Notices

New rings/bearings + hone retune? Tweak with Neptune rtp?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 05:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New rings/bearings + hone retune? Tweak with Neptune rtp?

Hey all, so it looks like I have either fried a ring or cracked a ring land. (Obv. Hoping just th ring) I am running a stock internals mystery mileage jdm B18B (they always claim unser 100k). Gt28rs 15psi 230whp + tq.

I am just wondering how much my tune will be thrown off by just replacing the rings and rod bearings + a hone. I am tuned on neptune so I figure I will buy an rtp unit and tweak the tune I currently have on the street before taking it for an hour on the dyno with the pros. I haven't tuned a car yet but think i have a decent grasp of the process/concepts.
I just want to see if someone has had a similar experience and knew how drastically the tune could be thrown off.

Yes I do have a wideband.

I am also wondering if there is a recomended break in time for a new set of rings/bearings befoe seeing any boost/tuning.
I would really love to be able to drive my baby this summer but the budget is streched thin having an S13 & Mkiii supra as well :s
Thanks for any help TI has always been there in the past for me!
Old 03-20-2013, 05:41 AM
Moderator in Chief

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: New rings/bearings + hone retune? Tweak with Neptune rtp?

I replied to your thread on TI.

If your engine was shity during the tune then yes it would be effected. Clean up the AFR and get back on the dyno. Put at least 100 miles on it to break it in and street test ot.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes I just saw and replied in that thread thanks Muckman it sounds like I am on the right track to getting the car back on the road.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 73 Likes on 61 Posts

i go by this for break in-

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
Old 03-20-2013, 10:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Very intetesting read there. Has anyone else tried this method. My concern is that running it hard would mean it would build boost which would not be a good thing for rings that are not sealed yet.

If anyone else can chime in on this that would be great.

Also with obvious wear particles going through the exhaust should i be worried about the internals of the turbo?

I have run full synthetic since turboing and would also be a bit concerned about coking using regular dino oil. Would this problem be negated by letting the car idle for 5+ minites before shutting down?

Thanks for all the input.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Run reg oil till you get it broke in. I broke in 2 motors built by me using that meathead. 1 was NA 1 turbo.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:27 AM
Moderator in Chief

5 minute cool down is excessive. You dont race it up until the point you shut it off do you? And your water cooled turbo doesnt use oil to cool the CHRA either.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Mafia did you disconnect your charge pipe for that? I wouldn't want to be doing 3/4 or WOT runs and building boost before it is properly broken in. (Unless I am misunderstanding something here)

Muckmam I know 5 minutes cool down is excessive esp. With the BB turbo but that's the way I usually think.

Would the extra garbage coming from the honed cylinder/news ring be any sort of issue going through the exhaust/oil system. I def don't want to be cause grief on any seals or journals.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:26 AM
Moderator in Chief

You generally flush oil very frequently during break in to flush that debris out. Upon first engine start inspect everything. Check for fuel leaks, clutch/trans operation (with drive wheels in air), loose bolts, make any tune corrections and bleed the coolant system. Shut it off and flush the oil. Then take it for a test drive. You dont have to beat the snot out of it right away but put some increasing loads and rpm through it. Make sure to monitor AFR and increase load/rpm as you confirm its safe. Allow full vac decels as well. If you log your compression test results you will see cylinder pressures increase as the rings seat.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Cool great info from all here.

The only thing I'd like clarified is if I should make sure to stay out of boost until my compression #s plateau or is it alright to hit increasing amounts as long as the AFRs are safe?