Notices

New and have a problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 10:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New and have a problem

Hello Honda-tech, i have a problem and need some advice. I have a turbo GSR in a DC4, and for some reason if I take my car to 5000 rpm it somkes bad, and the cabin fills with smoke. But if i drive my car under 5000 no smoke. Any help is thankful. By the way it wasn't like this after install.
Old 02-21-2006, 12:40 PM
wrenchin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: New and have a problem (1slowdc2)

ha. you blew something up REAL good. seems like that smoke might be coming from the valve cover breather. something tells me you dont have a catch can. time for a re-bulid!
Old 02-21-2006, 01:30 PM

Well thanks for the insight. The car drives fine if i don't go past 5000 rpms. If it is my valve cover breather can it be fixed with out a rebuild? Even if i take it past 5000 it still pulls hard(drag kit 7psi). Well i planed on a rebuild just not this early. Guess it's time to buy a catch can. Any other ideas or is that the one?
Old 02-21-2006, 01:34 PM

have you done a compression check or anything like that? have yoyu looked under the hood at all? im just curious. i vote for blowby coming out the valve cover also if it is getting into your cabin
Old 02-21-2006, 01:47 PM

Default Re: New and have a problem (tallyturbo)

Well to answer your question, yes i have looked under the hood but didn't know what to look for. Going to do a compression test as i now know that should be my next step. If the numbers are fine is it fixable with out a rebuild? Oh and by the way it overheats now. Thanks for your help and i hope all is not lost.
Old 02-21-2006, 02:00 PM
BCICAN

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Overheats now? You're definitely going to have to pull it apart.
Old 02-21-2006, 02:03 PM
B A N N E D

I don't know much about turbo but maybe boost is lifting ur head or something or exhaust mani gasket or wastegate gasket
But u said ur overheating soooo mmmmm
O
All I know is when ur car starts to overheat it mean something happen inside probably ringlands I don't know

Time for boost expert to give u a better input on that good luck
Old 02-21-2006, 04:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New and have a problem (spoon95eg)

sounds like your into big problems
Old 02-22-2006, 07:48 AM

Default Re: New and have a problem (turbolshatch)

Well everyone, thanks for the info. I can't do anything till the weekend, so i'll let you guys know then. Again thanks for the help.
Old 02-22-2006, 10:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

post the engine and turbo setup....

the smoke may very well just be from the exhaust....do you hear a raspy noise when you rev the motor? does it have an exhaust leak anywhere under the car?

DO you have factory headstuds? what motor is this on?

If the head is lifting under boost it may be causeing the smoke and the exhaust leak allowing it in the driver area
Old 02-22-2006, 10:40 AM

Default Re: New and have a problem (D@nnY)

Well, where to start. It's a 97 GSR (motor), with a Drag 3 kit. Hondata, Walbro 255 fuel pump, 440 RC injectors, N1 exhaust (not turbo), Clutch Masters stage 3 clutch and flywheel. The motor is stock, never opened. I also have a non-stock radiator (it's steel i think).

I had a exhaust leak from turbo to downpipe (got that way from denting the downpipe, i think). Got a new one. i think that fixed my problem, no more black crap on my radiator, not as much anyways. After denting the downpipe it started over heating.

After getting the new downpipe my mech told me my thermostat was broken that's why it was overheating. Got new one didn't fix the problem (but doesn't overheat as fast). Also after the mech fixed my car i started to notice little bit of smoke from exhaust.

255hp @7psi, 169 tq
Been driving the S ever since. Need more let me know.
Old 02-22-2006, 11:58 AM

at least it isnt your only car. when you do a compression test make sure you post up the results. you might have a bad headgasket.
Old 02-22-2006, 12:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well drain the oil and and check for coolant and drain the coolant and check for oil...

you can look on the oil dipstick for milkshake...

is the car loosing coolant? does the catch tank overflow when you boost the car?

with the car cold remove the radiator cap. allow the car to heat up with the cap off but keep an eye on the temp to make sure its not gettign to hot....verify the fan comes on when it gets to tempature...

with the radiator cap off look to see if theres bubbles or a valcano effect coming out of the coolant...these are signs of a blown heagasket stretched headstuds or a lifted head

also make sure you didnt crack the radiator when you hit whatever you hit to dent the downpipe
Old 02-22-2006, 12:35 PM

Default Re: New and have a problem (D@nnY)

Thanks for the wonderful advise. I'll do that as soon as i can (weekend maybe earlier). Any more ideas, keep them coming. To think i sat here for months wondering if you guys could help, that and my daily driver isn't that bad.
Old 02-22-2006, 02:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Comp test like everyone else said.....

If you hit the dp hard enough that might have helped the head lift. I imagine if you were to hit the dp the resulting force would be up and toward the back of the car. And since the dp is attached to the turbo, the turbo to the mani and the mani to the head........see where I am going? I personally have never heard of this and it is a bit of a guess, but it doesn't seem out of the realm of possibility. It does seem though that no matter what the head needs to come off. Maybe you'll be lucky and all you need is a hg and few hours out of your weekend to fix it. GL.
Old 02-22-2006, 02:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the head will break or the studs will snap off before a bump will maek the head lift
Old 02-22-2006, 03:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (D@nnY)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by D@nnY &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the head will break or the studs will snap off before a bump will maek the head lift</TD></TR></TABLE>

I know that it would be a sudden shock rather than a gradual heating and expansion, but it was just a guess. He said that this problem started after he hit the dp hard. Strange that it happened after he did that. Not saying that this cause the head to lift just one of those things that make you go hmmmm.
Old 04-24-2006, 08:23 AM

Default Re: (KeyserSoze)

Sorry to bring this back from the dead, but i got that compression test. Right to left, 220 ,200 ,180 ,160 . The 160 being the closest to the dizzy. Well i guess its time for that rebuild.
Do you think i should still do a leak down test? Might it be just my head gasket?
Hopefully when i pull my motor apart i will see what the problem is. I'll take pictures and post for all your opinions.