Notices

BIG turbo Nitrous setups

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 01:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BIG turbo Nitrous setups

I did a few searches but did not come up with any relevant information.

I wanted to pick your brains of those who have experience with running nitrous with big turbo setups 67mm+. Please care to share your setups ie nitrous setup (direct port, single jet, dry), jet size, nitrous kit, usage type ie to cut lag or as a constant power adder, tuning tricks.

I have a direct port kit that I am contemplating on adding to my 72mm powered 4 cylinder car, my initial idea was to use it as a lag eliminator at the track, this would give me a more consistent launch and still be able to get 50+ uses out of 1 bottle. I have also seen a few vids around of one guy actually adding nitrous/methanol mix into his turbine directly to promote spool which I thought was bit insane as he actually also ran nitrous through his engine too!

Share your secrets!
Old 03-12-2014, 10:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: BIG turbo Nitrous setups

Did I say something wrong? lol
Old 03-12-2014, 10:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not a common thing. But you know that. I haven't seen many people do anything like this.
Old 03-12-2014, 11:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i need to get an intercooler fogger setup to see how much that extra 30-50 whp helps..
Old 03-12-2014, 12:56 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by boostjunkie757
i need to get an intercooler fogger setup to see how much that extra 30-50 whp helps..
That just keeps the charge air that goes into the intake manifold a little cooler, will have NO effect on changing "spool up" characteristics at all.

Going with methanol injection into the actual turbocharger inlet is not a good idea, and because it won't reach its "flash point" of atomization before it enters into the compressor inlet, will eventually cause damage to the compressor wheel because it is still in liquid form.

You're using a 72mm turbocharger, this is I take it for drag racing use. You can use a 2 step to get it to launch better, or even a small bit of a dry nitrous injection system at the intake several inches before the turbo inlet. Otherwise, that's it.

The reason you're not getting any responses is because it is understood that 72mm and "having it spool up faster" in a sub 2.5 litre engine, just won't happen. Head to the Drag racing forum to ask for "secrets" if there are any (I suspect there really aren't).
Old 03-12-2014, 01:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
That just keeps the charge air that goes into the intake manifold a little cooler, will have NO effect on changing "spool up" characteristics at all.

i wasnt saying i thought it would help spool time...i was contemplating trying it out of curiosity since i had heard intercooler sprayer kits usually made an additional 30-50 or so horsepower..
Old 03-12-2014, 05:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan

Going with methanol injection into the actual turbocharger inlet is not a good idea, and because it won't reach its "flash point" of atomization before it enters into the compressor inlet, will eventually cause damage to the compressor wheel because it is still in liquid form.

You're using a 72mm turbocharger, this is I take it for drag racing use. You can use a 2 step to get it to launch better, or even a small bit of a dry nitrous injection system at the intake several inches before the turbo inlet. Otherwise, that's it.

The reason you're not getting any responses is because it is understood that 72mm and "having it spool up faster" in a sub 2.5 litre engine, just won't happen. Head to the Drag racing forum to ask for "secrets" if there are any (I suspect there really aren't).

This is a drag car mainly but street legal, on the 2 step i get around 18psi but have to rev the **** off at around 7k rpm, I want the extra kick in spool that nitrous will give me to improve my 3000-6000rpm spool mainly. From what I keep reading nitrous can improve your spool by almost 2k rpm full boost depending on the jet size.
This is a direct port wet kit 4 jets, i want to activate nitrous delivery to anything under 20psi at wot through my ecu, when I wanna have fun or when at the track. I want to run smallest jet size and because it injects into each port flow should be equal and less chance of pooling and backfire "blowing the welds on the intake" lol.
I hope I'm right anyway.
Old 03-12-2014, 08:23 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Whelp.. you can give it a shot, but to get direct comparisons, you won't really find them on this forum. Time to call a few drag racing pros.