Notices

d16 Budget turbo build

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 12:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default d16 Budget turbo build

What's up guys I'm new to Honda tech and I'm only 17 trying to get into the Honda scene. I've been trying to do my research, but let me know with any suggestions or anything you disagree with. My goal is 200-220 hp on stock internals. As of right now I have the following :

New ebay piping and intercooler
New eBay BOV (I know will upgrade when I can)
270 Rc injectors (will upgrade)
AEM fuel rail
OBX Wastegate 44mm mm converted to 38 (trying to sell)
New Tial 38mm wastegate
Log manifold
New Speed factory 3 bar map
Auto meter boost, fuel and oil gauges and pillar mount
Aluminum radiator

I still need the following

Oil return lines
downpipe
Ecu and tune
Rising rate FPR
T3 turbo
Wideband

Let me know what you guys think and recommendations on parts thanks
Attached Images     

Last edited by Tempcivic; 03-06-2013 at 05:41 PM.
Old 03-06-2013, 03:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Here are some more pics, wrapped the gauges in the pods cause im ocd about scratches til install since there new haha. Any thoughts on what tuning software/hardware to use that is decent for a budget build?
Attached Images    
Old 03-06-2013, 03:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: d16 Budget turbo build

What are you planning on tuning it on?
Old 03-06-2013, 03:37 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

There should be no break in period. Where are you getting that from?

Why are you going with such ridiculously small injectors? Back up. What is your horsepower goal? I ask because that is THE FIRST THING you should have settled on. THEN the turbo to get you there and the upgraded fuel system to supply enough fuel. The EMS should be purchased with the thought in mind that it should be something your tuner is very familiar with.

Buying all this stuff without setting the power goal is going about this ***-backwards. NO EXPLANATION you provide for this out of order parts gathering will makes sense.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
There should be no break in period. Where are you getting that from?

Why are you going with such ridiculously small injectors? Back up. What is your horsepower goal? I ask because that is THE FIRST THING you should have settled on. THEN the turbo to get you there and the upgraded fuel system to supply enough fuel. The EMS should be purchased with the thought in mind that it should be something your tuner is very familiar with.

Buying all this stuff without setting the power goal is going about this ***-backwards. NO EXPLANATION you provide for this out of order parts gathering will makes sense.

I am looking for about 200-220 hp on a conservative street tune. I figured that was pretty realistic with stock internals? and the injectors I agree are dumb got them in a trade. With that being said, What turbo do you think is reasonable for that hp goal?
Old 03-06-2013, 04:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Emeraldbomber
What are you planning on tuning it on?
Im not totally sure, I almost scored a sweet deal on Hondata, but now im thinking crome possibly. And ecu wise probably going to buy virgin p28
Old 03-06-2013, 04:56 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Your injectors are too small, the fuel rail is unneccesary, and the 3 BAR MAP is COMPLETELY un-needed. There's absolutely zero reason to switch out your stock MAP unless you're running more than 12 PSI, and a stock D isn't going to take more than that from any worthwhile turbo - you will crack a sleeve or snap a rod. Running a larger MAP when you don't need it is actually detrimental.

You also completely forgot the most important piece: A wideband gauge. Without a wideband, just go ahead and kiss your motor good bye now.

As for turbo selection, Disco Potato or a 19T. That's all you need to worry about. I actually have a blown turbo that would be perfect for your car I could sell you, you'd just have to have it rebuilt.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jbpnoman
Your injectors are too small, the fuel rail is unneccesary, and the 3 BAR MAP is COMPLETELY un-needed. There's absolutely zero reason to switch out your stock MAP unless you're running more than 12 PSI, and a stock D isn't going to take more than that from any worthwhile turbo - you will crack a sleeve or snap a rod. Running a larger MAP when you don't need it is actually detrimental.

You also completely forgot the most important piece: A wideband gauge. Without a wideband, just go ahead and kiss your motor good bye now.

As for turbo selection, Disco Potato or a 19T. That's all you need to worry about. I actually have a blown turbo that would be perfect for your car I could sell you, you'd just have to have it rebuilt.

Had no idea about the map thanks for that, as for the fuel rail and injectors I agree, fuel rail is just a bling factor under atleast 10 psi. As for wide band goes you have a preferred brand that has worked well for you? AEM? And you think a Saab stock turbo and 440s could get me near 200 hp with stock internals ?
Old 03-06-2013, 05:13 PM
The Grumpiest

10PSI has nothing to do with the fuel rail. You'll run out of turbo before that stock rail becomes an issue.

Buy the EMS your tuner is comfortable with.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

10PSI has nothing to do with the fuel rail. You'll run out of turbo before that stock rail becomes an issue.

Buy the EMS your tuner is comfortable with.
Alright will do, Should I upgrade my ecu or unnecessary?
Old 03-06-2013, 05:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Alright just to clarify so I don't seem like a complete clown. Ive only spent $70 on this build the rest of the things were obtained by rigorous trading on craigslist and with friends hence the random obtaining of parts. But even with that said I really need to prioritize this build a little more.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:40 PM
The Grumpiest

I'm going to try and go easy on you because you're new and young on top of it but do you even know what you're asking? What do you mean upgrade your ECU? You need to get a real EMS like Hondata, Neptune, etc. This is non-negotiable.

Who is tuning the car? Have you picked out and talked to the tuner? If you don't know, the tune is THE most important aspect to a turbo build. You can have the baddest parts this side of God's green and with a crappy tune it will run like ****. Conversely, you can have the grimiest junkyard turbo setup and with the right tune be bulletproof and fly like a bat out of hell.

Research some more and put the parts buying on hold for a whle.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm going to try and go easy on you because you're new and young on top of it but do you even know what you're asking? What do you mean upgrade your ECU? You need to get a real EMS like Hondata, Neptune, etc. This is non-negotiable.

Who is tuning the car? Have you picked out and talked to the tuner? If you don't know, the tune is THE most important aspect to a turbo build. You can have the baddest parts this side of God's green and with a crappy tune it will run like ****. Conversely, you can have the grimiest junkyard turbo setup and with the right tune be bulletproof and fly like a bat out of hell.

Research some more and put the parts buying on hold for a whle.
I meant like purchase a virgin p28, but I agree I'm a noob I know ill take a thrashing on this site. But that fine with me as long as its educational for me. And yes I know the tune is extremely important but no I have not researched into tuners and I should. Thanks for the insight.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:50 PM
The Grumpiest

Don't get stuck on a P28. Any OBD1 ECU that can be chipped will work. CROME will work too BUT it's old and not updated any longer. Better stuff out there.

Locate a local tuner in your area with a good rep. Even if you have to drive a couple or a few hours to get there. Call them up and ask them as many questions as you can remember to write down. If anything seems shady like getting the "don't worry about it" answer to any of your questions or they don't put your mind at ease, go elsewhere.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The question should be.. Why turbo a D16 to begin with?

Just swap the engine with a B series.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by N3WP0RTZ

Wanted to do a turbo build. Ill eventually do a b swap im sure, just want to get the experience.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the only thing to make me love a Dseries is if that get a turbo kit
Old 03-06-2013, 06:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Don't get stuck on a P28. Any OBD1 ECU that can be chipped will work. CROME will work too BUT it's old and not updated any longer. Better stuff out there.

Locate a local tuner in your area with a good rep. Even if you have to drive a couple or a few hours to get there. Call them up and ask them as many questions as you can remember to write down. If anything seems shady like getting the "don't worry about it" answer to any of your questions or they don't put your mind at ease, go elsewhere.
Definitely will get on the tuner search and do my research. Thanks for the tips man
Old 03-06-2013, 06:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Tempcivic
Wanted to do a turbo build. Ill eventually do a b swap im sure, just want to get the experience.
Well no offense, but I don't think you have the money or knowledge to do it without it being a total waste of time.

A legit turbo set up can easily run between 2K up to 4k. You might as well use that money and get a B-series.

But it's up to you.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well no offense, but I don't think you have the money or knowledge to do it without it being a total waste of time.

A legit turbo set up can easily run between 2K up to 4k. You might as well use that money and get a B-series.

But it's up to you.
None taken, I am 17, but I work 2 jobs and im not dumb with my money. I am not running a 400 hp turbo kit just a moderate starting point build. I have a huge help from my brother who used to mess with Hondas him self and is now a master tech at BMW
Old 03-06-2013, 06:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

But it's up to you.
Just stop posting.

OP - You'll need to have your ECU socketed to it can be chipped. Hondata/Neptune installs are a little different I believe and those would be the two tuning solutions I would recommend. Talk to the tuners in your area you might be able to get away with an s100 or s200 for less money.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 94preludeguy
Just stop posting.

OP - You'll need to have your ECU socketed to it can be chipped. Hondata/Neptune installs are a little different I believe and those would be the two tuning solutions I would recommend. Talk to the tuners in your area you might be able to get away with an s100 or s200 for less money.
What kind of price ranges have you experienced for socketing?
Old 03-06-2013, 06:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 94preludeguy
Just stop posting.

Reason being? From a logical point of view a B series swap is a much better, versatile option then turbo D16.

But if he's doing it for a learning experience then I'm supportive but I'll still post my opinion regardless.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:20 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A B swap is better than a properly done turbo D? Seriously, put the crack pipe down, it's damaging your brain.

OP, you really need to find a tuner local to you and talk to them. Different tuning methods require different hardware - there isn't really a one size fits all solution. If you want to go the chipped P28 route, once you have all of your parts, call up Xenocron, tell them what you have, and they'll ship you a socketted ECU with a basemap chip that will be good to get you to the tuner.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Xenocron also will socket your current ECU for $75 and that includes a basemap.

Quick Reply: d16 Budget turbo build