Notices

Newbie Turbo ECU Question.

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2003, 06:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie Turbo ECU Question.

sup.
My plans are to install a max-rev turbo kit on my 1993 H22 Prelude by around Christmas/Jan 04 time.

My question is about what kind of ecu or ecu piggyback i can use.

The turbo will be installed on a motor built with forged pistons, forged conrods,
uprated injectors, deck guard, uprated fuel pump, fuel regulator & fuel rail along with p&p and improved valve train with a t3/to4e turbo.

I want a very streetable setup, with two levels of boost which can be switched in car.

I would like to know what kind of ecu upgrade i should opt for.
I've read most people use the Hondata complete ECU, but i'm reluctant to purchase this as firstly, i dont know how much they cost and secondly.. I'm the United Kingdom and i don't know of any garages experienced with hondata or if in fact there are any hondata ecu'd cars over here.

Most Jap cars run the Apexi Power FC & FC Commander, which i could pick up off ebay for around $800-1000 plus a rolling road setup, my only concern with goin this route,, is if the power fc could be tailored for a H22,, i;ve only seen literature on B18's and a D series engine i think. I understand if i chose to get the Power FC and Commander.. i would need the OBD1 to OBD2 converter harness???

My other option, would be to consider if the APEXi SAFC could be used piggyback to provide sufficient fuel and ignition mapping per pound of boost............???
Could i use the SAFC along with the AVC-R to control the actuator.

Last but not least..............
the ERL Mapable Injector Driver Computer that is available with the Max-Rev Turbo kit. Is this unit adequate for my needs? it strikes me as a budget piggyback mainly designed for water injection systems??

I want something that can be tuned easily, reasonably priced and practical for my situation..

thanks for reading.. i hope someone can teach me a few pointers in this area....
Cheers

Laurence
Old 08-31-2003, 06:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

CHeck hondata's site and see if there are any tuners in your country. If you don't want to use that, and the PFC isn't an option, you can look into AEM, motec, LINK, and others. The AFC will work, but it has some issues with how you can not adjust timing. You could buy a timing controller seperately if you wish
Old 09-01-2003, 02:35 PM

Thanks for the reply mate,
i checked out the hondata website...prices for the s200 are very reasonable around $500-600 with boost control.
There is a UK Dealer, and i have emailed them with tuning availabilities.

However it says i'd need to swap out my p13 chip and put in a p72 chip, in order for the secondary b/fly's to work....
where would i get a p72 chip from?
are these present in integra's?
would it be safe to buy a p72 chip off ebay, and then have the hondata plugged into that, and therefore.. any so-so mappin done on the chip would be corrected and altered on the hondata????
where else could i obtain a p72 chip?

I've seen Apexi Power FC's and Commanders on Ebay,, but for RX7's, and Nissan's.........
I was under the persumption that the power fc could be set back to default,, and tuned so it would control a H22A engine???? i.e. aren't all the power fc's available to be used on any engine.. i thought that was the idea behind an ecu that you programme from scratch????

Old 09-01-2003, 03:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Laurence)

You do not need a P72. Our latest software means that virtually any VTEC OBD I Civic or Integra ECU can be used. A P28 ECU is fine.

email sales @ hondata.com for ECU prices and dealers.

I shall be in the UK end of September for some K series engine tuning.

Doug
Old 09-01-2003, 07:33 PM

Default Re: (Hondata)

Historically, you would need a P13 or P72 ecu, to control the IAB/butterflies/secondary intake runner.

Hondata probably doesn't support the P13 platform, therefore you historically needed the P72.

Hondata: can you elaborate on how you are eliminating the need for the IAB control?

-PHiZ
Old 09-01-2003, 07:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (PHiZ)

Doug probably adds the three components needed to P28/equivalents that are otherwise missing to actuate pin A17, or else he hijacks AC clutch cut (or other misc) to do such dirty work for him and requires the user to repin the ECU connector.

Just my guess, love to hear the official Hondata commentary.