Notices

new lude ,should i go turbo or get a jacksons racing charger

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2001, 11:03 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new lude ,should i go turbo or get a jacksons supercharger

got new prelude .i want more power which one would produce the more power and be reliabe ?? thanks

[Modified by whiteb16a, 8:04 AM 12/30/2001]
Old 12-30-2001, 02:17 AM
New User

Default Re: new lude ,should i go turbo or get a jacksons supercharger (whiteb16a)

turbo is the only way to go
Old 12-30-2001, 02:42 AM

Default Re: new lude ,should i go turbo or get a jacksons supercharger (01geeser)

s/c is a waste of time...go more boost, go turbo!!!!
Old 12-30-2001, 06:26 AM

Default Re: new lude ,should i go turbo or get a jacksons supercharger (maxim)

TURBO!!! TURBO!!! TURBO!!!!
Old 12-30-2001, 06:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: new lude ,should i go turbo or get a jacksons supercharger (whiteb16a)

this might as well be the turbo forum. your not gonna find many people in here voting for jrsc
Old 12-30-2001, 07:05 AM
What is this crap?

Received 57 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Re: new lude ,should i go turbo or get a jacksons supercharger (JCushing)

i voted for JRSC just so its not unanimous (i hate going with the crowd for no reason).

Who knows, he just might want a setup that (should be) more reliable than a turbo, with no lag and less total power.

Personally, I think as the displacement of the engine goes up, the more a SC makes sense.
Old 12-30-2001, 08:11 AM

Default Re: new lude ,should i go turbo or get a jacksons supercharger (falconGSR)

Go to http://www.hostboard.com/cgi-bin/for...gras&number=40 for your supercharger questions/opinions.

I'm turbo biased, but I don't have much expereince with Preludes.

Tom
Old 12-30-2001, 08:19 AM

Default Re: new lude ,should i go turbo or get a jacksons supercharger (blowncivichb)

i think turbo should ultimatly be your choice.....im not hating on S/C....but its just not my thing...they do have some bad sides to themm....and they do lag....so i'd rather make more power especially out of a new lude lol damn you'd get to like 250 flywheel horsepower like nothing.....ohh and woould u rather wnat ur car to sound kinda electric(no offense) or just blow off in front of the crowd
Old 12-30-2001, 09:32 AM

Default Re: new lude ,should i go turbo or get a jacksons supercharger (JCushing)

this might as well be the turbo forum. your not gonna find many people in here voting for jrsc
There's a reason for that.
Old 12-30-2001, 10:13 AM
New User

i have the jrsc on my 2000sh. a friend of mine in the area has a turbo on his 99(?) base. his car is faster and has about 30 more whp (220 vs 250, 6psi vs 7psi), but it took him a hell of a lot more work to get there, and it's only faster up top. i have more torque from about 2000-4500rpm. he also has a lot more mods than i do, but we all know that a turbo at a given pressure will give you more peak HP than a supercharger at the same pressure.

unless you are ready to spend a big pile of cash, i would say neither. the prelude is not too friendly to forced induction from what i can see. everyone has problems of some sort. if you do decide to go turbo, don't even screw around with rising rate FMUs or additional injectors; just save yourself the hassle down the line and get a standalone from the beginning.

finally, it depends what you want to do with the car. do you just want a fast daily driver for getting from one stoplight to the next? i think the sc, with it's more accessible power band, is the ticket. if you want to make a 12 second car for the track, turbo is really your ONLY option.

if i had to do it again, i'd probably just leave the car stock and trade it in for a new M3. i may do that yet as a happy 2002 gift for myself, but probably not. too much time and energy in the lude right now.
Old 12-30-2001, 10:17 AM

Default Re: new lude ,should i go turbo or get a jacksons supercharger (falconGSR)

falconGSR.....
Just wondering why you think that as the displacement goes up a S/C makes more sense. IMO if you have a small displacement motor a roots blower would be ideal. I'm not sure why the centrifugal S/C is the choice for larger displacement motors especially in the domestic world. I guess it's because they can get away with it. A turbo would make more sense to me for those domestic guys that have trouble making top end power. I'm not even sure why they make centrifugal S/C.

For the guy who posted.....
It's all about what you are trying to accomplish. You can make good power with a JRSC, I'm getting ready to put a 9lb pulley on my car w/ hondata and am looking to get about 250 to the wheels and should be good for low 13's on street tires. I am a daily driver so I think my set-up is IDEAL for ME. Yeah, I had to shell out a little more money than the turbo guys in order to be as fast, but I wouldn't have wanted it any other way. I get instant boost, it's low maintenace, my car will be tuned like it came from the factory, and it will be fast!!!!!! The blower is good for about 10 psi, the only reason I'm not doing that much is because i am concerned about the longevity of the motor. Which is another reason I think the JRSC is not such a bad idea. It's almost too easy to up the boost with a turbo. A year ago I would never have boosted more than 8 psi. If I had got a turbo, I guarantee you I would have it set-up to run like 15 w/ the hondata. Probobly not everyday, but when you have a boost controller in you car and it's constanly tempting you, I don't know, I would probobly get myself in trouble. But it's all about what you want, I think my set-up will be pretty sweet though.

[Modified by SuperchargedGSR, 7:19 PM 12/30/2001]
Old 12-30-2001, 04:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

you will find that most everybody on here is pro-turbo on this board.

liam

...what a bunch of turbo ***** we are...
Old 12-30-2001, 04:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: new lude ,should i go turbo or get a jacksons supercharger (liam821)

JR was having some problems in the cold with the black box that controls fuel and timing for the lude. It basicly leaves and car in a undrivable state. This was before xmas and i have not spoken to the two local guys with them since so if you live in the north you might want to wait till the problem gets resolved before getting a JRSC.
Old 12-30-2001, 04:27 PM
New User

Default Re: new lude ,should i go turbo or get a jacksons supercharger (redline)

how cold is cold? are you referring to chomorro's problem? i hadn't heard that it was temperature related...

that last time i hit the dyno we were seriously confused about what was going on - the car was pulling fine but taking a hell of a lot more fuel than it shoulda to run safe.
Old 12-30-2001, 04:48 PM
What is this crap?

Default Re: new lude ,should i go turbo or get a jacksons supercharger (SuperchargedGSR)

SCGSR, the reason is effeciency. these sub 2.0 Liter motors need effecient power adders.

Unfortunately, the Roots blower has a functional effeciency limit. The turbo makes more power with less energy from the engine. Look at what manufacturers are doing. Mercedes has a 2.3L supercharged configuration (kompressor). Anyone using forced induction on sub 2.0L motors is going turbo, such as audi, vw, etc. Even Honda uses a turbo on their 1.2L City (Japan).

The Mercedes is a Lsyholm SC I believe. Its more effecient than Roots (it compresses the charge internally, but its the same general principle as roots).

Centrifugal SC's are just turbos that are driven off the crank. I dont know if that configuration is better than turbo for these big V8s, but I can tell you this. It is a NIGHTMARE to install exhaust/turbo manifolds on mustangs and probably camaros/vettes too. The Centrifugal SC may be nice cause it can be advertised as bolt on instead of taking it to a shop to drop the motor/tranny etc.

Plus being mechanically driven means never having to worry about a wastegate being dorked with and causing a deadly spike. You have to swap pullies to get more boost. This is something that is in favor of superchargers in general. Its slightly harder to blow your **** up.

I got off subject. again.
Old 12-30-2001, 05:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TURBO TURBO! did u even really have to double think it?!?
Old 12-30-2001, 06:53 PM
What is this crap?

Default Re: new lude ,should i go turbo or get a jacksons supercharger (redteg1)

TURBO TURBO! did u even really have to double think it?!?
yeah.
Old 12-30-2001, 07:21 PM
New User

What do you guys think for a Type R?
Old 12-30-2001, 08:29 PM

Default Re: new lude ,should i go turbo or get a jacksons supercharger (1 FAST R)

The answer is still turbo, just make sure you lower the compression.
Old 12-30-2001, 11:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: new lude ,should i go turbo or get a jacksons supercharger (1 FAST R)

Turbo.....
Old 12-31-2001, 08:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: new lude ,should i go turbo or get a jacksons supercharger (schwett)

how cold is cold? are you referring to chomorro's problem? i hadn't heard that it was temperature related...
I am not sure who chomorro is but the two i know of personally are in calgary canada and they have had problems when it droped below freezing. The black box was mounted inside the car and if they could get the car to run long enough for the car to make heat and get the inside of the car warm then the car ran fine. The cars ran fine all summers and then droped delow freezing both cars had the same problem in the same day.

Both there cars ran really rich. (10:1) they are both using afcs to get rid of some fuel on the top end.
Old 12-31-2001, 08:51 AM
New User

Default Re: new lude ,should i go turbo or get a jacksons supercharger (redline)

thanks for the info i think ill go turbo .thanks again
Old 12-31-2001, 10:12 AM
New User

turbo.