Notices

NonovUrbizniz's D16Z6 Turbo Build - like the Energizer Bunny, It keeps on going

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 09:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts
Default re: NonovUrbizniz's D16Z6 Turbo Build - like the Energizer Bunny, It keeps on going

REALLY can't believe how lazy I've been...

Got some progress made... but not a ton... it finally cleared up and was a nice day over the weekend so I got the car up on stands and put in the mockup motor and unfo. trans to check the fitment of the manifold/dp/dumptube before I send it back for some fixes/corrections/changes...

So here's a pic from the top... looks like I'm going to have to move the radiator and get a slim fan as well... SWEET!

Downpipe apparently wants to dump out about 15degrees too far down and about 15 degrees too far toward the passenger side...

Ugh... I have to send it back to spoolin to get the dumptube closed and have the outlet angle fixed.. just gotta figure out how to mark that..

Mounted up the Kteller exhaust and overall it was pretty good fitment and good quality piece... only complaints:

The hangers are just wire. they don't have the the nubs at the end so the hanger's don't back off.. it's no big deal once everything is mounted up and installed but like 4 times when I was trying to make the slip fit connection for the center section the resonator section wiggled out of the hangers and dropped to the ground...

Anyone got any pics of a quick4 a/c mounted up?? I'm gunna have to angle the Rad pretty hard and def. get a slimline fan.

Next step I'm gunna test fit the intercooler and piping while it's in there since it's all got to come out again anyway... might as well iron out all the details now and save some headaches when it's final assembly time. Might take a day off tomorrow and try to get a lot done.
Old 03-08-2010, 01:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default re: NonovUrbizniz's D16Z6 Turbo Build - like the Energizer Bunny, It keeps on going

Nice looking build. You're making me reconsider ditching my z6.
Old 03-08-2010, 01:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Frankly I would've gone B if I knew I was going to have to replace my motor... but by that point I had bought too much D specific things... It should be nice for sure but for the same money and parts a B would end up making way more power. But who really needs more than 350-400hp anyway?
Old 03-09-2010, 06:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well got some more work done today... unfortunately as usuall I found more problems...

1. hotside I/C piping will definately not work. I'm going to have to work out an alternative.

2. Oil drain is just rediculous... I don't even know what to do at this point... between how low the output is and how close the DP is it's going to be a bear to get worked out... worst part is I've got to send the manifold back for changes so I can't even iron that out now.

Seems like the slim fan will work out fine for the inlet of the turbo just use a 45degree coupler to mount an intake.

Here are some pics of the test fitting...

Then after the sun went down I finally got the guages all mounted up in my center console...

Boost Pressure, WBO2, Oil Pressure
EGT, Water Temp, Oil Temp

Should be sending out the Manifold/DP/Dumptube tomorrow. Then I gotta work on mocking up the rods/pistons/block and see if the girdle needs notching or not... I've notched the block already it should be enough but I might have to take off some more...

After that I'm going to port the oil pump and get everything out to a machine shop... still up in the air about that...

Last edited by NonovUrbizniz; 03-22-2010 at 02:06 PM.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NonovUrbizniz
Frankly I would've gone B if I knew I was going to have to replace my motor... but by that point I had bought too much D specific things... It should be nice for sure but for the same money and parts a B would end up making way more power. But who really needs more than 350-400hp anyway?
Very true. Nice progress so far.
Old 03-22-2010, 02:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

More piece meal progress... Got the intercooler partially mounted... (I think it might be a little small for my goals). Also cleared out the bumer so there's just some minor adjustments to be made... I've got to redo the mounting of the I/C it's too far out right now gotta set it back some. Gunna stop by and get a proper cut off wheel instead of going through 3 discs on a dremel.

Then I spent a little bit of time boxing out a frame in the trunk to support a full size spare and hidden stereo/tools. It's going to be a daily driver so...

It actually worked out really well I'll take more pics later when I've gotten some more progress done.. .but it mounts to existing holes without drilling into the body and holds in there pretty solid.

I also spent a TON of time trying to get my center console ironed out more but that's definately still a work in progress... no pics as yet.

Manifold and everything went out to Phil at Spoolin for some fixes/changes... so I'm going to work on getting the motor out this week so I can get that done...

I still have to:

1. Test fit the rods/pistons and make sure I've notched enough (I still have to notch the girdle)
2. Port/shim the oil pump

That should be about it... then I just gotta bite the bullet and figure out who to send the motor to... I'm leaning towards the local guy who I know has done a ton of engines but not a lot of honda's. I'd have to take 2 days off from work to get the motor to and from any shops that have a ton of honda experience and even then you get mixed messages about their reliablity.
Old 04-24-2010, 05:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Another update...

went to test fit the pistons and found out the rods I have are not the right rods. I was going to order the FJ I beam rods but they were on back order... last time I called they were supposed to be getting the shipment but it was already sold out... lol... so I'm going to talk to them again on tuesday and see if anyone backs out of their order if so I'll get those, if not I'm just ordering eagles and I'll have the super low compression I thought I was going to anyway...

Did some more work on the intercooler and piping... the cold side is pretty much all setup even though it's a little goofy looking... and the hotside seems like it should be all set too I just have to get the final set of all the couplers I need and it should come together pretty well... the hotside will be 2" and the cold side will be 2.5".

Got the manifold back from Spoolin and it looks to be all set. I've bumped into a couple of other minor issues... The bleeder nut from the slave cylinder hits the compressor housing of the turbo so I have to take that out and shorten it hopefully there's enough room.

Definately have to get a slim pusher fan, which I suppose I'll order this week.

I switched all the A/N fittings for the breather can over to anodized black, figured out where I'm going to mount the catch can itself just have to fab up a bracket to mount it.

I have to get moving on wiring up all the gauges and sensors. If it's nice out I'll do that tomorrow.

The last headache item is going to be the oil sandwich plate and oil feed/return... that's really going to be ugly... the drain is going to suck and the feed doesn't look like it's going to cooperate much either. I have to notch the turbo and the manifold to make space for even a -3 and I think I'm going to switch to -4 so I can use and inline filter. Then use the -3 line I have now to feed the pressure gauge in the cabin.

Center console is moving forward slowly as well I've made cardboard templates for the sides now I just have to get some 1/4" plywood and make it out of that, then cut and paste in my 944 console that holds th gauges/shifter/ashtray. I may or may not build an armrest/ebrake portion for the back have yet... I wanna focus on trying to get the car running...

Then it's really just ordering the rods sending out the bottom end (I think I'm just giong to have the local guy I know do the machining and I'll do all the assembly) port the oil pump and then assemble assemble assemble.

Car has lost it's registration so I'm not sure if I'll put it together NA with the stock exhuast/injectors to get it registered... chances are it won't even matter it's OBD1 and they don't even open the hood... as long as it passes the emissions test it will be fine... and I am running a cat and full exhaust, so it shouldn't be a problem either way but the crankcase ventilation is definately not... although I could just run it closed loop into the turbo inlet with a couple seperators in between.

I'm in a weird place where I know it's just around the corner but the money spending is still rediculous and I'm definately getting frustrated with all the stumbling blocks.
Old 04-24-2010, 06:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NonovUrbizniz
Another update...

I'm in a weird place where I know it's just around the corner but the money spending is still rediculous and I'm definately getting frustrated with all the stumbling blocks.

I feel ya, going through the same thing on my z6 build. A low turbo, crappy return and getting way out of hand with the expenses. Good luck with your build.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

And a glimer of hope shines through the clouds... FJ had ONE set of rods left for me after filling all the preorders. Should be shipped out today or tomorrow, so all I need now is:

Miscalaneous silicon couplers/clamps
HG
Machine work on the block/head
Slim fan
45deg elbow for turbo inlet
oil sandwich/turbo feed/filter/line

Still have a lot of work to do though:

Wire up all sensors/gauges
relay wire up the fuel pump
mount the catchcan/breather
mount slimfan
rebuild trans/install lsd
assemble engine/head
install

ugh. lol. Shouldn't be too long now... I've got all the major **** out of the way.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Another mini-update...

Rods showed up (Thanks to Francisco) awesome units!

I mocked everything up in the block that's going to get built and had to pull it apart again to do a little more notching to the block. the girdle didn't need any notching at all.

Motor turns over nice with no interferance, I started porting out the oil pump, I think I'll do a little more with that then send it all out to the machine shop. I'm probobly going to go with the local guy at this point money is getting low and it's a PITA to get everything up to someone else and then pick it up when it's done.

Last clamps/couplers should get here this week so I can finish the mock up of the I/C piping. Then jsut a few little details to get out of the way and I can pull out the mock up motor and get the LSD and bearings installed in the trans...
Old 08-23-2010, 07:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ugh... Can't believe my last update was in May... My life's been all over the place over the past year so things died out completely with the car for a while.

I just traded in my Subaru for a new Mazda3 and got some cash back so I'm going to be finishing this thing up finally.

Look for updates in the coming weeks.
Old 10-09-2010, 04:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

... or Not... lol. I got lazy and F'd myself again...

Ordered these:

Should help keep the engine in place if I ever manage to finish it.

I decided to go with the local guy after talking with him... he seems totally competant and sends out some stuff that he's not equiped to do.

I Freaking ported through the wall of the oil pump after backfilling the hex nut area to improve flow... I just went to smooth out the epoxy and ended up working the outlet more and busted right through... I don't know if I'm going to have someone who can weld fill it with aluminum and do it again or order another one or rebuild one of the two I already have off of used engines...

I stripped apart the front end becuase I had some issues with my ground controls and that was a hornets nest too... I've got the front all stripped down now and will sand blast the koni's and repaint them. Paint all the suspension arms etc.... problem is that I found out my front pass. wheel bearing is no good... Chasis has over 250k on it so I should probobly just do all four...

I Moved the car into my brother's garage which is nice since it's covered and level floored... but it's cramped and a little awkard to work in.

I was literally going to send out the engine on tuesday or wednesday until I busted through the wall of the pump... Really have to figure this out quick. Anyone know welders in south western CT?

I have a couple things I need done.

I'm going to work on getting that sorted out and do a TON of painting... I made up a sandblasting "cabinet" and it's AWESOME

I'll post up some pics tomorrow of some of the parts I've blasted... thing is magical...

Tomorrow should be a good day for paint.
Old 10-11-2010, 05:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow very nifty ^
Old 10-11-2010, 08:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah thing works great... should've gotten a better bin to start with as all the super fine dust still pours out of the edges of the lid... but if I use some insulating foam around the top it should seal up pretty solid...

I didn't get any more work done yesterday which sucks it would've been a great day to paint but my kids have definately been getting neglected lately (I usually take them at least 2 places a weekend but lately have been spending a lot of weekends just around the house working on the car)... so Sunday we did some stuff instead of working on the car.

Going to send out the engine this week regardless of the oil pump... I'm going to figure out what I'm going to do while the engine is getting machined.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh and the Sandblasting bin only cost like 22 bucks or so. Bin, two toilet flanges, pair of industrial gloves, 2 6" hose clamps, and a piece of plexi glass... as I said though I have to seal it up as it is I still have to wear a dust mask.
Old 10-11-2010, 03:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 37 Likes on 37 Posts

Slowest build thread ever lol. Blasting is awesome. I spent a couple days blasting random stuff for the hell of it after I got my setup going.

Is the trans buttoned up yet?
Old 10-11-2010, 06:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Lol... Seriously... I was a year in before I started the thread.

Have not touches the trans yet... It's out I may do that this weekend.

I'm going to send out the bottom end and head this week and try to bang out the rest for when it gets back but realistically it's going to take longer.

I work a ton I've got two kids and am going through a divorce so it's definately not top of my priorities.
Old 10-12-2010, 02:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

dont worry if it takes a while. the fun part is the journey, not the destination. trust me when its all said and done you will be glad it took so long.
Old 10-12-2010, 05:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, I'm just being a wimp about it. I really could have just slapped one of the blocks together with the standard vitara's and gotten it up and running a while ago, but I just keep wanting to do it "right" lol... which has left the car to sit.

I'm going to get off my *** now and go pack up the block and everything that's going to the machine shop and get it out tomorrow. That should light a fire under my ***...

I've got suspension and hub problems to deal with that I didn't expect either... I think I'll just order those so I don't slack off with that. Then maybe try to get home "early" (730-8 on the best of days) and get a bunch of sand blasting done so that I can really churn out some paint this weekend. I'm going to repaint all of my suspension pieces and sort out all the problems with my Ground Controls... The day I put those in and tightened down the alan bolts I said in my head... "these will never come out again" I was right.. lol.

Gotta make a list and start banging jobs out... I'd like to get it done in time for the snow... lol.
Old 10-12-2010, 07:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

nice.. my friend is trying to do the same.. with that piston rod combo what c/r are yo lookin ?
Old 10-13-2010, 08:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Compression with this kit on the D16Z6 engine will be approx. 8.47:1
Using Std. Length Rods (137mm) will drop the Compression Ratio 1 full point.
Old 06-20-2011, 06:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I miss you... I'm sorry... I haven't given up yet... One day I'll have time AND money instead of one or the other.
Old 02-23-2012, 03:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow... lol... I just can't believe it's been this long... I sent the engine out today, have the spindles out getting wheel bearings replaced. Going to rebuild the transmission and install the LSD next weekend...

Should hopefully be done and ready to tune by april or so... UGH...

I just don't have time or money and it's not a priority at all... but my brother is going to kill me if it sits in his garage anymore and the idea of selling it all of makes me want to throw up...

The beast will rise again.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

looks good, that looks like a nice valve cover lol
Old 03-07-2012, 06:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Can't freaking believe I put it off this long... I've had tons of crap going on in my personal and professional life so I just haven't had any time to dedicate to the car...

I also hit a big stumbling block when trying to find a machine shop I could trust... I ended up finally sending it out to a local guy.

Just went to give him some cash today for the machine work and some specs... dude KNOWS HIS ****... EVERY word out of his mouth was like freaking Manna from heaven I'm freaking dying to get everything back from him... Should be all done this weekend or early next week latest.

I still have a lot to do on the car but I'm going to spend this weekend rebuilding the trans, prepping the engine bay, staging things, and coming up with a list of odds and ends I never took care of the last time I was working on it.

I might put a list of crap I have to do up here but I'm almost afraid of how freaking long it's going to be....

If all goes as planned I should be done with the trans this weekend, get some of the wiring/gauges installed and get the list of **** I should order...

Then next weekend I'm hoping to have the engine/trans in/wired/plumbed.

Reevaluate then go from there but I'll likely take a week off in the next month or two to get it buttoned up and out to Xenocron for tuning.

Quick Reply: NonovUrbizniz's D16Z6 Turbo Build - like the Energizer Bunny, It keeps on going