Notices

Need Help Have Pictures Motor Assembly

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2005, 06:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help Have Pictures Motor Assembly

b18a1 b16a2 block and head respectively

i installed the dowels supplied with teh GE Vtec conversion kit into the block.

i installed my arp headstuds.

i placed the cometic lsvtec gasket i ordered onto the block, and realized the gasket wont fit over the dowels. You can see exactly what i'm doing in the pics, and I compared the size of the dowel to the hole in the gasket.

I also tried using the supplied headgasket (with the GE Vtec conversion kit) and the same problem. Am i putting the headgasket on wrong?

Old 05-27-2005, 06:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

correct me if im wrong, but i know the old kits use to be thinner on one end and thicker on the other slightly, and there was always a battle of which way they went in and which holes they into (front or back) i have personally never used them, but if you can flip the dowels over and put them in the other location
Old 05-27-2005, 06:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Need Help Have Pictures Motor Assembly (Si Shane)

call where you got it from.. looks like maybe they boxed it wrong .. or maybe they marked the (up) on the wrong side.. does it go on upside down?

hope you figure it out, good luck..
Old 05-27-2005, 06:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need Help Have Pictures Motor Assembly (konigturbocivic)

Put the dowels in the holes on the back side of the cylinders

If I remember correctly, the head gasket will fit right when you have the dowels in the correct locations.
Old 05-27-2005, 07:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need Help Have Pictures Motor Assembly (EJ1 wilcox)

maybe your supposed to put the head gasket down first then put the dowel's in
Old 05-27-2005, 07:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need Help Have Pictures Motor Assembly (EJ1 wilcox)

The dowel pin will go around the headstud and not the hole you have it going in. That is your problem.
Old 05-27-2005, 08:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need Help Have Pictures Motor Assembly (boostedej1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boostedej1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">maybe your supposed to put the head gasket down first then put the dowel's in</TD></TR></TABLE>

You can tell by the 4th picture that he is correct.

Put the head gasket down and then put the smaller end of the dowel then your head should slid right over.
Old 05-27-2005, 11:25 PM

Default Re: Need Help Have Pictures Motor Assembly (TurboLSVtecTeg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TurboLSVtecTeg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The dowel pin will go around the headstud and not the hole you have it going in. That is your problem.</TD></TR></TABLE>

is this true, can i order new dowels? I think the only way 'll be able to get then out it to drill them thin and then pull them out
Old 05-27-2005, 11:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

drill the gasket.

Maybe you got a b16 gasket instead of ls. Anyways it doesn't matter they are both different and I have seen this problem before. Most of the time the opening on the gasket is smaller than your dowel if this is the case get a dremel and make it bigger on the gasket leave the dowels alone

This should fix it and works
Old 05-27-2005, 11:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need Help Have Pictures Motor Assembly (POWERINTEGRA)

This is one little problem that might come alone when doing ls/vtec and I just told you a way to fix it
Old 05-28-2005, 01:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need Help Have Pictures Motor Assembly (POWERINTEGRA)

You have the dowel pin is in the wrong spot. Your also missing your oil orfices *spell check* that goes in the block.
Old 05-28-2005, 04:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the dowel pins come in the head on the backside of the block, one at the richt and the oder left.
Old 05-28-2005, 04:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need Help Have Pictures Motor Assembly (SlowReaction)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Si Shane &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

is this true, can i order new dowels? I think the only way 'll be able to get then out it to drill them thin and then pull them out</TD></TR></TABLE>

Im 100% that the dowel pins go around youre headstuds/head bolts(depending on which your running). This is why the headgasket has enlarged holes on either the intake or exhaust side(depending on the motor) on the outter most bolt holes. Look at the gasket you will see what i mean.

Old 05-28-2005, 05:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

my dowels are not around the ARP's they have thier own holes for thier purpose, I didn't do a conversion kit from GE but wish it was out when i built mine, but oh well. I had my Head dowel holes machined to fit the stock LS dowels in the Vtec head. Look at my picture, in the head are my dowels(i show only one in the only pictue i could fine sorry) and below is the block.

You can clearly see where the dowels are located under cylinders 1 and 4 my block is a B18B1. Also if you do not put the little aluminum <TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SlowReaction &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Your also missing your oil orfices *spell check* that goes in the block.</TD></TR></TABLE> if you don't put this little boy in your next problem will be(Why do I show no oil Pressure?)
Old 05-28-2005, 08:11 AM

Default Re: Need Help Have Pictures Motor Assembly (Redwidow)

Thanks for all the help!
Old 05-28-2005, 08:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

u gotta drill the headgasket out on the 2 holes where the dowles dont fit, it states that on several sites, i have done this countless times
Old 05-28-2005, 09:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

is it fixed?
Old 05-28-2005, 10:16 AM

i need to buy a large drillbit?? I think i'm gonna go run down to the machine shop and see if he can just do it on his drillpress real quick? I'll post up when i get back.
Old 05-28-2005, 01:15 PM

I'm buring through dremel bits, what kind should i use?
Old 05-28-2005, 02:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

im using the golden eagle dowl pins and they go over the outer exhaust side head studs. the oem LS dowels go in the same spot on the intake side though.
Old 05-28-2005, 05:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Redwidow &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

my dowels are not around the ARP's they have thier own holes for thier purpose, I didn't do a conversion kit from GE but wish it was out when i built mine, but oh well. I had my Head dowel holes machined to fit the stock LS dowels in the Vtec head. Look at my picture, in the head are my dowels(i show only one in the only pictue i could fine sorry) and below is the block.

You can clearly see where the dowels are located under cylinders 1 and 4 my block is a B18B1. Also if you do not put the little aluminum if you don't put this little boy in your next problem will be(Why do I show no oil Pressure?) </TD></TR></TABLE>

Hey dude your pistons are backwards if you didnt notice. The valve reliefs are on the wrong sides. Who the hell put your motor together?
Old 05-28-2005, 05:26 PM

Default Re: Need Help Have Pictures Motor Assembly (reaction360)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by reaction360 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Hey dude your pistons are backwards if you didnt notice. The valve reliefs are on the wrong sides. Who the hell put your motor together?</TD></TR></TABLE>

You are totally correct!

I bought a carbide cutting bit and got those holes the correct size. Everything lines up nice.
Old 05-28-2005, 06:33 PM

Ok, the head does not have holes where the dowels are. The instructions say to use the holes on the exhaust side of the block. Which i did.

Here are pictures of wher ethe dowel would go on the head, the head, and the block. The dowel would fit into the headstud holes for the two middle (excluding the very middle) headstuds, the holes are a slight bit larger than the others. They would accept the larger side of the dowel, and the head would accept the smaller. The only problem is the headstud is too large for the dowel to fit around.

Argh!!!!

But the headgasket fits over the dowel (as you can see i got one of the dowels out without damaging it too badly. The other one, well only time will tell)

Old 05-28-2005, 08:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need Help Have Pictures Motor Assembly (reaction360)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by reaction360 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Hey dude your pistons are backwards if you didnt notice. The valve reliefs are on the wrong sides. Who the hell put your motor together?</TD></TR></TABLE>Yes I noticed right after i took this pic you have a good eye... ...don't drink and assemble at least for me, and expect to put something together correctly..

So anyways...you got her done
Old 05-28-2005, 11:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You have the dowel pin in the wrong place as posted earlier. It goes on the exhaust side of the studs. Slide the down pin over your the two corner head studs.