Notices

Not boosting good....Almost to no boost, please help!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2006, 08:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not boosting good....Almost to no boost, please help!!

hi i finally installed my turbo and for some reason my boost gauge is reading about only one pound of boost at full boost..i dont know why this is happening..my blow off valve is loud, my wastegate is opening up bcuz i can hear it and i can feel some power but my boost gauge reads 1 psi..i have the wastegate connected to the compressor side of the turbo instead of the intake manifold..can this make a difference? please help!!! thanks

BTW i got a 38mm wastegate with 6psi spring in case that helps
Old 08-06-2006, 11:26 AM

Default Re: Not boosting good....Almost to no boost, please help!! (rickturboteg)

had the same problem with my b16 turbo project, my problem was pin holes in my SS AUTOCRAP manifold, fixed the holes an started to boost fully. just a thought.
Old 08-06-2006, 01:06 PM

Default Re: Not boosting good....Almost to no boost, please help!! (p.s.i.kotic)

yea but my manifold is new i just put it on..someone told me might be my boost gauge vacc line might be bent..im gettin boost and plenty or power but its only reading about 1 psi
Old 08-06-2006, 01:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Not boosting good....Almost to no boost, please help!! (rickturboteg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rickturboteg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">.i have the wastegate connected to the compressor side of the turbo instead of the intake manifoldi</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 08-06-2006, 01:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, make sure the gauge is hooked up properly and the line isn't kinked, and start checking for leaks. Leaks at the manifold, turbo, charge pipes, couplers, etc..

Also you will see a little more boost by hooking up the wastegate signal to the intake manifold rather than before the intercooler, but not much maybe 2psi.

If the gauge is reading vacuum fine, then I doubt it is a problem with the gauge. Once you are sure that you have everything installed correctly and that you have taken care of any leaks, then you could start looking for faulty components. Make sure the spring is in the wastegate, and it's in correctly..., worst case scenario the turbo is no good? Just one thing at a time start with the smallest / easiest stuff first. good luck
Old 08-06-2006, 02:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Not boosting good....Almost to no boost, please help!! (eastbay92cx)

ur wastegate, boost guage and bov should all be connected in the same spot, best place is right off the intake mani, cuz thats the most consistent spot.
Old 08-06-2006, 05:35 PM

Default Re: Not boosting good....Almost to no boost, please help!! (teg racer 877)

ok i tried connecting the wastegate to the intake manifold and im now running 2psi..im going to try either get a boost controller and try raising the boost might the the spring is set low or in other hands i will check if i have any leaks..i popped my hood and theres a certain position on my BOV where its welded that i hear a small leak..do you think this can cause it from not boosting correctly? thanks
Old 08-06-2006, 05:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

any leaks can cause you not to boost properly. quick question...is the gauge reading vacuum? if not then the line might be pinched or the gauge might be busted.
Old 08-06-2006, 06:01 PM

Default Re: Not boosting good....Almost to no boost, please help!! (dpetro1)

well the gauge is reading about -20 vacc so im guessin the gauge is good..plus i had the wastegate connected to turbo before intercooler and it read 1psi i ran the vacc from wastegate to intake manifold and gave me 2psi so im assuming the gauge is good either i got a boost leak somewhere on my pippings or my spring is set low psi..but like i said theres a certain position on the bov where i hear some vacc leak i gotta check this out im just hoping my gauge is good because i dont want not turbo spike.
Old 08-06-2006, 06:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah def check for boost leaks. also i would pull the wg apart and find out what spring it has it in. i think the smallest tial makes is 3.6psi. what wg are you using?
Old 08-06-2006, 06:19 PM

im using tial..when i ordered there were 2 choices either 5.83 OR 3.63 and i asked for 5.83 but i guess either he sent me the wrong one and sent me the 3 psi spring which is bascially what im running now or its just my boost leaks..to me ive been thinking and i think he sent me the wrong spring i ordered because lets say he sent me the 3psi spring im running 2psi+boost leak= 3psi spring thats what im thinking what do you think??
Old 08-06-2006, 06:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thats possible. id pop the top off the tial and see what spring you have just to make sure.
Old 08-06-2006, 07:20 PM

yea how could i tell though? does the spring have a tag or a # or something...what should i look for? i believe its about 6 bolts
Old 08-07-2006, 03:19 AM

morning bump
Old 08-07-2006, 07:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Based on the springs color.
Old 08-07-2006, 10:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Not boosting good....Almost to no boost, please help!! (purpleh22)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by purpleh22 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Based on the springs color.</TD></TR></TABLE>

and size. here's a link to help you figure out which one you have.
http://www.tialsport.com/docum...p.pdf
Old 08-07-2006, 04:36 PM

thats alot bro all the money spent thinking its something else and its not..im so pissed i opened up my wastegate and found a yellow spring..i was suppose to get the red one thanks alot for everybodys help im guessing thats why im boost about 2-3psi..