Notices

newb turbo tuning questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2018, 04:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newb turbo tuning questions

I'm not new to the car world but to Hondas I am, I'm building a d16z6 im doing a stock rebuild an plan to run 10lbs, car is just going to be a fun family cruiser (92 eg sedan) now I plan to use dsm injectors an all that but when it comes to the tuning aspect I'm lost. what's out there that's affordable an some what a easy set up to use, I know aem, hondata ect.. there is no dyno tuners close to where I am so if I can street tune it my self that would be a big plus.. but need some 1 to dumb down these set ups for me as I know nothing about socketed ecus ect so take it easy on me lol
Old 12-22-2018, 04:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Re: newb turbo tuning questions

Tuning something like a Honda is a little bit trickier then some of the newer cars that have a well functioning knock sensor for feedback. That being said you'd be best off trying to search for a local tuner who can get it done for you. Dsm 450s and a Walbro 255lph fuel pump is a good start. Those injectors will need a resistor box wired in as they are low impedance vs the high impedance stock injectors. If you run them without a resistor box you will end up frying the injector drivers in your ecu. Not sure where your located but if your in oregon I can socket the ecu for $70 and tune the car for $150 and help you install the injectors and wire in the resistor box for $20. Tuning it is pretty straight forward but if you don't understand speed density fuel and ignition mapping I would leave it up to someone who does it for a living.
Old 12-22-2018, 05:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by K7-1Ktrevor
Tuning something like a Honda is a little bit trickier then some of the newer cars that have a well functioning knock sensor for feedback. That being said you'd be best off trying to search for a local tuner who can get it done for you. Dsm 450s and a Walbro 255lph fuel pump is a good start. Those injectors will need a resistor box wired in as they are low impedance vs the high impedance stock injectors. If you run them without a resistor box you will end up frying the injector drivers in your ecu. Not sure where your located but if your in oregon I can socket the ecu for $70 and tune the car for $150 and help you install the injectors and wire in the resistor box for $20. Tuning it is pretty straight forward but if you don't understand speed density fuel and ignition mapping I would leave it up to someone who does it for a living.
sadly im in montana, as far as I know I don't think there are any tuners in montana so better to have it dyno tuned vs me giving it a shot?? if that's the case which program is best?? crome, hondata, or will a shop run there own program?? like I said im a dip **** when it comes to this. (give me a carb small block & I can make it breath fire) lol but all this ecu tuning is a new animal to me
Old 12-23-2018, 03:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 286 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by montanacivic
I'm not new to the car world but to Hondas I am, I'm building a d16z6 im doing a stock rebuild an plan to run 10lbs, car is just going to be a fun family cruiser (92 eg sedan) now I plan to use dsm injectors an all that but when it comes to the tuning aspect I'm lost. what's out there that's affordable an some what a easy set up to use, I know aem, hondata ect.. there is no dyno tuners close to where I am so if I can street tune it my self that would be a big plus.. but need some 1 to dumb down these set ups for me as I know nothing about socketed ecus ect so take it easy on me lol
I would first like to extend a friendly high-5 for the want of building a single slam! Keep them alive brother!!
Second.. I was in a situation similar to you. I did not live anywhere near a tuner that worked with Neptune, let alone, Honda. I went with an E-tune with Phearable.net.. They are not only a snazzy online Honda goody shop, they are actually a very reputable dyno/tune shop. It is an easy process, and John and the crew are extremely knowledgeable and not opposed to answer questions. Look into it.
As for what EMS to use, I would go with Hondata or Neptune RTP. Don't **** around with chip burning, that's a pain in the *** at best. Stick with an on board setup like the S300 or Demon2.
Avoid AEM engine management like the plague. Nobody likes to mess with that system. Not for Honda anyways. Enjoy, have fun, and good luck! I would love to see more of this project unfold so, keep us updated!
Old 12-23-2018, 05:22 AM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 662 Likes on 524 Posts

Also want to welcome another "Z6-headed step child". I went with Hondata. If you go with Hondata, I'd recommend just mailing them your ECU and a check for $650 - that's $500 for the S300v3, $100 for the socketing, and $50 to have the ECU recapped. Add another $50 to that if you want boost by gear.

If you're rebuilding, you may want to stay away from a stock rebuild, and put a little cash in the bottom end (CSS or block guard and some good pistons, and then some beefier rods if you can afford it).

I'd pay to have it dyno tuned, or remotely tuned like Txdragon. Read a lot about folks tuning - Hondata has a forum. Once tuned, you could do some datalogs and see what the software is doing. If you have a wideband and build a det-can, you can then start making small changes on your own to see how it affect things, always listening for knock, watching AFRs, and reading your plugs. Just remember, the closer you are to the edge, the more risky small changes become.
Old 12-23-2018, 07:30 AM
O.G. triple O.G.

Received 220 Likes on 197 Posts

The cheaper route would be Neptune. That's what I went with but won't be tuning the car myself. I will let my local tuner do that.
Old 12-23-2018, 07:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Im on crome trying to brake the engine for 2 years. Haha
Old 12-23-2018, 03:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 797 Likes on 737 Posts

Originally Posted by NVturbo
The cheaper route would be Neptune. That's what I went with but won't be tuning the car myself. I will let my local tuner do that.
The difference in price is almost negligible... buy the product that your tuner is most comfortable tuning with.
Old 12-24-2018, 07:23 AM
O.G. triple O.G.

Received 220 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by JRCivic1
The difference in price is almost negligible... buy the product that your tuner is most comfortable tuning with.
Agreed...to a point. I purchased mine, BNIB, for way cheaper than a comparable Hondata S300. That's what I was referring to.