Notices

New to Honda

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 05:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to Honda

Hey,
First off let me start by saying that I am new to Honda's and honda-tech.

I tried searching but am in a time constraint right now and can't find the answer I need.

I am going on Sunday 4/13 to pick up my first Honda. It is a 1992 DX 5 speed sedan. I am buying the car with the goal of turbo-charging it.
However, I have just read that the greddy turbo kit that I want is for the EX vtec. So my question is:

Will a turbo kit designed for an EX work on the DX?
The answer to this question will determine whether or no I buy the car.

I should also note that I am not trying to make insane power. My goal here is to have a car that is good on gas but can be fun to drive when I want it to be. If the Greddy EX turbo kit can be fairly easily made to work on the DX then I will go ahead and buy the car.

Thanks in advance for the quick help and sorry for asking a question that I am sure has been answered.

Looking forward to becoming a honda owner
Old 04-10-2008, 05:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yea itll work but i wouldnt just turbo a stock motor with no tuning Or Fuel managment. You have a long road ahead of you. Ide by the car and try to learn more about hondas. Befor i drop 3 or 4 grand on a turbo kit. But hey Its ur cash.
Old 04-13-2008, 04:52 PM

Default Re: (thorclark)

I was going to have the air/fuel tuned with a hondata system.

So the greddy turbo kit should work just fine?
Old 04-13-2008, 05:03 PM
ME LOVE U LONG TIME

Default Re: (HKCivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HKCivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I was going to have the air/fuel tuned with a hondata system.

So the greddy turbo kit should work just fine?</TD></TR></TABLE>

yes it would, but you could make more power by piecing your own kit together ...
Old 04-13-2008, 09:44 PM

Default Re: (tannerLSt)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tannerLSt &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

yes it would, but you could make more power by piecing your own kit together ... </TD></TR></TABLE> piecing a kit together i think is always better cause you can pick each part,, but it is alot more money...
Old 04-14-2008, 11:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (95 civic turbo_gsr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95 civic turbo_gsr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> piecing a kit together i think is always better cause you can pick each part,, but it is alot more money...</TD></TR></TABLE>

No, piecing together a kit is not more money. I did it with about $1500 and the only used parts I used was a EVO VIII BOV and DSM injectors. Numbers in sig.
Old 04-14-2008, 12:11 PM

Default Re: (jmm96gsr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jmm96gsr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

No, piecing together a kit is not more money. I did it with about $1500 and the only used parts I used was a EVO VIII BOV and DSM injectors. Numbers in sig. </TD></TR></TABLE>
X2
My kit is $1300
and that includes the tunning
p28 corme tuned
Old 04-14-2008, 01:36 PM

Default Re: (95jeremie)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95jeremie &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
X2
My kit is $1300
and that includes the tunning
p28 corme tuned
</TD></TR></TABLE> i'm talking about buying all name brand stuff. not anything off ebay. chrome will work but it isnt as nice as hondata or aem for example.
Old 04-14-2008, 02:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95 civic turbo_gsr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> i'm talking about buying all name brand stuff. not anything off ebay. chrome will work but it isnt as nice as hondata or aem for example.</TD></TR></TABLE>
OK, pal, you are mistaken. The only parts that I bought off ebay is the cast manifold and intercooler - both of which have been proven to work. I am running a Garret turbo, TiAl WG, Hallman boost controller tuned with uberdata. It's called choosing your parts wisely.

And back to the OP since we're so off topic - SOHC Vtec w/ a simple pieced together turbo kit would be fun for the street and you could learn from it as well.
Old 04-14-2008, 06:27 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jmm96gsr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
OK, pal, you are mistaken. The only parts that I bought off ebay is the cast manifold and intercooler - both of which have been proven to work. I am running a Garret turbo, TiAl WG, Hallman boost controller tuned with uberdata. It's called choosing your parts wisely.

And back to the OP since we're so off topic - SOHC Vtec w/ a simple pieced together turbo kit would be fun for the street and you could learn from it as well. </TD></TR></TABLE> maybe you were able to find some really good deals. the reason i said it would be expensive is because i was going to get rid of my greddy turbo and manifold, and when i priced a gt28 it was about 1000 plus something like a peakboost manifold is like 300-500. so that could potentially be $1500 just for the turbo and manifold.

and yes i do agree that a turbo sohc would be fun for the streets...
Old 04-15-2008, 05:58 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95 civic turbo_gsr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> I'm talking about buying all name brand stuff. not anything off ebay. chrome will work but it isnt as nice as hondata or aem for example.</TD></TR></TABLE>
only ebay part i have is a knock off bov and IC piping
and what's wrong with that?

correct chrome is not as good as hondata or aem
however chrome is tried and true for daily ap. and it's free
they better be better for the price they charge
Old 04-15-2008, 10:58 PM

Default Re: (95jeremie)

do people really think that $595 is too much money for a s300? anytime you try to make a slow car be a fast car its going to cost alot of money so why cut corners.
Old 04-16-2008, 02:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95 civic turbo_gsr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">do people really think that $595 is too much money for a s300? anytime you try to make a slow car be a fast car its going to cost alot of money so why cut corners.</TD></TR></TABLE>

ahhh, yeah considering uberdata cost me .... nothing.
Old 04-16-2008, 07:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'd rather go with Neptune. Hondata doesn't feel like it's quite worth the money to me.

As far as a pieced together kit being more expensive that's ridiculous. Try pricing a pre-made kit that includes a GT28 with a ramshorn manifold, tial 44mm wastegate, tial 50mm bov, etc.. That would be so ridiculously priced compared to what you could piece it together for yourself.

As far as the OP I would recommend learning a whole lot more about boost and how it works. Would not recommend boosting a stock motor with high miles. Research and then when you think you know it all realize your wrong and keep learning. The more you know about how everything works the better you will troubleshoot your problems and the more peace of mind you will have about your setup. Good luck man and welcome to the world of Hondas. It's like crack once you get a taste your hooked.

Modified by neoc03 at 8:20 AM 4/16/2008
Old 04-16-2008, 01:28 PM

ahhh, yeah considering uberdata cost me .... nothing. </TD></TR></TABLE> and your saying that uberdata can do all the same stuff as an s300? you can just plug in your laptop and change anything you want?
Old 04-16-2008, 02:38 PM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95 civic turbo_gsr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">do people really think that $595 is too much money for a s300? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes because i dont think Hondata is really worth the money for me. I dont plan on ever changing my tune once its on the ECU, so why pay for features i'm never planning to use? I see your point, but its not for everyone. Also, Hondata is falling out of favor IMO because EMS's like Neptune offer the same thing but for a fraction of the cost.

As you can see from the sig, i'm planning a pretty decent build, but still running Crome. I've used it for 2 years and haven't ever had a problem. As long as your tuner is familiar with the program, there's no reason not to run a freeware program.

My tune is simply set it and forget it
Old 04-16-2008, 05:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95 civic turbo_gsr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> and your saying that uberdata can do all the same stuff as an s300? you can just plug in your laptop and change anything you want?</TD></TR></TABLE>

OK, man I can see you just don't understand and you trying to make one quote into something totally different. No, Uberdata is NOT the same as S300, it is tuning program simple and free. It does not have the same features as S300, but it is free and it does work for what I need it for. I think it's odd that you went with a piece of **** Greddy kit and went high end with S300.
Old 04-18-2008, 10:47 PM

OK, man I can see you just don't understand and you trying to make one quote into something totally different. No, Uberdata is NOT the same as S300, it is tuning program simple and free. It does not have the same features as S300, but it is free and it does work for what I need it for. I think it's odd that you went with a piece of **** Greddy kit and went high end with S300. </TD></TR></TABLE>just so you know, i didnt know that the greddy kit was a pos until i bought it. thats why the only thing i'm using out of the kit is the turbo, manifold, and intercooler. i sold the e-manage and got the s300. i sold the 310cc injectors and put in 550's instead. the other problem i have is that i am in hawaii so i'm kinda limited on what i can get tuned here.