Notices

Need boost solenoid information

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 09:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need boost solenoid information

I remember seeing a thread about this a while back but I can't find it through the search.

Basically, I am trying to get PWM boost control working with Neptune RTP and I need to know some information about this boost solenoid:

It is a 3 way valve made by Ingersoll-Rand. Is it like the GM solenoid? I need to know the frequency at which it operates.
Old 03-28-2008, 10:42 AM

Default Re: Need boost solenoid information (Dartanian)

i think that is the same solenoid that the world electronics boost controller uses. See if you can get some info from them. It doesnt look like a gm to me.
Old 03-28-2008, 08:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need boost solenoid information (vtecmann)

After searching a little further, it is identical to the Perrin one. I still can't find anywhere at which frequency it operates. Any help?
Old 03-28-2008, 09:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dartanian &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">After searching a little further, it is identical to the Perrin one. I still can't find anywhere at which frequency it operates. Any help?</TD></TR></TABLE>

http://www.hrtuning.com has a list of the frequencies, try visiting the website for your Neptune related questions, they will be answered normally within the hour.
Old 03-28-2008, 11:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

31hz i believe
Old 03-29-2008, 08:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need boost solenoid information (96 GSR-T)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 96 GSR-T &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

http://www.hrtuning.com has a list of the frequencies, try visiting the website for your Neptune related questions, they will be answered normally within the hour.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks. I found where someone mentioned the frequencies of several different solenoids but the perrin one was unconfirmed at 31 Hz. Now my next question is what happens when it isn't run at the proper frequency?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SOHC_MShue &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">31hz i believe</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm going to run with that. I have everything hooked up and am in the process of configuring PWM within Neptune. Is there any way to test to see that the solenoid is functioning properly?
Old 03-29-2008, 08:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

could u use a small amount of compressed air, then activate the soleniod and see if it goes threw?Just throwing it out there.
Old 03-29-2008, 08:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It will still function with the wrong frequency, but obviously that will lower resolution and could make it less repeatable. I do believe it's 31hz for that unit.
Old 03-29-2008, 08:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need boost solenoid information (93supercoupe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93supercoupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">could u use a small amount of compressed air, then activate the soleniod and see if it goes threw?Just throwing it out there.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'll try that. Thanks.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HRTuning &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It will still function with the wrong frequency, but obviously that will lower resolution and could make it less repeatable. I do believe it's 31hz for that unit.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks for your input. 31Hz it is, then.
Old 03-29-2008, 10:37 AM
official honda whore

where did you get that unit? i am looking around trying to find a good cheap alternative that i can use when i get my car tuned on neptune and i dont want to spend 100 dollars on it... i wonder if i can get that part from my local ingersoll-plant... hmm
Old 03-29-2008, 11:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dartanian &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

It is a 3 way valve made by Ingersoll-Rand. Is it like the GM solenoid? I need to know the frequency at which it operates.</TD></TR></TABLE>

It is a three way solenoid made by Humphrey, repackaged by 1001 people from IR to Perrin to Parker.

You can determine the duty cycle without all of the "I thinks." 31 Hz is what everyone runs on the AEM/ECT/MAC units, and the coil in that valve is not a MAC, and I . It's pretty easy to cycle it at X frequency and determine optimum resolution by blowing through it at a variety of duty cycles. If the valve opens up and flows suddenly with a very narrow window of operation, change the duty. Same thing if the wiring gets hot.
Old 03-29-2008, 02:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need boost solenoid information (EARLdaSQUIRREL)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EARLdaSQUIRREL &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">where did you get that unit? i am looking around trying to find a good cheap alternative that i can use when i get my car tuned on neptune and i dont want to spend 100 dollars on it... i wonder if i can get that part from my local ingersoll-plant... hmm</TD></TR></TABLE>

I know Full-Blown sells the MAC units for alot cheaper than AEM does, check out their site.
Old 03-30-2008, 06:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need boost solenoid information (EARLdaSQUIRREL)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EARLdaSQUIRREL &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">where did you get that unit? i am looking around trying to find a good cheap alternative that i can use when i get my car tuned on neptune and i dont want to spend 100 dollars on it... i wonder if i can get that part from my local ingersoll-plant... hmm</TD></TR></TABLE>

I work at Flyin Miata and we sell them. We mark them up a substantial amount, so I am sure you can find them elsewhere for much cheaper.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Joseph Davis &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

It is a three way solenoid made by Humphrey, repackaged by 1001 people from IR to Perrin to Parker.

You can determine the duty cycle without all of the "I thinks." 31 Hz is what everyone runs on the AEM/ECT/MAC units, and the coil in that valve is not a MAC, and I . It's pretty easy to cycle it at X frequency and determine optimum resolution by blowing through it at a variety of duty cycles. If the valve opens up and flows suddenly with a very narrow window of operation, change the duty. Same thing if the wiring gets hot. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Alright, good information. I think I am starting to grasp this concept. Thanks.
Old 03-30-2008, 10:47 AM

http://airinc.thomasnet.com/it...o=110

The unit is a 310 12v. I don't know why the operating frequency is not listed in the pdf though.
Old 03-30-2008, 10:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need boost solenoid information (vtecmann)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vtecmann &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">http://airinc.thomasnet.com/it...o=110

The unit is a 310 12v. I don't know why the operating frequency is not listed in the pdf though.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's the one. Thanks for the link.

I have been searching extensively and have yet to find a site that lists the frequency.