Notices

NonovUrbizniz's D16Z6 Turbo Build - like the Energizer Bunny, It keeps on going

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 08:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts
Default NonovUrbizniz's D16Z6 Turbo Build - like the Energizer Bunny, It keeps on going

**Edited Mar 15 2012**

Well here it goes. again....

I've been researching buying and re-researching and re-buying for 300 years....

https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/suggestions-d16-turbo-build-2174208/
https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/questions-before-going-turbo-2198723/
https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/oh-boy-did-i-just-go-all-2664871/

So I've purchased 99pct of all the parts and I'm mocking things up right now just to try to minimize install problems once I get the engine back from boring.

Here's a Breakdown:

1993 Civic EX Coupe 260k miles on chassis and trans, engine was a junkyard block with under 90k on it.

Bottom End:

D16z6 75.5mm
Vitara's
FJ I beams
ACL Bearings
Moroso Oil Pan

Head:
D16z6 Stock Valves/Ports
Zex/Comp 53900
Zex/Comp Springs
Zex/Comp Titanium Retainers
D16Y8 Intake Manifold with Xenocron IAT bung welded in stock Z6 location
Stock Throttle Body

Fuel:
Walbro
AEM Fuel Rail
AEM FPR
Marshall FP Gauge
Precision 525cc Injectors

Management:
Hondata S300 wboost control
Innovate LC-1
Hondata 4bar Map Sensor

Turbo Setup:
Borg Warner T3/T04B 57 trim turbo with .55 a/r hotside
Spoolin Quick4 A/C Compatable Closed-Loop wg dump
Spoolin 3" DP
2.0" Hotside 2.5" Coldside I/C Piping
Tial 50mm BOV
Tial 38mm WG
B&R Dseries Catchcan ((with drainback (maybe))

Exhuast
Kteller 3" bolt up with Magnaflow resonator/muffler
Carsound 3" Magnaflow Hi Flo Cat

Trans:
Mfactory D series LSD
Action 2MD Clutch/PP
Fidanza LW FW

Brakes:
15/16th's Master
ITR/Prelude Fronts
Rear Disc Conversion

Suspension
GC/Koni

Gauges:
Oil Temp
Water Temp
Oil Pressure
Boost
Wideband O2
EGT

Still have a couple things to iron out but got the bottom end and head quick4/turbo/DP mocked up (I'm using my completely stripped bottom end from my original car that spun 2 rod bearings, and the head from the donor bottom end w/o the comp/zex cam/springs/retainers):

Clearance is great with the A/C mount/compressor mocked up... the only problems I forsee are the oil drain line is going to be hard to keep sloping down... I haven't taken too close of a look at it yet but it will probobly be ok with some 45deg. A N fittings.

I'm being a wimp about sending the motor out... the guy who's going to do it is great and whatnot... but hasn't done any high HP honda's... I figure it will be fine as long as I give him the bore size I want in inches.

**I was a wimp and stupid, dude is a genius and did AWESOME work for CHEAAAAAAP***

I might also let him port the head... He would also do Darton Mid sleeves for 200bucks installed... I know the guy is a top notch builder but I've heard a lot of horror stories about domestic guys and hondas... but he also built nissans back in the day 280's and 240's....

**He's sick I was dumb, between him and the guy he works with now they new more than I did and actually corrected me on some things and explained them in detail.

DID NOT do any porting. Stock ports, Stock seats, Stock valves**

But now Im beginning to think about sending it out to GE or Evans or somewhere to have it sleeved and built... with all this money invested it seems stupid not to spend the extra 800-1200 to have it balanced/blueprinted...

**All those dudes rule and if I had it to do over I would have sent out my stock block and gotten a package from one of the above companies instead of piecing it all together and then sending it out to someone.

OR if I was on a tight budget I would have gone with stock sized vitara's and NO machine work at all... just swap and go.**

I can precision weigh all the components and ensure they all match... and I have micrometers and dial bore etc...

If anyone is local to CT/NY area and knows of a place I can bring my crank/rotating assembly to be balanced that would be AWESOME!

**If anyone is local to CT/NY area wants to know a place let me know**

Once I decide what to do with the block (go local to the guy I know who's probobly fine (he builds motors that win seasons at English Town for fords and chevy's)... Or go nuts and send it out to one of the vendors for sleeving and possibly even building with my parts.

New Content 2012:

Got the motor back from the builder, he actually sold his machine equipment to a friend of his when he moved his home a couple years ago. Between his machine's and what the guy already had they're set up NICE! Torque plate while line boring, awesome decking of the block and head... The guy with the machines welds too so he's wrapped up a couple little things I needed done.

PICS of the head and block:

These are just phone pics while quickly taking it from my trunk to my brother's basement. I'm going to get some work done this weekend so I'll take more pics and have a decent update on progress...

For now the car is up on stands with the front suspension completely dis-assembled as well. I have the spindles out getting new wheel bearings pressed in. The GC/Koni setup off and stripped down, I'm getting replacement sleeves/collars and am going to sandblast/paint the Koni's and the stock shock mounts and some other misc. pieces.

Goals for this weekend are to get the parts I need blasted and painted done, then either install the LSD/bearings in the trans and get that ready for install, OR get the engine completely squared away and ready for install.

I'm still debating on whether to loop the steering while everything is out or to reinstall the power steering... I drove a manual steering car for years and didn't think anything of it so I'm leaning towards looping the power rack...

Last edited by NonovUrbizniz; 03-15-2012 at 06:38 PM.
Old 12-15-2009, 11:25 PM
No Sales Forums

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default re: NonovUrbizniz's D16Z6 Turbo Build - like the Energizer Bunny, It keeps on going

Nice setup.
Old 12-15-2009, 11:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default re: NonovUrbizniz's D16Z6 Turbo Build - like the Energizer Bunny, It keeps on going

Nice I like how much hp ur going 2 do with that setup ?
Old 12-15-2009, 11:53 PM

d16 with turbo... decent
Old 12-16-2009, 06:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Shooting for 300-350whp daily on pump gas (94). If I port it I might shoot for 400 High Map and 300-350 on the "low" map.

Took a look at the oil drain situation last night and it's going to SUCK! really bad angle.

I'm going to probobly slap the intake manifold/rail/fpr/gauge/injetors/tb together tonight and mock it up...

Gotta strip it down and send the mani/dp/dumptube back out. Then I'm going to send the engine out...

Really having trouble making the decision whether to send it to the guy I know or try harder to find one that does D's or even Honda's regularly.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I was going through the same kind of thing with tuning issues.. I've decided to go to the guy that does hondas regularly...

are there any other honda guys around you??? If so, where have they gone to get their work done?
Old 12-16-2009, 09:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't know any other honda guys around me. I went to a meet once and there were definately some turbo guys there... but this isn't exactly the season..

I know there are some people in here from CT I was hoping they'd chime in.

As far as tuning I'm going with Xenocron, he's very reputable and not too far away from me in CT.

The engine I'm bouncing back and forth between a lot of ideas.

I'm probobly just going to send it to the guy I know and have him bore it to my specs then check it when it gets back and assemble it all myself... I'm sure he'd do a fine job but he's a friend of a friend so I'd hate to have it turn sour down the road.
Old 12-16-2009, 01:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NonovUrbizniz
I don't know any other honda guys around me. I went to a meet once and there were definately some turbo guys there... but this isn't exactly the season..

I know there are some people in here from CT I was hoping they'd chime in.

As far as tuning I'm going with Xenocron, he's very reputable and not too far away from me in CT.

The engine I'm bouncing back and forth between a lot of ideas.

I'm probobly just going to send it to the guy I know and have him bore it to my specs then check it when it gets back and assemble it all myself... I'm sure he'd do a fine job but he's a friend of a friend so I'd hate to have it turn sour down the road.
why not ask Xenocron about local honda builders.. I'm sure he could point you in the right direction??

I know what you mean... I'd suggest talking to Xenocron and see... I'd rather have someone who works on hondas all the time rather than someone who is "capable" but never does... I'm sure manufacturer-manufacturer has a few intricacies here and there... anyways... good luck! sounds like a good build!
Old 12-16-2009, 01:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

miss the D's
Old 12-16-2009, 02:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My motor is at Synapse Motorsports Schenetady NY right now, Morgan is a good guy to do buisness with. Hit them up.
Old 12-17-2009, 06:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Did some wiring for the gauges last night.

I've really gotta get off my *** and get this thing out before I go on vacation next week.
Old 12-17-2009, 09:48 AM

There's always Eastwoods in Somers, CT that built Rota92's 9 second D series ;-)
Old 12-17-2009, 10:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^NICE! thanks for the heads up... gave them a call and they were REALLY good to talk to.

I think I may be going there.

Now to decide if I want to sleeve it or not.
Old 12-17-2009, 11:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Great setup!

You'll easily reach your 300-350 goal.

What p2w did you go with?
Old 12-17-2009, 01:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Havent' set it yet... I'm leaning towards .035 to.038 or so.
Old 12-18-2009, 12:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 37 Likes on 37 Posts

Where are pics of the trans?
Old 12-18-2009, 01:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The work bench in my brothers basement won't support the weight... lol... and my buddy's gas station that's been there for 30years JUST closed down a week ago... so I lost my lift access and almost every specialty tool I could hope for.

I've got to get my air compressor from my parents house and clear off the sturdier bench in my bothers basement. Then pics will come... I might get started on it this weekend.
Old 12-25-2009, 01:19 PM

^NICE! thanks for the heads up... gave them a call and they were REALLY good to talk to.

I think I may be going there.

Now to decide if I want to sleeve it or not.
Yeah I forgot dude's name but he's good money to talk to. I havne't heard any negative feedback from any of his customers
Old 12-25-2009, 05:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Havent' set it yet... I'm leaning towards .035 to.038 or so.
i went with .0035 on a 75.5mm vitara and stock sleeve z6. ive had no problems but i really make sure to let it get warm before driving.
Old 12-25-2009, 09:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lsdb1
There's always Eastwoods in Somers, CT that built Rota92's 9 second D series ;-)
my buddy had them build a motor for him.he paid 5800 and it lasted 3 passes at the track. it was tuned by a good tuner (morgan@synapse). take that for what its worth.

a bunch of locals around here use northeast machine in east hartford.

locally to me theres also bob bruneau engine research in bristol, your looking at about 800-1K for finish machine/assembly but hes the best of the best of the best.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So mini update...

I took a vacation right after Christmas and didn't have time to get anything out before I left. I'm going to try to get everything together this week or next to get sent out.

Right now I'm debating whether or not to put the mock up engine in the car so I can test fit the downpipe exit because it looks like it's off and needs to come in towards the passenger side like 15 degrees... it also looks like it slopes down towards the ground too much but it's impossible to tell without it in the car...

My exhaust got shipped but I F'd up the address so they ended up returning it to the sender... so Now I have to pay to have it shipped again.

The engine is going to be a PITA to get upto Eastwoods.. although I think that's what I'm going to end up doing. They have a computer balancer for the crank/fw/pp so I'm going to do that there and then have them probobly just bore out the stock sleeves to set the p2w clearance for the vitara's... I haven't decided if I'll let them build it or not... I might check the clearances myself with my parts and see what it looks like. I've just been hard pressed to get motivated to work on it despite how bad I want it done...

Mocked up the intake manifold and the catch can setup that all looks OK but I'm going to have to do something about the IAT in the y8 manifold... I might just order one of the IAT flanges from Spoolin and have it welded to the manifold... right now it held vacuum the way I have it but I doubt it would hold boost... Might be able to get it machined flat where it's mounted now so it would seal better... I'll bring it up to Eastwoods when I go there and see what they think.

Other than that I still have to order the vacuum manifold and some fittings/lines for the oil feed/return and for the in cabin oil pressure gauge.

I'll post some pics up again later tonight.
Old 01-25-2010, 07:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Got my kteller exhaust in today...

Old 01-26-2010, 02:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by blackeg
i went with .0035 on a 75.5mm vitara and stock sleeve z6. ive had no problems but i really make sure to let it get warm before driving.
lol this is funny to me but it p**ses me off when i think about it. I requested .0035 ptw clearance for my 75.5 vitaras. When i got it back from the machine shop I checked the bores using some telescope gauges and found the bore to not have the clearance i asked for. So I called the head machinist at the machine shop and he swore up and down that it has .0035 thousandths clearances.

So I took his word for it and now I deal with high temperature problems causing a loss in oil pressure. So far the engine still runs but I'm very suprised, maybe it's because I gapped the rings to what people reccommend for these pistons

And has anyone ever heard a vitara built motor sound quieter than a stock d16 lol

I will soon be pulling the head off to hone the cylinders again, I'll post a thread of the damaged pistons lol. I might even give them .004 thousandths clearance just for safety
Old 01-26-2010, 02:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

btw very nice build
Old 02-28-2010, 08:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

nice build

Quick Reply: NonovUrbizniz's D16Z6 Turbo Build - like the Energizer Bunny, It keeps on going