced a trend poping up about N2O spraying on intercoolers what are the benifits????

Well I have a friend with a Dragg 3 SI and we have been noticing all these turbo cars in superstreet have been using a fogger system to spray NOS on the front of the intercooler I know it it to cool the intake charge alittle more on say a hot day or to make it as cool as possible to make more power but how much does it help would my buddy stand to gain that much if we made a set up to do that on his car? Is there anybody of the boards that use's this kind of set up ?

Thanks for any help

CHRIS

P.S. I know it is a run on sentance but I am to lazy to use punctuation
Old 10-17-2002, 11:27 AM

Default Re: Notced a trend poping up about N2O spraying on intercoolers what are the benifits???? (underrate

Its not Nitrous... I think it C02 if im not mistaken.. not positive. I know NX makes the kit though.. I know its not Nitrous though...
Old 10-17-2002, 11:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Notced a trend poping up about N2O spraying on intercoolers what are the benifits???? (underrate

I havent seen anyone post dynos of the differences but even if someone did you can't really compare the two to how it would perform in the streets. The fans at most dynos arent really strong enough to simulate the air when actually driving. Itd still be nice to see though.
Old 10-17-2002, 11:33 AM

Its not Nitrous... I think it C02 if im not mistaken.. not positive. I know NX makes the kit though.. I know its not Nitrous though...
accually some people use nitrous but its 2 expensive to waste like that so most people use co2 but if nitrous is used it gets into the engine cuz the intake sucks it in either way, unless u use the ncooler by nx its contained and co2 is most commonly used im almost positive nascars used to spray nitrous on their radiators to cool em down but they would get a lil boost cuz it was sucked into the engine
Old 10-17-2002, 11:38 AM

supossedly it helps a lot... when you spray it the intercooler will actually "frost over," but i haven't seen one in action yet.
Old 10-17-2002, 12:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know two people in MD that use this setup. When they spray it takes 0.9-1.2 off there 1/4 times with just a 50 and a 55 shot. I plan on using this setup to when i finish my rebuild.
Old 10-17-2002, 12:35 PM

what??
i highly doubt that. just by spraying the stuff OVER your intercooler it drops your 1/4 time by 1 sec??
Old 10-17-2002, 01:22 PM

I know two people in MD that use this setup. When they spray it takes 0.9-1.2 off there 1/4 times with just a 50 and a 55 shot. I plan on using this setup to when i finish my rebuild.
uhh you wouldn't be using a "shot" because you're spraying it all over the intercooler. if you calculated it, it'd probably be like a 200 shot being sprayed onto the intercooler.
Old 10-17-2002, 02:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

accually some people use nitrous but its 2 expensive to waste like that so most people use co2 but if nitrous is used it gets into the engine cuz the intake sucks it in either way, unless u use the ncooler by nx its contained and co2 is most commonly used im almost positive nascars used to spray nitrous on their radiators to cool em down but they would get a lil boost cuz it was sucked into the engine
longest sentence ever.

Tom
Old 10-17-2002, 02:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah if I read that right it took up to 1.2 off the 1/4 using the ntercooler AND a 50-55 shot. Errr, maybe somebody has been reading too much Ricer Racing and High Performance magazine.

Granted, when I got into cars back when I was 15, I would think that headers and mufflers would give you approx 25 horsepower (on a V8 that is, I didn't even know what a Honda was )...but not too long ago I was talking to a guy, maybe 20 years old, driving a 66 Mustang w/289.

He says "yeah we put those Flowmasters on a few months ago, and that's the best thing I've done. It's at LEAST 50 horsepower. They made such a difference, it's just so much faster now". Keep in mind he's totally serious, and also just got done telling me his dad installed an Edelbrock performer package (which is a torquey street cam, 4 bbl intake and 4bbl carb).

[Modified by Hatchblack, 11:24 PM 10/17/2002]
Old 10-19-2002, 11:38 PM

longest sentence ever.

Tom
ya punctuation and spelling is for ******....
Old 10-20-2002, 12:26 AM

NX claimed a car gained 52whp by using that kit. that is highly doubtful. it will however, allow you to run consistent times at the strip. heatsoak? fear it no more.
Old 10-20-2002, 01:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hmmmmmmmm thanks for the feedback might try out the system but how much is it anybody know and how is the kit activated is it throttle set up like some N20 systems or is just push button and it sprays till u turn it off? Thanks for the info guys keep it coming. Anybody got any good pics of the set up and how it all works and what not

Thanks again
CHRIS
Old 10-20-2002, 02:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

1.2 seconds.. hmm maybe if its like 250 degrees outside and u could spray that **** and make it like 40 degrees.. haha i dont belive that one... maybe .2-.6 max
Old 10-20-2002, 10:03 PM

if your gonna use Nitrous .............spray it in the motor not on the intercooler
Old 10-20-2002, 10:08 PM

nitrous comes out at what? -175° F or something???? that must make a difference when sprayed onto the i/c...it'd be like a cold night, but during a hot day
Old 10-20-2002, 10:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if your gonna use Nitrous .............spray it in the motor not on the intercooler
or spray both im going to try it. both single fogger wet and this intercooler one
Old 10-20-2002, 11:06 PM

tomakit....like the avatar. i used to have the toy in green.
Old 10-20-2002, 11:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'd have to give it a big "GEHAY"...why not just spend that money on a more efficient intercooler or just spray the damned nitrous into your engine...if you had refrigerant pumping through the cooling ducts of your intake manifold if would give power too, but it seems like it's more effort than it's worth.

By lowering the intake temperature 11ºF you get an approx. 1% increase in efficiecy, so unless your maxed out, it seems ill-spent.
Old 10-21-2002, 05:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

50 horsepower... maybe if u have a 500hp car. why dont u just spray like 20 shot into the motor. i would think that would work better. it would cool down the air also...