need help converting to the dark side

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 09:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default need help converting to the dark side

If you haven't read my thread, my non vtec b20 build has just been....well its a train wreck, a train wreck carrying nuclear waste and hazardous chemicals which is about to crash into a truck full of matches and dynomite.

I am considering going over to the dark side of the force, it is a painful process to accept but given the set back after set back with the non vtec setup, continuing down this path is pointless. Im going to run the b20 up to the beginning of the summer most likely while i build this replacement motor.

It's going to be LSvtec, my old b18b is chilling out in my garage just waiting for an opportunity to redeem itself, as it was the first motor that saw my supercharger kit. So im going to be having that sent out to CNCwerx for the CSS sleeve support system, like their design, and so far their results have been fantastic in my opinion, and i think it will make a great addition to run a small turbo on this as originally intended.

The big question now piston and rod choice, target horsepower goal is 300-350 at the wheels. Which would have been fine for RSmachine pistons like I had put in my B20, however once again im presented with the issue of, they dont work for floating pin's, IE: aftermarket rods.

Derek from DDTECH has already secured my camshaft situation since this needs to peak under 8000rpm because of the automatic trans. Which I can push out to 8200 if need be.

Now I know i need a ge LSvtec kit, but is there any other very important things i should know about this? I dont plan to run a girdle, but I do plan to run the ARP main studs and have the block line honed for it. I had considered stroker crank for 92mm but that seems like a stretch given how tight my budget is. Although it would help with my demand of lower peak RPM thats for sure...
Old 03-05-2013, 10:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: need help converting to the dark side

I thought the new version of RSmachine pistons accepted aftermarket rods?
Old 03-05-2013, 10:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I cant seem to find any sort of new version anywhere.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I think pretty much everything you find now is the new version, I bought some 84mm's from Dopy888 on eBay 3 years ago and believe they were ok to use with aftermarket rods. Try looking up eagle rods and RS pistons. Seems to be a pretty popular combo.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Their 84mm pistons are floating pin i know that because i have them, but they specifically state that. Every 81-82mm rs machine, ycp, and nippon piston ive come across has been OEM press fit only, and getting a hold of RSMachines seems to be like pulling teeth.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nvm

Glad to See your still sticking with the auto trans though
Old 03-05-2013, 10:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Builda'Teg_92
Nvm

Glad to See your still sticking with the auto trans though
i wont be swapping that out until it blows into a million pieces lol which will likely be never, because i have all the misplaced faith in the world in it. I do fear however my b20 may be cursed.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

finally.. Fucken Vtec... yes.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

nippon racing made the b16 turbo pistons in 81 and 81.5 with floating pins,
i put a set in my friend car. The down side is they yield a very low compression. Loock for them on ebay as b16 pistons.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Id slap in a st of nippon turbo pistons and eagle rods if you arent planning on upping the power level in the future otherwise slap in eagles and CP's with upgraded wrist pins and call it a day. Good for 700hp and only limiting factor would be the rods.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Spawne32
Which would have been fine for RSmachine pistons like I had put in my B20, however once again im presented with the issue of, they dont work for floating pin's, IE: aftermarket rods.
Their 84mm pistons are floating pin i know that because i have them, but they specifically state that
im confused
Old 03-06-2013, 02:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

lol my YCP 84.5mm were press on, now im going 81.5 and i have the same problem. Although it does look like i can get the pistons i need, but odd ball compression choices.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did I read you're boosting a automatic?
What ECU can handle that?
Old 03-06-2013, 06:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by delsolintegra
Did I read you're boosting a automatic?
What ECU can handle that?
P75 obd1 ecu combined with the separate TCU that comes with OBD1 automatic integra's. This leaves trans control functions separate from the tuning program which overrides the original factory programming. The TCU is then modified physically with the hard parts on the board to fool the programming and cause the trans to shift at whatever desired RPM is needed.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Auto tragic!
Old 03-06-2013, 06:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by SiRCiviC94
Auto tragic!
this sounds vaguely familiar.
Old 03-07-2013, 05:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

P75 obd1 ecu combined with the separate TCU that comes with OBD1 automatic integra's. This leaves trans control functions separate from the tuning program which overrides the original factory programming. The TCU is then modified physically with the hard parts on the board to fool the programming and cause the trans to shift at whatever desired RPM is needed.
Is your plan than to "chip" the P75 for boost i.e. Air fuel ratios, timing, manifold pressure? Develop a base map for it (avoid lean conditions). Tweak it with datalogging so there would be a smooth transition thru rpm's, manifold pressure changes so the transmission could have a chance to respond smoothly thru shifts?

Sounds challenging. Maybe add a transmission fluid coolant line that fluid will be working!
Old 03-07-2013, 07:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Is your plan than to "chip" the P75 for boost i.e. Air fuel ratios, timing, manifold pressure? Develop a base map for it (avoid lean conditions). Tweak it with datalogging so there would be a smooth transition thru rpm's, manifold pressure changes so the transmission could have a chance to respond smoothly thru shifts?

Sounds challenging. Maybe add a transmission fluid coolant line that fluid will be working!
My ecu has been socketed with a moates demon running ectune for 2 years lol
Old 03-07-2013, 08:57 AM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Wait, so what you are telling me this is what tuning is!?!?! This whole time I thought it was just BS on a screen.

OP - Main studs are completely unnecessary. If you use stock rods, go with upgraded rod bolts to account for higher RPM. Stroking is a waste of money in my opinion. Pick a better turbo charger to accommodate your specific build. At 350whp you will be pushing any cast pistons. Obviously detonation will have to be watched with an EXTREMELY watchful eye/ears.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by N3va3vaSatisfi3d
Wait, so what you are telling me this is what tuning is!?!?! This whole time I thought it was just BS on a screen.

OP - Main studs are completely unnecessary. If you use stock rods, go with upgraded rod bolts to account for higher RPM. Stroking is a waste of money in my opinion. Pick a better turbo charger to accommodate your specific build. At 350whp you will be pushing any cast pistons. Obviously detonation will have to be watched with an EXTREMELY watchful eye/ears.
*cough* check the username *cough*