Notices

New Main Caps for a Sleeved Block, Pro-Help Requested

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 12:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default New Main Caps for a Sleeved Block, Pro-Help Requested

So I just picked up a sleeved D16Z6 block for a steal, but it is lacking the main cap / girdle deal. I've been searching in the archives for information on align honing and the sort and the general response has been fuzzy at best. Some have said since tolerances are so tight that I could just bolt the donor mains on with the crank and make sure it spins freely, others have suggested that align honing is needed, and still even others have said that an align hone throws off the oil pump geometry, therefor = the bad. So what is the proper course of action with this block and new mains?`

REFERENCE
https://honda-tech.com/zerothre...30921

Old 11-21-2006, 12:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: New Main Caps for a Sleeved Block, Pro-Help Requested (dr_latino999)

how can align honing throw off the oil pump

align honing should do the trick generally, line boring as well a few thousandths, honda has penty of bearings so you can fix any clearance problem.
Old 11-21-2006, 12:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New Main Caps for a Sleeved Block, Pro-Help Requested (SPOOLINmatt)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SPOOLINmatt &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">how can align honing throw off the oil pump</TD></TR></TABLE> Well...
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Earl &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Even better, you may want to ask them how they can possibly sleeve their blocks and not have the main saddles move on them and therefore not need the expense of an align hone. Ask them to explain how the inside oil pump gear is aligned by the crank and what happens to your oil pump clearances when the crank centerline is moved but the oil pump is still in the same spot.</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tony1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have built alot of high hp honda motors and have never had an oil pump failure or bearing problems. I have NEVER align honed the mains on a block that didn't absolutely need it. I agree with earl, I think it affects the crank centerline and is a big cause of oil pump failures. Like Earl said, a small block engine doesn't work the same way. If you have a dry sump on a honda, by all means, align bore/hone the mains...
</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 11-21-2006, 01:15 PM

Default Re: New Main Caps for a Sleeved Block, Pro-Help Requested (dr_latino999)

never line hone a Honda block only line bore and the way we do it is to trim a little off the main caps so when we line bore it most of the material we take off is off the main caps not the block if you line hone it you are working with a aluminum and still so when you line hone the block it takes off the block not the mains and you will have a problem and i will look around the shop and see if we have any mains if we do i will pm you
Old 11-21-2006, 01:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have been in the same boat with you bro.

and i got sooo many different answers, my machine shop wouldnt even mess with my block unless they had the matching mains and girdle. This what they told me "even if we align bore it, there will still be a little lip/over hang from the mains being from a different motor"

it kinda took me a few minutes to understand it all, but i got the jist of it.

EARL may be able to help you in your situation
Old 11-21-2006, 01:27 PM

Default Re: (mrbsponge)

we line bore all our builds and have line bored meny unmatching mains to blocks and have neaver had a problem if done right the crank will not move and you will be fine
Old 11-21-2006, 03:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Golden Eagle)

So, if I hear correctly the proper way to align a main cap from another motor is to remove material from the main as much as possible to maintain the crank centerline as close as possible to where it was stock?

On a side note, do any of the major manufacturers produce a set of main studs for a D16Z6?
Old 11-21-2006, 03:13 PM

Default Re: (dr_latino999)

yes but you do not need to take much off the mains just a little bit and arp has main studs we can get them for you if you want just let me know
Old 11-21-2006, 03:23 PM
trapped in my own room!

we had several customer who either lost the caps or the caps were damaged and got new caps and got the line bore and working perfectly fine.
Old 11-21-2006, 07:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Golden Eagle)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Golden Eagle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ARP has main studs we can get them for you if you want just let me know </TD></TR></TABLE> Are these a commonly available part as I don't see a part number for them in the ARP catalog.
Old 11-22-2006, 07:46 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dr_latino999 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Are these a commonly available part as I don't see a part number for them in the ARP catalog.</TD></TR></TABLE>

my bad i didn't realize they don't offer them for a d16 block i will ask around and see if i can find anyone that makes them