Notices

NEED HELP ASAP (oil problems)

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 08:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEED HELP ASAP (oil problems)

I have a Benson sleeved and bored 2.0L Integra gsr. The bottom end has CP pistons with Eagle rods. It has ACL bearings and a Comtec headgasket. It also has a greddy turbo kit. Pushing 310whp at 12 psi.

The oil light came on in my car. I started to here a ticking that slowly got louder. I oulled over and had the car towed home. It was not a knock though. I did the oil pressure check and it was low. So I replaced the oil pump with an oem Type R pump. When took the oil pan off though i noticed copper metal shavings?????? The motor was rebuilt before I got it (5000 miles ago) so I figured that they may have been from the rebuild. I cleaned it out and put it all back together. Started it up and heard a slight tick at idle but a loud tick almost knock at anything over 2000 rpm's. After it heated up the oil light came on again. DAMN IT. I took it apart again and found that the oil pickup was really clogged so that might be what caused the oil problem and not the pump. I alos found more copper shavings and now silver specs. (bearing material) I went ahead and checked the rod bearings. One of the rod caps was BLACK. (heat). that bearing was shot. It was the farthest from the oil pump. The rod and crank journals were perfect though? That was the only rod bearing that was messed up. Questions????

1. Could the oil pick-up caused the oil pressure problem?
2. What could the copper shavings in the oil be?
3. Can I just replace the bearings with the same size (STD) and will it be ok. (of course I will plastiguage everything agin to be sure)?

THANK you very much for your time
-andrew
Old 04-04-2007, 08:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: NEED HELP ASAP (95gsr-t)

how's your headgasket? if it's sleeved and not decked or if the head wasn't resurfaced, the headgasket may not of sealed correctly which could lead to oil going into the coolant jacket and giving you low oil pressure.

also, if you rebuild, go with oem bearings and size them accordingly. With acl's they only come in 2 sizes for each engine and are looser clearances. are they the standard or race bearings? the knock could mean a spun bearing from incorrect tolerances...you might want to take them off your main caps and post pictures. I wouldn't run the engine again before you figure this out or you could, if not already, expletive up the crank...
Old 04-04-2007, 09:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: NEED HELP ASAP (CivicVX94)

The oil problem happened all of a sudden. I dont think that it would be the headgasket although it is possible. But the coolant has no oil in it. Also i will post pics of the main caps tomm. (its raining like a you know what right now) Also how do you use the color system with the oem bearings. i have eagle rods and a standard (non turned) crank. also they were not the race acl bearings. thanks
Old 04-04-2007, 12:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: NEED HELP ASAP (95gsr-t)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95gsr-t &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The oil problem happened all of a sudden. I dont think that it would be the headgasket although it is possible. But the coolant has no oil in it. Also i will post pics of the main caps tomm. (its raining like a you know what right now) Also how do you use the color system with the oem bearings. i have eagle rods and a standard (non turned) crank. also they were not the race acl bearings. thanks</TD></TR></TABLE>
**** man....the race bearings have very large oil clearances, which is good for race b/c you can more power, but for a street engine, smaller tolerences=reliability. sounds like you spun a bearing to me....
*edit* just read that thy were NOT the race bearings, oops
either way, it sounds like you spun a bearing and i'd still dissassemble it to check stuff out.

here's the best i can do with sizing, hope it helps

I'd replace your main and rod bearings with oem honda one's and hope to god you didn't score your crank up.
Post pictures after you take it apart.
Good luck man
Old 04-04-2007, 02:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: NEED HELP ASAP (CivicVX94)

The mains were fine. they look almost brand new. Same with three of the four rod bearings.

one wierd thing is that the rod that had the bad bearing (it didn't spin yet just hammered) was the rod cap was black! heat im guessing.