Notices

No PCV system in Boosted LS/VTEC motor

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2003, 10:00 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default No PCV system in Boosted LS/VTEC motor

to start i have a 1999 B18B block on a B16 head. as most of u know the newer b18b and b20 blocks have no oil/air seperator box on the back of the block.

i know this is bad and i drove on it for over 12k miles with no problems, finally the car started to smoke and burn oil. i noticed if i put my finger over the valve cover spout while it was running it would start pouring smoke out of the exhaust but would stop when i took my finger away. so the other day i just installed an endyn breather kit and it helped the smoking situation quite a bit but i beleive the rings are still pretty badly worn from not having a pcv system for so long. the compression was as follows 1-4:
170, 170, 135, 140

the motor has never seen over 15-16psi and has forged internals(8.6:1 CR) with a blockguard and has alwasy been properly tuned with hondata. my question is do u think a honing and re-ringing will fix this problem? and does the increase in bottom end pressure affect anything else besides the rings? (obviously the crank seals have more pressure, but theyre not leaking so no need mention those). can just the extra pressure alone wear away the ring seal or do u think it could be due to cylinder warpage? which is more likely in this situation. thanks in advance
Old 11-16-2003, 03:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: No PCV system in Boosted LS/VTEC motor (99B16Si)

No pcv system how does that work? I was going to remove the pcv and run a hose to a can open to atmosphere. Would that not work? Since there is no pcv it would not need vacuum to draw on it correct?

Does the b18b have a setup like I am talking about or there just isn't any way to relieve pressure. Please school me.
Old 11-16-2003, 04:32 PM

Default Re: No PCV system in Boosted LS/VTEC motor (slashDEVslashNULL)

is it an open system? I am trying to understand how it would relieve pressure?
Old 11-16-2003, 07:17 PM

his car has NO system. running an open line to a breather vent will work without vacuum. you oil might get dirtier a little faster though. under boost, a pcv system is closed anyway. just make sure you have some type of catchcan (factory or not) or i think your filter will clog fast.
Old 11-16-2003, 07:29 PM

Default Re: No PCV system in Boosted LS/VTEC motor (ndogg)

i have a 94 ls head and intake mani...i have a 96 up ls block...with no spot for oil breather can...the vac line that went to that on the mani is blocked off...my pcv valve is broken there for just has wires connected to it and no vac lines. and i have a breather filter on my valve cover...is this bad?
Old 11-16-2003, 07:41 PM

Default Re: No PCV system in Boosted LS/VTEC motor (civicb18)

I drove for thousands of miles w/ no pcv system. I just had a small fuel line coming off of my valve cover going back to behind the motor to the atmosphere(don't tell the feds). I had the black box on the back of my b18b but didn't have it connected to the intake manifold valve or anything. no problems for over a year.
Old 11-16-2003, 08:11 PM

newer B20 and B18b blocks dont have the black box on the block. they have a pcv system built into the head, but thats the stock head....i have a vtec head on a 99 B18b block, hopefully that clears that up so someone can give me an answer. thanks
Old 11-17-2003, 03:55 AM

Default Re: (99B16Si)

get a catchcan system running!!! endyne has one for like 150.
Old 11-17-2003, 06:04 AM

wow...ndogg, I ALREADY DID!!! and i stated that in the original post, but thats not what im asking. some one knowledgeable in this situation please help me out. please dont post if you dont know what youre talking about or are just guessing. thanks again
Old 11-17-2003, 06:21 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 99B16Si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
the motor has never seen over 15-16psi and has forged internals(8.6:1 CR) with a blockguard and has alwasy been properly tuned with hondata. my question is do u think a honing and re-ringing will fix this problem? and does the increase in bottom end pressure affect anything else besides the rings? (obviously the crank seals have more pressure, but theyre not leaking so no need mention those). can just the extra pressure alone wear away the ring seal or do u think it could be due to cylinder warpage? which is more likely in this situation. thanks in advance</TD></TR></TABLE>

I would say that you most likely have bad rings, the compression isnt horrible but if not fixed WILL GET WORSE, you will probably get by with a hone and re-ringing the pistons. Did you have the engine bored when you put in the new internals? If so (most likely you did) the rings may just be shot but the cylinder walls fine you might be able to get by with just replacing the rings and run real light weight oil for a good break in. This way you can fix engine without removing it.
Old 11-17-2003, 06:30 AM

thats what im hoping for...just a quick hone and then re-ring. the block has only been honed once and that was when i built it almost a year back
Old 11-17-2003, 06:37 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 99B16Si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thats what im hoping for...just a quick hone and then re-ring. the block has only been honed once and that was when i built it almost a year back</TD></TR></TABLE>

If the bores are scared then you will deffinetly need to rehone but if you want to save time you can just take pistons out and re-ring and reinstall (Also good idea would be to measure bores to see if egg shaped if no scarring or egg shaping then I would just re-ring. Unless you dont really mind going through the trouble of taking the motor out and completely apart to have it honed then do that because it would be the right way to do it.
Old 11-17-2003, 08:58 AM

Default Re: No PCV system in Boosted LS/VTEC motor (ndogg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ndogg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">his car has NO system. running an open line to a breather vent will work without vacuum. you oil might get dirtier a little faster though. under boost, a pcv system is closed anyway. just make sure you have some type of catchcan (factory or not) or i think your filter will clog fast.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Why would the oil get dirtier quicker? Sorry to post in here, but I am doing an ls/vtec and will be in the same boat.

So the endyn breather kit solved the problem of crank case ventilation? I don't care about emissions, I want to know if I could do the same thing I mentioned earlier, just run a hose open to atmosphere. Does the block have a spot for ventilation, or do I need to drill a hole. I know I am probably completely off here. I ask because it was mentioned the the pcv was on the head.
Old 11-17-2003, 09:10 AM

there are 2 large 14mm allen key plugs that need to be removed to install the endyn system
Old 11-17-2003, 09:11 AM

now back on the initial topic...anyother feedback would be greatly appreciated
Old 11-17-2003, 12:05 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 99B16Si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">wow...ndogg, I ALREADY DID!!! and i stated that in the original post, but thats not what im asking. some one knowledgeable in this situation please help me out. please dont post if you dont know what youre talking about or are just guessing. thanks again</TD></TR></TABLE>

my mistake.

slash-
it will get dirtier faster because there is no vacuum pulling out the air. only the pressure itself. so it will tend to get a little dirty because the blowby will kinda linger in there more. since you don't care about the enviroment, this is what i suggest: get a catchcan or make one. run a line from your block to that and then just let that dump into the air. if you wanted you could also put a pcv valve on that and run it into your intake manifold but then when you are in boost, you will not be evacuating the pressure since the valve will be closed. i woudn't just run a line from the back of your block without using a catch can because the air will be so oily that your filter would clog. and just put a filter on the head too.
Old 11-17-2003, 01:53 PM

Default Re: (ndogg)

or u can run it to a nipple on your intake feeding the turbo so it has constant vacuum and even more under boost
Old 11-17-2003, 05:12 PM

Default Re: (ndogg)

I am def going to use a can, I just didn't want to use the turbo inlet because of what my intake mani looks like on the inside (full of gunk) although I don't have a can right now so that might eliminate most of the residue - I just didn't want the compressor and the wheel looking like the inside of the intake mani.

Thanks for your help, and sorry for kinda jacking the thread