NEW TURBO DESIGN THOUGHTS ??

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2005, 08:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEW TURBO DESIGN THOUGHTS ??

http://ststurbo.com/sts_demo

http://ststurbo.com/acura___honda

I think it will lag like hell.. the design seems to work well on cars that have a lot of turbo manifolds made for their car. What do you guys think??
or
Old 02-28-2005, 08:54 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: NEW TURBO DESIGN THOUGHTS ?? (mochasi)

this is like the 40005058598th post on this in the last 3 weeks.
Old 02-28-2005, 08:56 PM

Old news, do a search for rear mounted turbo. I think that it is kinda dumb on a honda/acura where there is ample room in the engine compartment. My buddy has the sts kit for his 02 trans am, seems to work well so far on it. Made 427whp on 5psi stock motor.
Old 02-28-2005, 09:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: NEW TURBO DESIGN THOUGHTS ?? (wantboost)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wantboost &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">this is like the 40005058598th post on this in the last 3 weeks.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 02-28-2005, 11:59 PM
I can has title

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: NEW TURBO DESIGN THOUGHTS ?? (PrettyLude)

Ban!!
Old 03-01-2005, 05:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: NEW TURBO DESIGN THOUGHTS ?? (PrettyLude)

really.. ststurbo didn't come up with any search.. and "rear mounted turbo" came up with one.. i guess my searching skillz aren't good as yours
Old 03-01-2005, 05:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mochasi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">really.. ststurbo didn't come up with any search.. and "rear mounted turbo" came up with one.. i guess my searching skillz aren't good as yours </TD></TR></TABLE>

It's alright... the threads almost always have wierd titles that don't have anything to do with what they are about...
Old 03-01-2005, 06:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd love to give the sts system a try. I start asking questions like,...How would it work if it had a really nice header like say a DTR or a Hytech that creates alot of air velocity for quicker spool time. If I had the $$ to do it I'd really enjoy experimenting w/ all these alternative things. I just found out about the sts kit in HCI mag a couple of days ago.
Old 03-01-2005, 06:22 PM

Default Re: (HYREV2NR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HYREV2NR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'd love to give the sts system a try. I start asking questions like,...How would it work if it had a really nice header like say a DTR or a Hytech that creates alot of air velocity for quicker spool time. If I had the $$ to do it I'd really enjoy experimenting w/ all these alternative things. I just found out about the sts kit in HCI mag a couple of days ago. </TD></TR></TABLE>

STS actually recomends the use of the stock manifold. We had better spool time on the TA using stock headers opposed to the long-tubes.

Taken from STS website:
Do I need to put headers on to optimize the turbo system?
No, the extra expense and work to install aftermarket headers isn't necessary. Headers are designed to eliminate backpressure in the exhaust system and facilitate exhaust scavenging and flow on normally aspirated engines. Turbocharged engines work on slightly different principles. Namely, there is exhaust "Pressure" between the cylinder heads and the turbocharger because the turbocharger is the smallest diameter orifice in the exhaust system. The turbine housing gets smaller in diameter to increase the velocity of the exhaust gasses before they hit the turbine wheel. This is how you get 100,000 rpm wheel speeds.
Turbocharged exhaust gas pressures can see as high as 30+ psi on high boost applications. So spending money on higher flowing exhaust components designed to lower exhaust backpressure is usually a waste of money. This money would be better spent on an upgraded turbocharger which would produce more efficient boost with less backpressure or just spending the money on upgrading the engine and fuel system to handle more boost.

Default Re: (HYREV2NR)

so many repost of this
Honda-Tech Member

my thoughts are that this system was designed by someone who had little to no knowledge or experience in much of anything except for working at a muffler shop. It is by far the worst design i have ever seen for a turbo system, and anyone considering it to be a good idea should really try to do some research and read this board. there is a lot of knowledge here. Many of the so-called "bandwagons" are here for a reason.
Old 03-01-2005, 06:28 PM

Default Re: NEW TURBO DESIGN THOUGHTS ?? (Full-Race Geoff)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Full-Race Geoff &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">my thoughts are that this system was designed by someone who had little to no knowledge or experience in much of anything except for working at a muffler shop. It is by far the worst design i have ever seen for a turbo system, and anyone considering it to be a good idea should really try to do some research and read this board. there is a lot of knowledge here. Many of the so-called "bandwagons" are here for a reason.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I agree with you that it is not logical or most effective with a honda motor. Have you ever worked on a F-body before? It literally takes 45min to change out the spark plugs. This kit makes sense for cars of these type due to the lack of room in the engine bay. I was very skeptical of this until my friend put it on his TA. The car sees full boost before 2500 RPM, which is more than I can say for my car. Plus we drove this car through 3 florida hurricanes last year, no problems yet...
Old 03-02-2005, 08:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: NEW TURBO DESIGN THOUGHTS ?? (maxspeedhonda)

i have seen f bodys, in fact we have twin turboed many ls1 motors. What i can tell you, is that if you have to put your turbocharger all the way back there to fit it, then your car really should not be turbocharged.
Old 03-02-2005, 09:30 AM

Default Re: NEW TURBO DESIGN THOUGHTS ?? (Full-Race Geoff)

Read this post ::::::: https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1151279

Then read this post ::::::: https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1158648

Good info
Old 03-02-2005, 09:32 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by maxspeedhonda &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I agree with you that it is not logical or most effective with a honda motor. Have you ever worked on a F-body before? It literally takes 45min to change out the spark plugs. This kit makes sense for cars of these type due to the lack of room in the engine bay. I was very skeptical of this until my friend put it on his TA. The car sees full boost before 2500 RPM, which is more than I can say for my car. Plus we drove this car through 3 florida hurricanes last year, no problems yet...</TD></TR></TABLE>

You know why it makes full boost at 2500? Because they use a 60-1 with a .68 A/R housing and a P-trim wheel. It chokes off flow to the big motor. A friend of mine tried to run a T70 .84 A/R P-trim rear mounted on his camaro, and he didn't make 14 pounds of boost till 4500 RPM's. That same turbo in a conventional setup is kickin hard before 3000.

Rear mount for high performance = lose.
Old 03-02-2005, 09:55 AM
TurboJesse

Default Re: NEW TURBO DESIGN THOUGHTS ?? (turboEGhatch)

a local guy running 2 t70's on his LS1 acutaly switched from a regular setup to putting the turbo's out back...
Old 03-02-2005, 12:42 PM

Default Re: NEW TURBO DESIGN THOUGHTS ?? (Mpir3)

i agree that on a car where u could put the turbo in the engine bay, this system is stupid. but on a car like mine (87 celica gt) where the dont make manifolds it could give me that little extra umph that i want.
Old 03-02-2005, 12:51 PM
TurboJesse

Default Re: NEW TURBO DESIGN THOUGHTS ?? (h22aturbolude)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by h22aturbolude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i agree that on a car where u could put the turbo in the engine bay, this system is stupid. but on a car like mine (87 celica gt) where the dont make manifolds it could give me that little extra umph that i want. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Why couldn't someone make a manifold for your car?
Old 03-02-2005, 02:37 PM

Default Re: NEW TURBO DESIGN THOUGHTS ?? (turboEGhatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turboEGhatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

You know why it makes full boost at 2500? Because they use a 60-1 with a .68 A/R housing and a P-trim wheel. It chokes off flow to the big motor. A friend of mine tried to run a T70 .84 A/R P-trim rear mounted on his camaro, and he didn't make 14 pounds of boost till 4500 RPM's. That same turbo in a conventional setup is kickin hard before 3000.

Rear mount for high performance = lose.</TD></TR></TABLE>

If the turbo is choking the motor up top like you claim, then please explain how the ls1's are making power all the way to the rev limit. There also also a few of them making upwards of 500rwhp on that turbo. The one of my friend car is the upgraded GT series one, and it is acually quite big. Larger than the sc61. I have also seen TT TA's, but the turbos are always located under the motor, low enough to eat asphalt. I am by no means saying it is a engineering masterpiece, but it does get the job done...
Old 03-02-2005, 03:01 PM

I remember seeing a setup like this on a EF hatchback that was on ebay a while ago
car went keep because it looked stupid. The compressor pipe had to run all the way back to the engine. anyways. first time i've seen it being produced as a kit by a company
Old 03-02-2005, 03:35 PM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: NEW TURBO DESIGN THOUGHTS ?? (Speedracer32)

Might not be a bad idea for someone with a weekend and $300 to spend on a junkyard setup and Uberdata. I understand why this works out for F-bodies, but even after reading the glowing report in HCI this past month (Remote-Mount Turbo, p. 69) I somehow doubt their claims about throttle response and no lag.

If I'm wrong - and it is indeed very possible that we all are - they have a great concept that manifold makers should fear .
Old 03-02-2005, 03:44 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by maxspeedhonda &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

If the turbo is choking the motor up top like you claim, then please explain how the ls1's are making power all the way to the rev limit. There also also a few of them making upwards of 500rwhp on that turbo. The one of my friend car is the upgraded GT series one, and it is acually quite big. Larger than the sc61. I have also seen TT TA's, but the turbos are always located under the motor, low enough to eat asphalt. I am by no means saying it is a engineering masterpiece, but it does get the job done...</TD></TR></TABLE>

The turbo is choking the motor up top because the power is a LOT lower than a 60-1 in a .96 A/R housing mounted up front of the motor would be. Like 50 RWHP down even compared to a mediocre TTI kit with a log header.
Old 03-03-2005, 11:19 AM

Default Re: NEW TURBO DESIGN THOUGHTS ?? (Mpir3)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mpir3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Why couldn't someone make a manifold for your car?</TD></TR></TABLE>

i have yet to find some one in the st louis area