Notices

need to replace turbo....but with what?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 11:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need to replace turbo....but with what?

so ive been noticing a lot of oil on my garage floor lately, so i checked it out today, and the turbo is leaking in the center section. ive wanted to replace it anyways cuz its one of those cheapo t3/t4 turbos they sell on ebay (i bought the car with it). my question is, im looking for a turbo with pretty similar specs because im very tight on money. spending the money on a turbo is going to be pushing my limits, so a re-tune might be out of the question right now. and i also want the new turbo to fit so i wont have to get a downpipe/chargepipe re-fitted. basically a new quality exact replacement. any help would be appreciated.
Old 12-08-2007, 11:52 AM

It sounds like your seals are just busted. You can actually just replace the bearings and be done with it, as opposed to replacing the entire turbo.

What are the specs on the current turbo?
Old 12-08-2007, 11:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: need to replace turbo....but with what? (philafelman)

http://www.rcautoworks.com/ind...tId=3

Cheap turbos there, and more than likely will be the same turbo dimesions as you have if you get the 57trim. CHeapturbo.com also has good deals.

To respond to the above post, the ebay turbos are known to chew their seals up. The 'fix' usually involes rebalancing the comp wheel, a new turbine shaft, beaings, and possibly a chra if yours isn't drilled perfectly straight.
Old 12-08-2007, 12:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: need to replace turbo....but with what? (HiProfile)

.50/.63 is stamped on the compressor/turbine housings. this is also on a stock h22/ 2.5in DP, 2.25-2.5in charge pipes.

and a pic just for the hell of it.

Old 12-08-2007, 02:57 PM

I would get a 57trim (w/ .63 a/r exhaust housing). It should be pretty damn close to your current turbo and give your 2.2L room to breathe. Heres one for $620. I ran one on my gsr, the cheapest i ever found a brand new was $600 shipped (can't remember where sorry ).

http://cheapturbo.stores.yahoo....html
Old 12-08-2007, 03:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: need to replace turbo....but with what? (JoePSI)

thanks guys, great info...i forgot to mention its a 5 bolt if that makes any difference. also, this turbo on the car is about 1/4 inch away from the radiator, are the exterior dimensions about the same? and will the spool characteristics be the same/can i avoid a retune?

thanks again for all the help!
Old 12-16-2007, 07:17 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by philafelman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thanks guys, great info...i forgot to mention its a 5 bolt if that makes any difference. also, this turbo on the car is about 1/4 inch away from the radiator, are the exterior dimensions about the same? and will the spool characteristics be the same/can i avoid a retune?

thanks again for all the help! </TD></TR></TABLE>

Just order a 5bolt exhaust housing (5bolt housing positions the turbo different than a 4bolt, I'm assuming you mean the compressor is 1/4 away from the radiator? If thats the case then a large compressor housing will cause some clearance issues. You can always drop your radiator under the core support and bracket it there. (so that is lants forward, this allows u to still use the lower radiator brackets) If you have a wideband then monitor the AFR's if not then I would get it retuned... it's not worth the risk.