Notices

noob FI questions

Old 03-21-2008, 04:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default noob FI questions

what is the point of adjusting a bov softer or harder? if i am on the gas and make my full boost, lets say 15psi, will the wastegate open at 15psi and stay open if i stay on the gas that way i dont boost over 15psi? if the wastegate controls how much boost what is the point of a boost controller? can a wastegate be too big? thanks any help is appriciated
Old 03-21-2008, 10:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: noob FI questions (niceguysfinishlast)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by niceguysfinishlast &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what is the point of adjusting a bov softer or harder?</TD></TR></TABLE>

if its too soft it will leak boost, if its too hard it will not open and you will have compressors surge, you need to find the sweet spot.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by niceguysfinishlast &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> if i am on the gas and make my full boost, lets say 15psi, will the wastegate open at 15psi and stay open if i stay on the gas that way i dont boost over 15psi? </TD></TR></TABLE>

yes, that is correct.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by niceguysfinishlast &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> if the wastegate controls how much boost what is the point of a boost controller? </TD></TR></TABLE>
so you can adjust the boost level without taking out the wg and changing wg springs, also you can do boost by gear with the right boost controller/ems combo.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by niceguysfinishlast &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> can a wastegate be too big? thanks any help is appriciated </TD></TR></TABLE>
not really but the bigger ones cost A LOT more so get the proper size.

Old 03-22-2008, 03:47 AM

thanks man, with alot of the complete turbo kits you buy, does it just bolt on and safe to drive until you find someone to tune it? and if its just a simple setup and you want to stay under 10psi, a wastegate with a 10psi spring SHOULD keep you at 10psi if you dont have "boost creep"? a boost controller in this situation would allowe me to adjust boost under 10psi? when motors a turboharged from factory do they just run off a wastegate? if an external wastegate is on the outside of the exhaust manifold, where is an internal one located? what is the differnce between the two? do you have to get the ecu programmed to run FI?

Modified by niceguysfinishlast at 5:21 AM 3/22/2008
Old 03-22-2008, 04:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (niceguysfinishlast)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by niceguysfinishlast &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thanks man, with alot of the complete turbo kits you buy, does it just bolt on and safe to drive until you find someone to tune it?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

if it comes with its own fuel management yes, if not then NO. most kits do NOT come with fuel management.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by niceguysfinishlast &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> if its just a simple setup and you want to stay under 10psi, a wastegate with a 10psi spring SHOULD keep you at 10psi if you dont have "boost creep"?
</TD></TR></TABLE>
yes thats correct.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by niceguysfinishlast &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> a boost controller in this situation would allowe me to adjust boost under 10psi?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

no, a boost controller can only raise boost above what the spring is rated at.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by niceguysfinishlast &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">when motors a turboharged from factory do they just run off a wastegate?
</TD></TR></TABLE>
yes

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by niceguysfinishlast &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> if an external wastegate is on the outside of the exhaust manifold, where is an internal one located? what is the differnce between the two?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

there will only be 1 wastegate, either external or internal, most factory cars have internal, most aftermarket kits are external. they both do the same thing, the main benefit of an external is it can flow more for higher boost applications.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by niceguysfinishlast &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> do you have to get the ecu programmed to run FI?
</TD></TR></TABLE>
you must have some sort of fuel management, a reprogrammed ecu setup for your turbo set up is one option. a stand alone ems is another option as well as a piggy back or even an FMU with stock ecu. in terms of whats best its gonna be like this:
standalone like aem ems&gt;reprogrammed stock ecu like hondata/neptune&gt;piggyback like apexi afc&gt;fmu

Old 03-22-2008, 01:04 PM

where do you go to get you ecu reprogrammed with hondata, crome, neptune? a local tuning shop? im in central PA. also what does trim mean? ive seen like .57, .50, but unsure what it means. and what would be a good fuel management set up for a 99 integra gsr, not really looking to go over 10psi at the moment?

Modified by niceguysfinishlast at 2:12 PM 3/22/2008

Modified by niceguysfinishlast at 2:16 PM 3/22/2008
Old 03-22-2008, 01:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes you go to a local tune shop they will take care of it there. I wouldent drive the car untill after they tune it. Some were on Ht there should be a tuner directory. Thisd will have all the shop around. But i believe Jeff evens at evens tunings is loacated in PA, And as i'm sure everyone here will agree with me he's probually one of the best around. As far as trim they are talking about the size of the turbo it is the relationship of the induce and exduce turbine wheel . As far as fuel management I would go with hondata and all your really need is a set of bigger injectors, that will depend on your HP goals. Whats are they ?
Old 03-22-2008, 02:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (b16bri)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by niceguysfinishlast &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what would be a good fuel management set up for a 99 integra gsr, not really looking to go over 10psi at the moment?

</TD></TR></TABLE>

you need 2 things before i can answer this question, a hp goal and a budget, then i can tell you which EMS is best. however it would be a good idea to first see what shops are in your area and what they can tune, no point in getting an excellent EMS if nobody in your area can tune it. if evans is in your area discuss it with them, i always say get the EMS your tuner prefers.

Modified by blinx9900 at 3:21 PM 3/22/2008
Old 03-22-2008, 02:15 PM

Default Re: (blinx9900)

as far as hp goals i was hoping for somewhere between 275 - 300. as far as managment goes im completely clueless on pricing aswell but if i spend somewhere between 500 - 1000 i would be epecting that. but like i said i have no idea on pricing. ive heard good stuff about evans tuning. wasnt aware they were in easton.(about 1 1/2 hours away, so thats not too far.)

Modified by niceguysfinishlast at 3:22 PM 3/22/2008
Old 03-22-2008, 02:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

As Blinx9900 said get check with a tuner first. As i said check the tuner directory to find a local tuner. As far as an Ems 500-1000 you can get ALOT. Crome is only i believe 150 dollars, hondata can range from 150 to 400 or 500 you can probually get AEM EMS for around 1000 maybe a little more. Check to see what they prefure I perfer hondata it seems to be easier for people to tune cheaper and gets the job done just as well if not better. But i wont be the one tuneing your car. As far as injectors for 275-300whp i would say around 450cc check with your tuner this is something they can help you with . If it's a 99 and the stock motor you shouldent have a resistor pack so you'll need high impedence injecotors.
Old 03-22-2008, 02:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by niceguysfinishlast &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">as far as hp goals i was hoping for somewhere between 275 - 300. as far as managment goes im completely clueless on pricing aswell but if i spend somewhere between 500 - 1000 i would be epecting that. but like i said i have no idea on pricing.</TD></TR></TABLE>

if that range is acceptable for you then i would suggest something like hondata S300, neptune RTP or my personal fav is AEM EMS, you should be able to track down a used one for about $750, hondatat S300 will be more cost effective option and should be more than enough for your power goal though