Notices

Need help with overheating

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2005, 04:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need help with overheating

After driving my car for about minutes, my car will start to overheat. I have a turbo 01 GSR. I have replaced the thermostat with oem one. Changed the hg cause I thought that was the problem. Also put in arp head studs while I had the head off. Changed the timing belt and water pump (all oem). Bled the coolant system a few times.

Then found out my cooling fan was out. I switched in my bros working cooling fan, but still overheats after 45 min. of driving. The fans are definitely coming on. When at idle, the temps will fall back down. When I drive is when the temps climb. I haven't driven it to the point where it rose all the way to hot. It has gone 75% to 80% though.

I'm puzzled. Any suggestions?
Old 07-31-2005, 11:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need help with overheating (tub_sephiroth)

Will the dealer do a overheating diagnotic on my car even though it's modified (turbo)?
Old 07-31-2005, 12:49 PM

Default Re: Need help with overheating (tub_sephiroth)

Hairline crack in the sleeve? I don't know.

Pull the rad cap off when it's cold and idle the car, see if the coolant bubbles.
Old 08-23-2005, 09:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need help with overheating (raene)

Some people don't bother to post how they fixed their problem. This is an update.

I'm such a dumbass! I never changed anything and all of a sudden, one day the car overheats. Found out that one fan was out. I should have known the problem would likely point to the fan. The other day, I found out I wired the fan the wrong way. Instead of pulling, it was pushing. That explains why the temps fall back down at idle put climbs on the freeway. The fan was pushing out the air that was pulling through the radiator. I'm such an idiot.

On a side note, I took my car in to the Acura dealership to diagnose my coolant problem and explained to them the situation. They call me back and said they had the car idling for 2 hrs straight and the temps climbed a little past half way but never overheated. Duh? I told them, it was fine at idle, only starts to overheat after 40 minutes of driving especially on the freeway. They explaination was that with the intercooler, turbo, manifold, downpipe, it's causing extreme extra heat and that it's only running a little hotter.

I go and pick up the car and my gas tank meter didn't move at all. If it was idling for 2 hrs, I would have lost a significant amount of gas. If they had diagnosed it properly, they would have found out that my fan was pushing instead of pulling. Fooking idiots at the stealership.
Old 08-23-2005, 10:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i did the same thing

cept the dealer ship thing

i noticed when i walked in front of my car and felt hot air on my legs lol
Old 07-20-2006, 08:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Sketch_hs)

A year later, and I finally found the problem. It was my radiator!!! I guess the oem one wasn't sufficient enough. The temps will start to climb after about 40 min. of continuous driving. Finally, one day after only about 15 min. of highway driving, my temps started to climb. After I parked the car, antifreeze was leaking from my the bottom of the radiator. Thank god, it wasn't the water pump. So in goes a brand new koyo radiator. I was holding off on the radiator the whole time even though I thought it could be the culprit, because of how huge the radiator is. I was afraid, it wouldn't fit with my a/c lines and slim fans. Amazing, I was able to fit everything with minor modifications. The slim fan on the driver side had to go in front of the condenser, though, cause it wouldn't fit.

Now the overheating problem is solved.
Old 07-21-2006, 07:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Sketch_hs)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sketch_hs &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i did the same thing

cept the dealer ship thing

i noticed when i walked in front of my car and felt hot air on my legs lol</TD></TR></TABLE>

yup i did the same thing ahaha
Old 07-21-2006, 07:40 AM

Run the fan full time and remove your thermostat.
Old 07-21-2006, 09:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (HYBRID FREAK)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HYBRID FREAK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Run the fan full time and remove your thermostat. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Problem is fixed. Fan is on full time and I don't think removing the thermostat is such a good idea.