Notices

Need Advice. Ign bypass+ Digital ignition vs hondata CPR

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 04:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Advice. Ign bypass+ Digital ignition vs hondata CPR

Hi all. I would like to know how does the Hondata CPR compare to the TurboLS/2k.civic.si/crazystar icm bypass + a mallory hyfire and ps92 coil? Anyone with experience or general actual knowledge please chime in. Trying to decide which way to go for a friends car. Which is going to provide the most spark energy under boost? Has anyone tried both and is more satisfied with one setup over the other? Thanks all for looking.
Old 09-18-2012, 05:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need Advice. Ign bypass+ Digital ignition vs hondata CPR

Been running my summit box and bypass with crane coil for years. Works great !! Went from a .020 plug gap on stock ignition to a .033 gap and picked up a good amount of lower end torque from the multiple spark. The COP will be great but cost more and not nessesary. When i went from 17-22 psi i had to gap them down to .030 but I'm also at the limit of the bk7 plugs for hp and I believe a colder plug i can open them back up.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:00 PM
Moderator in Chief

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This would be a good time to post some info about it...
Old 09-18-2012, 06:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What info would you care to know about Muckman ?

Its a summit Digital CDI box - sum850610 100mj spark energy
Crane PS92 Coil - CRN-730-0192 is the coil I personally run
there is also this crane coil PS92 - CRN-730-0092
The bypass box - you can make your own or several people build and sell them.

When switched from pump gas to race gas on the higher boost the plug gaps at .033 were fine but with pump that boost level required .030. the car is 450whp running about 18 degrees at 22 psi boost on pump gas and 22-23 degrees on race gas. not much of a HP increase due to the turbo being maxed out. Anything else you wish to know just ask.

the new turbo along with E85 and id2000's should yeild bette numbers and take more advantage of the ignition system. No hiccups in the ignition otherwise. rock solid. I recommend this setup to everyone on a budget. Not everyone can afford an M&W and this system does well. MSD is crap IMO. Stock ignition WILL make 600hp but it just doesn't hold up and wears out quickly at those levels. There are a few exceptions to the rule but that doesn't speak for the masses. Im sure people will come in here an defend stock ignitions too LOL
Old 09-18-2012, 06:41 PM
Moderator in Chief

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Id like to know more about the ICM bypass. How its done etc.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I didnt design the circuit but I build them. 2k.civic.si will prob chime in that he made a better circuit and is cheaper than i am but whatever. I dont mind competition and im not trying to get rich just offer an affordable product to help out people with ignition issues.

Mine is in a compact black plastic box. Comes with a 4 pin deutsch connector and pigtail, complete instructions and a pretty weather proof build of the circuit. I dont want to give away to much because then others will start doing the same things etc.. you know how that goes. If you want more info PM me. I also dont want my post deleted because im not a vendor so just giving info not trying to sell anything here

Old 09-18-2012, 07:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank you for your comment TurboLS. I know you and The Shodan have used the summit boxes so I know you know what you're talking about. I value what you've done and your opinion. Now to anyone running the Hondata CPR setup, please chime in. I guess I'm asking you if you're satisfied with the ign setup. My friend is looking to run about 22-24 psi on a dart6on sleeved gsr with pte5858

Also, when you say " The COP will be great but cost more and not nessesary!" I don't really get what you mean. The level we've gone to with these cars, a lot of people would spend the extra dollar if they felt it was a good upgrade to the ign system.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This system will be plenty of spark energy for that setup IMO. The COP would be a cleaner install and take less space
Old 09-18-2012, 08:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

cpr
Old 09-18-2012, 09:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm running the same ignition. Works great. Have yet to have a single misfire.
Old 09-19-2012, 01:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Turbo-LS
I didnt design the circuit but I build them.
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n...s/1cd761ad.jpg
Is this the same circuit shown in pgmfi ?

Old 09-19-2012, 05:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes that is the circuit ef92b

Shanebadoo - I just dont feel its nessesary to spend that kind of money on the CPR system when this will work just fine. thats just my opinion though. I dont like to waste money personally. i think the coil on plug thing is for high high hp setups where people are running 35+ pounds of boost. I dont erxactly know the limitations of this setup but i know so far i've pushed it to 23 psi and no issues and still good plug gaps.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:10 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo-LS
Yes that is the circuit ef92b

Shanebadoo - I just dont feel its nessesary to spend that kind of money on the CPR system when this will work just fine. thats just my opinion though. I dont like to waste money personally. i think the coil on plug thing is for high high hp setups where people are running 35+ pounds of boost. I dont erxactly know the limitations of this setup but i know so far i've pushed it to 23 psi and no issues and still good plug gaps.
I tend to agree here. If you're doing serious boost pressures on a large turbo on a dedicated track car where that spark is of the essence to win, then I can see the justification for the CPR or COP system on a B-series. But for the road race guy that has to put money in other places to make the car complete, relatively lower boost pressure levels under 30psi for smaller turbochargers, and beats the crap out of it where they don't have to try and source a rare part should something go wrong, a good Mallory/external coil/ignitor bypass will do the trick; it will last longer than the stock distributor for repeated results, and at the same time won't cost the same as an M&W or CPR, easily replaceable, and can be placed in a variety of spots within the car (both engine bay and /or cabin) to keep a clean look.