Notices

Need to choose a performance air filter that doesnt let ANY dirt in.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 04:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need to choose a performance air filter that doesnt let ANY dirt in.....

Need to choose a performance air filter that doesnt let ANY dirt in.....

Its a non honda turbo car. The K&N types look like they will let dirt in and you know they do......

If I use an element type I will use the biggest cone type I can find
since a smaller filter will pull more vacuum on the element with less surface area, or something like that or something like that or something like that.....

Any alternatives or good filtering filters out there?
Old 04-22-2007, 11:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Need to choose a performance air filter that doesnt let ANY dirt in..... (eightvalver)

Why would K&N let dirt in?
Old 04-22-2007, 11:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you would actually lose a psi or two if the filter is to big also some a pic of where the compressor is located in the car
Old 04-23-2007, 07:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (tony413)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tony413 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you would actually lose a psi or two if the filter is to big </TD></TR></TABLE>

ha ha
Old 04-23-2007, 07:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Need to choose a performance air filter that doesnt let ANY dirt in..... (eightvalver)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by eightvalver &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Need to choose a performance air filter that doesnt let ANY dirt in.....

Its a non honda turbo car. The K&N types look like they will let dirt in and you know they do......

since a smaller filter will pull more vacuum on the element with less surface area, or something like that or something like that or something like that.....

Any alternatives or good filtering filters out there?</TD></TR></TABLE>
K&N works fine. Geez i've never seen somebody freak out like this before over a filter.
Old 04-23-2007, 07:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (rorik)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rorik &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

ha ha</TD></TR></TABLE>

whats so funny here read my post an learn something
https://honda-tech.com/zero...age=3
Old 04-23-2007, 08:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I thought you were joking. And that was some funny ****, because there is no way you could "lose psi" by having Less of a flow restriction, ie a bigger filter, on the inlet side of the compressor.

You can calculate a flow restriction by measuring a loss in adiabatic efficiency, but that's definitely doing it the hard way. Just use a vacuum gauge. If a filter is causing a loss in adiabatic efficiency, as measured by increased compressor discharge temp, or as indicated by less than atmospheric press at the compressor inlet (with either test done correctly!), it's causing a flow restriction and is too small.
Here's what wrong with your scheme.

"now when you use a filter do this formula
PR= (boost + ambient) / ( ambient - 1 )"

A correctly sized filter will not change the equation! They're doing a rough compensation for a pressure drop across an oem style filter setup.

Forget the math and just think about it.
Old 04-23-2007, 09:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no the -1 is for a general loss by a filter not the stock filter persay but theres many different ways to test this there just no point really if you not in the big HP range also you need to use all the math in my set-up to get the big picture . always remember that the filter is a restrictive decide design for protection. the amount of how restrictive it actually is depends on elavation, size, and sometimes placement
Old 04-23-2007, 10:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

http://www.aempower.com

dryflow
Old 04-23-2007, 10:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tony413 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">no the -1 is for a general loss by a filter not the stock filter persay but theres many different ways to test this there just no point really if you not in the big HP range also you need to use all the math in my set-up to get the big picture . always remember that the filter is a restrictive decide design for protection. the amount of how restrictive it actually is depends on elavation, size, and sometimes placement </TD></TR></TABLE>

to a point just about every little thing on your car will make a tiny bit of a difference. a difference you'll never be able to prove except in theory. overzied filter will not hurt anything in real life and will extend cleaining intervals because of larger filtering area.

i know for fact that everything after compressor wil play a larger role on how much hp you're gonna end up making PER PSI.. before compressor, just make sure your fitler is clean and flows enogh CFM.. you gotta prove with an example not just theories. i went to oversized filter on my latest setup. i make 30 more whp at same psi and not due to larger fitler but due to larger piping intercooler and exhaust.
this is almost like that argument of transient hp that will go back/forth with no real data

Old 04-24-2007, 10:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (vtec.dc2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vtec.dc2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

to a point just about every little thing on your car will make a tiny bit of a difference. a difference you'll never be able to prove except in theory. overzied filter will not hurt anything in real life and will extend cleaining intervals because of larger filtering area.

i know for fact that everything after compressor wil play a larger role on how much hp you're gonna end up making PER PSI.. before compressor, just make sure your fitler is clean and flows enogh CFM.. you gotta prove with an example not just theories. i went to oversized filter on my latest setup. i make 30 more whp at same psi and not due to larger fitler but due to larger piping intercooler and exhaust.
this is almost like that argument of transient hp that will go back/forth with no real data

</TD></TR></TABLE>

my honest opinion is dont ran a filter but if you live in bad road areas then yes. like i said from the beginning its only a layer of compressor wheel protection
Old 04-25-2007, 06:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I went from 329whp to 349whp at 10psi on a gt3076r by switching from a screen over the compressor to a 4inch intake w/ 4inch k&n filter.
Old 04-25-2007, 06:58 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tony413 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

my honest opinion is dont ran a filter but if you live in bad road areas then yes. like i said from the beginning its only a layer of compressor wheel protection </TD></TR></TABLE>

its ultimatly a layer of engine internal protection, you get a grain of sand in your cylinder, it can make your walls look real pretty...
Old 04-25-2007, 08:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: (RudeLude)

One reason a filter makes more power over a screen is due to the velocity stack effect it has, not just the increased area.

I simply can't see a reason an oversized filter will reduce power, assuming you keep the same size intake tube between the filter and turbo (and the turbo is operating efficiently). More resttriction leads to more pressure drop, and at a certain size a filter will start to restrict. A restriction on the intake that creates a pressure drop will lower the 'ambient' pressure the compressor blades take from.

It won't reduce overall PSI, it will increase the effective PR you are running. Comp maps are based on PR, not absolute pressure. The only time you may see more power with a small, more restrictive filter is when you're running a big T04S at 6psi, WAY below its most efficient PR, and the restriction on the intake may increase the PR to a more efficient 'island' (while still at 6psi).
Old 04-25-2007, 08:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tony413 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you would actually lose a psi or two if the filter is to big</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's almost as dumb as when you told somebody to go with a B16 over a B17 because the B16 has better aftermarket parts, and not all B-series parts would bolt onto the B17.
Old 04-25-2007, 09:41 AM

Default Re: (tokes1320)

tony413 is like the poser tony1 but doesnt actually have correct information. A lot of his posts dont make any sense.
Old 04-25-2007, 02:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah, I've read a lot of his posts. He really needs to learn more, or just stop posting on here. And he needs to stop putting that stupid smiley face after whatever garbage he writes, as if he knows something we don't.
Old 04-25-2007, 06:37 PM

hahahahaha
Old 04-25-2007, 08:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bamf3000 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">tony413 is like the poser tony1 but doesnt actually have correct information. A lot of his posts dont make any sense.</TD></TR></TABLE>

not all of my post make sense but MOST of them do lets see some of the good info that you have posted ????????????

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rorik &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeah, I've read a lot of his posts. He really needs to learn more, or just stop posting on here. And he needs to stop putting that stupid smiley face after whatever garbage he writes, as if he knows something we don't.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i agree i do need to learn more as do the other 97% of the people on this forum so im good we both know something . im not a rude guy or try to be an *** to anyone so that why the smilely is there i dont like flamming im not a homosexual sry also how was my post garbage do the math if you can and see where the loss occurs. oh an prove me wrong, i forgot to add that in there HAVE A NICE DAY
Old 04-26-2007, 02:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Here, I'll post some helpful info to the original poster, and anyone else that wants to use it. http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/...1.htm
Old 04-27-2007, 11:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tony413 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

how was my post garbage do the math if you can and see where the loss occurs. oh an prove me wrong, i forgot to add that in there HAVE A NICE DAY </TD></TR></TABLE>

I already told you EXACTLY what was wrong with your formula. What the F more do you want? if your intuition tells you to accept a formula that says that having a reduced flow restriction can "cost psi", you need to get another hobby. Stop posting on honda-tech, step away from the vehicle, it's just not your thing.
Old 04-27-2007, 11:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

To the original poster, maybe check out using something from an oem application that has to flow a lot of air, like a diesel pickup truck.
Old 04-27-2007, 12:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by eightvalver &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Need to choose a performance air filter that doesnt let ANY dirt in.....

Any alternatives or good filtering filters out there?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Why do you car if it lets dirt in? The sharp spining wheel on your turbo will just chop it up