Notices

NA JUN3 setup......turbo???

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2003, 07:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NA JUN3 setup......turbo???

Im currently running an NA setup on my 96HB that consists of a b16a2 with the JUN type3 setup along with a Hondata ecu and all of your basic bolt ons. The car is very quick but I have been flirting with the idea of getting a small turbo kit(greddy). I don't believe that my cams are ideal for a turbo but what the hell do I know...... My ecu could easily be upgraded...How would the car react to a turbo kit if I left it as-is? Would I be better off puting my stock cams back in? What do you all think? THANKS
<-- Turbonium neeewb
Old 03-27-2003, 07:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: NA JUN3 setup......turbo??? (jdmcivicek)

Turbo Gurus help this kid, all of his friends in the surrounding area have bought and installed turbo kits and his N/A screamer must continue to dominate.
Old 03-27-2003, 07:33 PM

Default Re: NA JUN3 setup......turbo??? (Accord94DX)

what CR are you running?? Sell the cams and buy a nice set of GS-R cams for cheap.
Old 03-27-2003, 07:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: NA JUN3 setup......turbo??? (IMPULSE B18C-T)

Stock compression ratio. I have a set of B16a2 cams laying around. Would I only replace the cams? I dunno how the valve springs would react to stock camshafts.
Old 03-27-2003, 07:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the cams are waaaaaaay to aggressive. it wont be good for a turbo set up. your better off with your stock b16 cams. your valve springs might be to stiff, but im dont know. i also think you would have to upgrade your hondata to the boost option.

why dont you just stick with NA and get extra parts? better intake manifold, tuning, cam gears, higher compression......etc?
Old 03-27-2003, 07:49 PM

Default Re: NA JUN3 setup......turbo??? (wickedxboi)

the cams are waaaaaaay to aggressive. it wont be good for a turbo set up. your better off with your stock b16 cams. your valve springs might be to stiff, but im dont know. i also think you would have to upgrade your hondata to the boost option.

why dont you just stick with NA and get extra parts? better intake manifold, tuning, cam gears, higher compression......etc?
THank god someone posted technical data instead of soem bullshit they read on the net
Old 03-27-2003, 07:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I already have everything you listed except for higher compression.
Old 03-28-2003, 07:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The problem you will run into with cams like the Type 3 on boost (unless you plan for 14,000+ RPM usage) is the hugh amount of cam overlap intended for NA applications. Under boost, the overlap would most likely kill your exhaust velocity entering the turbo, thus reducing performance and efficiency. The valve springs will be fine with a different set of cams, but try to ditch the Type 3 setup and use the money toward your turbo project when you decide to add turbo.

Good Luck with your future changes!

Devin

[Modified by Payntech, 11:34 AM 3/28/2003]
Old 03-28-2003, 08:14 AM

Default Re: NA JUN3 setup......turbo??? (Payntech)

The problem you will run into with cams like the Type 3 on boost (unless you plan for 14,000+ RPM usage) is the hugh amount of cam overlap intended for NA applications. Under boost, the overlap would most likely kill your exhaust velocity entering the turbo, thus reducing performance and efficiency. The valve springs will be fine with a different set of cams, but try to ditch the Type 3 setup and use the money toward your turbo project when you decide to add turbo.
Old 03-28-2003, 08:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: NA JUN3 setup......turbo??? (UberTeg)

yup...what he said
Old 03-28-2003, 08:49 AM
New User

i would sell the jun 3's, put in your b16 cams, keep the springs and retainers(retaining a 9000 rpm rev limit), get a rev hard turbo kit, keep the hondata, get 440-550 injectors, and tune it for about 300 to the wheels on pump gas.
Old 03-28-2003, 04:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: NA JUN3 setup......turbo??? (Payntech)

Good Luck with your future changes!

Devin

[Modified by Payntech, 11:34 AM 3/28/2003]
Hey thanks for your reply Devin. How have things been going for ya in MI?
BTW I was thinking about trading my volks for a turbo kit so I wouldn't need to sell all my JUN stuff to be able to afford turbonium. So would the car work well with a small turbo kit if I just replaced the JUN camshfts with stock ones?

[Modified by jdmcivicek, 7:10 PM 3/28/2003]
Old 03-28-2003, 05:44 PM

Yup those cams are just a little large...the intake charge would blow right out the exhaust valves. I would sell the JUN 3's and get some GSR cams. Those are about the best stock honda cam for boost. And they ae cheap, like 100 bucks at most. Assuming the comp is under 10.5 (i just skipped to the end to post) then all the other stuff will work great for boost.

Brett
Old 03-28-2003, 05:53 PM
Night_Minx

hey mark i have a bench grinder at my house, well actually i have 2. So it would only take us about 10 minutes to grind those suckers down.

anyway, too much overlap, sell them.

Remember who told you to boost in the first place??????????
Old 03-29-2003, 10:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: NA JUN3 setup......turbo??? (Night_Minx)

OK so if I throw in some gsr camshafts and upgrade my hondata for turbo, everything would be all good? Anything else I would need?