Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

turbo goodness

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 05:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo goodness

hey all, im a noob when it comes to aftermarket honda. but what all would be needed to run 7 lbs boost at most. would i need bigger injectors, high flow fuel pump, exhaust and ECU reprogram, or could all the factory stuff support it with that little boost?
Old 10-17-2007, 06:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: turbo goodness (jonnyboo)

7psi is subjectable to the size of the turbo. On smaller turbo, yes, on a bigger one, probably not.

For arguments sake we'll say you're using a mid-sizer.

It'll be running the **** out of the injectors as well as the fuel pump.

They'll both die out relatively fast. I would swap them, but whatever. The PSI isn't what will run the power out - it's the HP you're making. Also, a 255lph walbro is only like 80 bucks if I remember correctly, that and some old DSM injectors and you'll be pumpin fuel wise.

As for the ECU, you will need a tunable ECU, there's basically three routes you can go with this, you can either A) Chip an ECU and run a program like crome, neptune, etc. on it, B) Buy a standalone ECU such as an AEM EMS or Hondata which is again, fully tunable, or C) Cheapest and worst way to manage it, use hacks and missing links and crap to run rich and with a hack job of a tune pray you don't toss a rod (not recommended).

I'd chip the ECU - just because it's easy, you won't get optimal anything outta hack job street tuning with missing links 'n ****, and a standalone system like hondata is pretty extreme for low boost apps IMO. I'd go with a chipped OBD and a conversion harness if applicable.

As far as the exhaust goes, it will help you gain optimal power by letting the engine breathe better (less resistance on the piston during the exhaust stroke). On a mid-high boosted app a cat-back with no cat (test pipe) can net you like 25hp. It's pretty damn recommended to get some kinda aftermarket cat-back - even if it's some ebay cheap **** - you want the wider diameter piping.
Old 10-17-2007, 06:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: turbo goodness (Syndacate)

^^^ good info, and i guess when you say boost, you mean turbo? Supercharger? because both are boost.

What motor are you using?
Old 10-19-2007, 09:20 AM

Default Re: turbo goodness (Boost_V)

T3 Turbo with Garrett Internals • .42 .48 specs • T3 stage III wheel • 1 Year Warranty • Stainless Manifold • Super Downpipe •
Old 10-19-2007, 09:21 AM

T3 Turbo with Garrett Internals • .42 .48 specs • T3 stage III wheel • 1 Year Warranty • Stainless Manifold • Super Downpipe • this is on a 99 dx. do you think all that is really needed?
Old 10-19-2007, 09:34 AM

also, what if i put it on, and set it for 4 lbs until i do get the rest of the stuff needed?
Old 10-19-2007, 10:01 AM

you sir are an idiot... just read an faq about turbos... you must be young... "im gonna buy a t3 turbo with stage III turbine... eventhough i have no clue what that means"
Old 10-19-2007, 10:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Christ on a crutch.

Go to turbobygarrett.com and check out the turbo tech 101 link u n00b.. lol
Old 10-19-2007, 10:10 AM

Default Re: turbo goodness (LessRice)

Whats wrong with you dude? If you don't have anything positive to say then just shut it, jesus christ some people are major haters on this board.
Old 10-19-2007, 10:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: turbo goodness (djessenz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by djessenz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Whats wrong with you dude? If you don't have anything positive to say then just shut it, jesus christ some people are major haters on this board.</TD></TR></TABLE>

well everyones tired of seeing such brainless **** posted up on here day after day.

I rarely even post on here but just reading it annoys me.
Old 10-19-2007, 10:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: turbo goodness (pat92si)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pat92si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

well everyones tired of seeing such brainless **** posted up on here day after day.

I rarely even post on here but just reading it annoys me.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I agree, but LessRice really needs to shut it if he can't add anything helpful. But i do think the Op needs to do some serious research before making threads like this one.
Old 10-19-2007, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: turbo goodness (pat92si)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pat92si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I rarely even post on here but just reading it annoys me.</TD></TR></TABLE>
then dont read it you stupid idiot ....nothing but haters and **** talkers......he obviously is a noob and he's trying to find out information..... **** talkers take it somewhere else
Old 10-19-2007, 11:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

stupid idiot!
Old 10-19-2007, 11:26 AM
im hench irl

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: turbo goodness (djessenz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by djessenz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Whats wrong with you dude? If you don't have anything positive to say then just shut it, jesus christ some people are major haters on this board.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Although not always true. Read my sig.
Old 10-19-2007, 11:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: turbo goodness (esco562)

Aye, stop arguing.

The OP should have done more research before posting and that's the end of the story.

I provided him with the info he needs, and when he says "boost" - he means turbo, for the jacknuts that decided to get all gay with "well technically both turbo and supercharging are both boost."

No, it would not be okay to slap the turbo on and run it at 4lbs untuned with the stock fuel system and hope it doesn't blow sky-high.

Get all or get nothing. No use doing a half *** job and whining here when you blow your motor.

If you put ignition tuning aside, the reason why you must tune is to adjust the fuel maps so it delivers the right amount of fuel under boost - since stock the ECU doesn't know how to handle that much positive pressure.
Old 10-19-2007, 11:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

and make sure if you DO put that windmill of a turbo in

dont crank it up and revv the **** out of it

your car will blow up. and i will laugh

hard
Old 10-19-2007, 02:35 PM

Default Re: turbo goodness (nix94delsol)

thanks folks for all the wonderous information about how dumb i am, i honestly dont givea ****. i was just offered a kit, and wondered what it would do for me. i used to work for a honda dealership in 2k6 in the service departement. i know plenty about honda, just not much about boosting one, they just didnt come factory with them, and all i have is factory knowledge. but if it does require all that ugly ****, im just gonna get a vtec head, better cam, and a little higher comp. pistons and be done with it.
Old 10-19-2007, 09:10 PM

so if you rev the **** out of it, and it blows....wouldnt that mean your wastegate was not working propperly and you were lacking a bit of fuel? i mean, cant you just get a fuel pressure regulator, and an air/fuel guage to tune a t3 pushing 5-7 lbs just fine? or have the factory injectors already peaked, and anymore air in the system would make it run too lean for the injectors to make up for it?

i know of people that have blown the **** out of thier motors, but they were 15lbs and over boost......and some of them only had a high flow fuel pump, and factory injectors....so couldnta 5lb setup be done with factory injectors, and maybe a remapped ecu....i have access to all the equipement to burn my own chipset, thats not an issue....