Neptune was the cause of my 4 weeks without my car!

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2005, 05:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Neptune was the cause of my 4 weeks without my car!

I just verified once again...
after spending weeks and weeks, replacing different parts... and checking the health of my motor

compression 190 180 190 190
leakdown test less than 1% across all four
no vacuum leaks (tested with a bike pump and a boost leak diy tester)
timing with timing gun ... perfect
switched out OEM fpr for another OEM fpr
installed a new ignitor coil inside my distributor
fuel pressure gauge installed... reading 45 psi at idle

I just burned a basemap for my car with uberdata and the car ran perfect!!

EDIT: i want to add that i started this thread in frustration, because as you can see, i spent alot of money on parts and hardware to troubleshoot everything, when this could have been easily avoided i guess with a test of the ecu bin file

Modified by igo4bmx at 10:54 PM 9/27/2005
Old 09-27-2005, 05:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

now im just sitting here in my garage hoping someone can help me get my bin and re burn it to one of my spare rom chips
Old 09-27-2005, 05:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Neptune was the cause of my 4 weeks without my car! (igo4bmx)

Have you spoken with your tuner yet?
Old 09-27-2005, 05:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Neptune was the cause of my 4 weeks without my car! (0x64)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 0x64 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Have you spoken with your tuner yet?</TD></TR></TABLE>

not yet
but this is the biggest flaw as of right now... i can't do anything at the moment, since its not user adjustable
i should be a user adjutable beta tester now!
Old 09-27-2005, 06:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wouldn't be so quick to blame the software.

however, you might want to look to the tuner.
Old 09-27-2005, 06:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: (Bryson)

The software is just that, software. It won't operate w/o the correct information on the chip. lol Sounds like you got a bad chip or a bad basemap. Talk to your tuner and he'll get you taken care of. Sometimes it's hard to make a basemap for a car if you don't have a map from a similar setup. Basemaps are just that, basemaps that'll hopefully start the car and allow you to check for leaks and stuff.
Old 09-27-2005, 06:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

man, you have had osme of the worst luck bro
Old 09-27-2005, 06:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (tony1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tony1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The software is just that, software. It won't operate w/o the correct information on the chip. lol Sounds like you got a bad chip or a bad basemap. Talk to your tuner and he'll get you taken care of. Sometimes it's hard to make a basemap for a car if you don't have a map from a similar setup. Basemaps are just that, basemaps that'll hopefully start the car and allow you to check for leaks and stuff.</TD></TR></TABLE>

neptune tunes aren't really tuned as basemaps

and actually my car started acting up after a retune... where the neptune software was upgraded to the latest code...
before that i was running neptune for about 4-5 months without a problem
Old 09-27-2005, 06:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by igo4bmx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

not yet
but this is the biggest flaw as of right now... i can't do anything at the moment, since its not user adjustable
i should be a user adjutable beta tester now!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Get with your tuner. He will send you your map. I think it was a great idea to keep Neptune from the public. It would give tuners a chance to find and sort out bugs. Look at all the bad press the S300 is getting right now for a couple small bugs.
Old 09-27-2005, 06:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (igo4bmx)

And after the retune it apparently ran fine for 4 weeks or more before this happened at random. That means it has nothing to do with the tune or the software it was running. If something changed in your setup or the chip went bad, of course you could compensate for it by having a retune or making a new map. Tunes don't randomly die out after weeks of running fine, it could have been a change in the setup or a problem with the *chip* itself as I mentioned before in a PM with you... Not the software, the tune, or the tuner (Jeff alone has done 92 cars and you're the only one with this issue to date). I hope you do figure it out and as I said Jeff is ready and willing to help you out with it. Thanks.
Old 09-27-2005, 06:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (HRTuning)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HRTuning &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">And after the retune it apparently ran fine for 4 weeks or more before this happened at random. That means it has nothing to do with the tune or the software it was running. If something changed in your setup or the chip went bad, of course you could compensate for it by having a retune or making a new map. Tunes don't randomly die out after weeks of running fine, it could have been a change in the setup or a problem with the *chip* itself as I mentioned before in a PM with you... Not the software, the tune, or the tuner (Jeff alone has done 92 cars and you're the only one with this issue to date). I hope you do figure it out and as I said Jeff is ready and willing to help you out with it. Thanks. </TD></TR></TABLE>

i understand that you believe neptune is fine but here is the evidence that i believe would lean toward my case...
1- both me and a friend both had this same problem and happened with a day of each other!
1a- we both were retuned the SAME DAY
2- while he was being tuned after i was, the neptune with romulator was acting extremely weird, where the car ran extremely rich, then extremely lean for no reason...while his maps were not changed... his 2step sensitivity was changed, thus the file was reburned on the chip.
also i forgot to add, it only ran for a little over 2 weeks...

Old 09-27-2005, 06:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i might conclude that the rom chip went bad.. what could have caused that though?

I should reiterate that i was running neptune for months before the retune, without a single hiccup
Old 09-27-2005, 07:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I think your chip just went bad.
Old 09-27-2005, 07:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (red_crx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by red_crx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I think your chip just went bad. </TD></TR></TABLE>

how does it "just go bad"? how can i prevent that from happening again?
Old 09-27-2005, 07:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by igo4bmx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i understand that you believe neptune is fine but here is the evidence that i believe would lean toward my case...
1- both me and a friend both had this same problem and happened with a day of each other!
2- while he was being tuned after i was, the neptune with romulator was acting extremely weird, where the car ran extremely rich, then extremely lean for no reason...while his maps were not changed... his 2step sensitivity was changed, thus the file was reburned on the chip.
also i forgot to add, it only ran for a little over 2 weeks...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, I had issues with the romulator while tuning your friends car. I have recently replaced that romulator with another new unit. I had that particular romulator for over 2 years now. I have had other romulators go bad in the past, and the car acts the same way. That has nothing to do with the tune, or the maps that were on either chip. I changed his 2 step tps setting, but didnt update his neptune version or touch any of the maps. He has not said a word to me to this date about how the car is running, so i have no idea what is going on with his particular car.

The fact that your car ran fine after the tune date, and one day it didnt run well anymore doesnt reflect the software or tuning at all. It could have been something with the chips getting static on them at the shop while getting burnt. I have not had any other customer complain about this situation with neptune, nor have i experienced this situation with any of the cars that i have contact with on a daily basis that run neptune (6 of them). You are in the same elevation, temperature, humidity, etc that i am so any of the fuel or ignition correction factors in the software would make the cars that i have contact with on a daily basis run the same, which they do not.
Old 09-27-2005, 07:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by igo4bmx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i understand that you believe neptune is fine but here is the evidence that i believe would lean toward my case...
also i forgot to add, it only ran for a little over 2 weeks...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Whether it was 2 weeks or 4 weeks that the car ran fine, it still ran fine for some period of time. Tunes don't randomly go bad. Chips can go bad and components of an engine/setup can change. The ECU cannot keep track of days, hours, or minutes. There is no way for the software to run fine up until a certain point in time and then run differently afterwards, which is basically what you're claiming happened to you and your friend. It's just not possible with the hardware components the ECU houses. I wish I had an explanation for you, but I don't. Jeff updates the software about once a month (Which means quite a few other people are running on the same exact version you are) and none of the other individuals that were tuned by him or any of the other tuners had anything like this happen.

The romulator is a 3rd party emulator made by Xtronics and has nothing to do with the software itself. If it was acting up it's not because of the software directly, many people have issues with the romulator hardware from time to time that are not limited to what software they're using it with.

I've presented all of the facts that I can to help you understand. I can't form your opinion for you, but I'm sorry you think the software had anything to do with it. Good luck to you sir, I hope you get everything squared away.
Old 09-27-2005, 07:53 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by igo4bmx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
i should be a user adjutable beta tester now!</TD></TR></TABLE>

I would guess that after you give someone (or any company) such bad press on such a popular site...they might be inclined to deny your request.

And if you are so unhappy with Neptune, why would you want to BETA test something? Thats what BETA software is...buggy software
Old 09-27-2005, 09:05 PM
Banned

Default Re: Neptune was the cause of my 4 weeks without my car! (xenocron)

James,

You can "borrow" our S200B unit if you want. We can reburn your maps on our datalogger and laptop.

Ricky
AF-Performance.
Old 09-27-2005, 09:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Neptune was the cause of my 4 weeks without my car! (af-performance)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by af-performance &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">James,

You can "borrow" our S200B unit if you want. We can reburn your maps on our datalogger and laptop.

Ricky
AF-Performance.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yea, thats not gonna work Ricky. Plus, why would anyone want to downgrade?

That's like breaking up with your hot, model girlfriend who has D Cup **** and no Gag Reflex in order to date a 4'11 Fat Girl with a Yeast Infection...**** just doesn't make sense.
Old 09-27-2005, 09:31 PM
Banned

Default Re: Neptune was the cause of my 4 weeks without my car! (Suprdave)

its an option because he hates the neptune

Old 09-27-2005, 09:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Neptune was the cause of my 4 weeks without my car! (af-performance)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by af-performance &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">its an option because he hates the neptune

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Go **** the fat girl if you want, Ricky...

PS: Don't hate on neptune just because you can't ***** it out...
Old 09-27-2005, 10:46 PM

Default Re: Neptune was the cause of my 4 weeks without my car! (Suprdave)

mmmmmm, no gag reflex.
Old 09-28-2005, 04:30 AM

Default Re: Neptune was the cause of my 4 weeks without my car! (stealthmode62)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by stealthmode62 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">mmmmmm, no gag reflex. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I wish we could post **** on H-T

LOL
Old 09-28-2005, 04:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (HRTuning)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HRTuning &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I've presented all of the facts that I can to help you understand. I can't form your opinion for you, but I'm sorry you think the software had anything to do with it. Good luck to you sir, I hope you get everything squared away.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i guess to clarify, there are two variables i am concerned about, the actual bin file going bad somehow, and the physical ROM chip going bad too.

I agree that it seems unlikely that the tune itself (the bin file) was the culprit and I am leaning toward the fact that the ROM chip went haywire...

luckily I have two ROM chips and im gonna re-burn the bin file to my spare rom chip to make sure I can eliminate the physical variable here..
Old 09-28-2005, 04:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Neptune was the cause of my 4 weeks without my car! (xenocron)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by xenocron &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I would guess that after you give someone (or any company) such bad press on such a popular site...they might be inclined to deny your request.

And if you are so unhappy with Neptune, why would you want to BETA test something? Thats what BETA software is...buggy software </TD></TR></TABLE>

I was happy running neptune for the 4-5 months before my retune...
I think when James puts out the user adjustable version, it would have helped me much earlier in my troubleshooting. (i.e. i could have resaved the same bin if i had it )

Quick Reply: Neptune was the cause of my 4 weeks without my car!