Notices

N20 Question on Prepping Engine. What engine management?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2006, 09:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default N20 Question on Prepping Engine. What engine management?

Hello All!

Well i don't know if anyone know me but i've been around for quite a while just don't post much anymore since my cars keep mysteriously dissappearing.

Well anyways i got my transmission troubles fixed now on my 1991 Honda Accord LX.

Now i just purchased a Complete NX Kit from my buddy from $75 bucks. he had it installed in a POS chevy cavalier and it was all rigged up(don't even ask me how bad, use your imagination lol and he drove it around for 1 week till the block finnally let loose. So i now have a complete kit for my honda accord.
All my other Civic,s and CRX's i've owned i always use custom turbo kits and never actually used nitrous but i know pretty much all i need to know. My question is this. is their an engine management system that is fairly cheap? What engine management such as Chrome and uberdata and all the others i have used on my Civics and Rex's is available.

I don't want to spend too much money on my daily beater but this nitrous will just be something fun to mess wit till i find another Rex to Boost. plus i wanna be able to switch it to stock when i sell it. Nitrous is the way to go in my case right now.

1) Can my factory ECU be chipped to run Chrome or one of the other free engine management systems?
2) Will this mated with my 450cc injectors be enough for a 75 shot(only jets included)
3)Which system is my best option for Nitrous?
4) What are my expected performance gains on a F22?
5) it's an AUTO!!! but still fun to drive
6)what should i do to prep my engine for turbo(timing,plugs,etc)?

Thanks for all your help!

Old 01-12-2006, 09:29 AM

Default Re: N20 Question on Prepping Engine. What engine management? (Brain3208)

I don't use N2O, but I know that timing has to be pulled/can't be advanced. I don't think uberdata has any kind of N2O support. You could set it up to retard timing at certain RPMs and vacuum levels, but that would probably hurt you when you're not spraying.
Old 01-12-2006, 10:22 AM

Default Re: N20 Question on Prepping Engine. What engine management? (Everyones Hero)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Everyones Hero &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I don't use N2O, but I know that timing has to be pulled/can't be advanced. I don't think uberdata has any kind of N2O support. You could set it up to retard timing at certain RPMs and vacuum levels, but that would probably hurt you when you're not spraying.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Anyone suggest a good engine management to use on my daily driver. i'm only lookin for something to make the drive to work more fun. Will Chrome work for nitrous apps?
Old 01-12-2006, 10:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: N20 Question on Prepping Engine. What engine management? (Brain3208)

you dont need anything even close to 450's. Stockers will work fine.
Something as simple as an afc or vafc will work for what you need. Then just get something to retard the timing when spray is activated.
It doesnt take alot to make nitrous work well
Old 01-12-2006, 11:49 AM

Default Re: N20 Question on Prepping Engine. What engine management? (PM-Performance)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PM-Performance &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you dont need anything even close to 450's. Stockers will work fine.
Something as simple as an afc or vafc will work for what you need. Then just get something to retard the timing when spray is activated.
It doesnt take alot to make nitrous work well </TD></TR></TABLE>

I mainly plan on using the 450's anyhow just to give me the extra tunablility if i need it. So i'm guessing Chrome does not support N20? What do all the budget daily driven N20 guys run for added fuel/timing retard? Aside from hondata cause it's just way to much cash for my daily driver right now.

will i need an adjustable FPR if i am gonna use the AFC with the 450s'? Dont the AFC hack retard the timing anyway when using 450's and your NOT under boost? at least that is what i always understood when boosting my Z6 in my Rex.
So if that is the case would that be sufficient for when i am spraying?
Old 01-12-2006, 11:53 AM

You could manually retard the timing by using the dizzy, but that would make the timing retarded all the time.

If you chip your ECU with uberdata you can retard the timing at X rpm and X vacuum, say for instance you are only going to spray from 4k-7krpm @ WOT.

In that case you would set your map to go a little rich from 4k-7krpm at 0 vacuum while your 1k-3,999rpm was still at the stock setting, making it act normal under regular driving.

In other words: I'm sure it's 100% possible with uberdata, it'll just take some time to figure it out and set it up.
Old 01-12-2006, 11:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

have fun . IMO I would save the money on the injectors. Seriously. You wont need them. For a wet kit, just get a fuel pump and an afc and have fun. You really dont even need that, but just for more safety.
You can run that set up on a stock car safely.
Old 01-12-2006, 12:24 PM

Default Re: N20 Question on Prepping Engine. What engine management? (PM-Performance)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PM-Performance &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">have fun . IMO I would save the money on the injectors. Seriously. You wont need them. For a wet kit, just get a fuel pump and an afc and have fun. You really dont even need that, but just for more safety.
You can run that set up on a stock car safely. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Already have the 450's from my one of my older setups. Can i chip the Accord Ecu or should i be lookin for something else? i already have a socketed P06 From an EX with a Z6 Turbo Basemap from one of my old cars but i seriously doubt that will run the accord without some kind of adapter harness. what should i start shopping for in terms of getting the ECU chipped? Sorry if these questions seem stupid but i just don't know much about accord ECU's compared to a PM6 or P06 on all my other cars.

I drive my car at most 30min to work in the morning and after work 30 minutes back home. not much else driving so i don't wanna prep this car for boost(as much as i've though about it i can't bring myself to boost this boat) , nitrous should make my drive a little more fun.

Thanks for the help
Old 01-12-2006, 12:31 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Brain3208 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Already have the 450's from my one of my older setups. Can i chip the Accord Ecu or should i be lookin for something else? i already have a socketed P06 From an EX with a Z6 Turbo Basemap from one of my old cars but i seriously doubt that will run the accord without some kind of adapter harness. what should i start shopping for in terms of getting the ECU chipped? Sorry if these questions seem stupid but i just don't know much about accord ECU's compared to a PM6 or P06 on all my other cars.

I drive my car at most 30min to work in the morning and after work 30 minutes back home. not much else driving so i don't wanna prep this car for boost(as much as i've though about it i can't bring myself to boost this boat) , nitrous should make my drive a little more fun.

Thanks for the help</TD></TR></TABLE>

That chipped ECU is perfect.

Get a conversion harness and convert the car to OBD-I and burn a .bin that's setup for your motor.
Old 01-12-2006, 12:53 PM

Default Re: N20 Question on Prepping Engine. What engine management? (Everyones Hero)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Everyones Hero &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

That chipped ECU is perfect.

Get a conversion harness and convert the car to OBD-I and burn a .bin that's setup for your motor.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I already have the dizzy and ECU, Injectors and the N20 Kit i just got today so i'm almost Set. Just gotta find a good priced Adapter harness for my Dizzy and ECU. Should i install the Kit now or wait on the fuel setup? i mean how unsafe is nitrous without Fuel managment? I never once been in a car that had N20.

Brain
Old 01-12-2006, 01:02 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Brain3208 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I already have the dizzy and ECU, Injectors and the N20 Kit i just got today so i'm almost Set. Just gotta find a good priced Adapter harness for my Dizzy and ECU. Should i install the Kit now or wait on the fuel setup? i mean how unsafe is nitrous without Fuel managment? I never once been in a car that had N20.

Brain</TD></TR></TABLE>

Depends on if you can stand to not use it until you get your fuel management setup.

I'd install it to save the time, but I wouldn't use it until I had my FM setup.

If you're like most and get itchy fingers or feet or whatever you're using to activate it I'd wait until you got everything setup.
Old 01-12-2006, 02:04 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Everyones Hero &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Depends on if you can stand to not use it until you get your fuel management setup.

I'd install it to save the time, but I wouldn't use it until I had my FM setup.

If you're like most and get itchy fingers or feet or whatever you're using to activate it I'd wait until you got everything setup.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sigh.......Guess it's gotta Stay out then. Oh well. Better hold off on orderin switches till i got everything else. Stay Tuned cause this will be my first nitrous install and experience, it'll be fun, hopefully don't blow my beater up.

Brain
Old 01-12-2006, 05:28 PM

Uberdata has a nitrous script on the forums. http://uberdata.pgmfi.org/forum
Old 01-12-2006, 05:39 PM

will a P06 still control the tranny correctly? he said it was an auto car. just curious. I don't know much about honda's quite yet.
Old 01-12-2006, 05:57 PM

Default Re: (GA-AutoFab)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GA-AutoFab &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">will a P06 still control the tranny correctly? he said it was an auto car. just curious. I don't know much about honda's quite yet.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Transmission is controlled by a separate ECM which was the culprit when my tranny would not shift. I will check the code on the ECU tommor at work and see if it can be chipped.

Brain
Old 01-12-2006, 08:07 PM

If you want cheap then go with a jacobs mastermind for the nitrous control. Its like $225. You dont need to tune that nitrous though. NX makes the kit plenty safe for a stockish motor, so unless your running a wild set of cams or something youll be fine.
Old 01-13-2006, 01:04 PM

Default Re: (NXLude)

Hoped on over to PGMFI to see what i could dig up on my ECU...Turn out my PT3 ECU cannot be chipped and is basically useless. But also found out that my old P06 ECU from my old Turbo Z6 setup will work fine for what i'm tryin to do. i gotta make a base map that will go into the P06 and will have ignition/fuel tables for the F22......i'm not lookin forward to this but i gotta do what i gotta do to make my car fun to drive.

Brain
Old 01-14-2006, 07:35 AM

Default Re: (Brain3208)

Ok...It's Official....I'm THICKHEADED, Gonna beinstalling the nitrous setup today. just ran over to Radio shack to pick up a few switches and relays, little bit of shrink tubing and some wire. this should be fun. Gonna install a few Fuel Kills also to try and avoid having THIS car dissapear just like the rest of my cars. My chipped P06 Seems to be running the car ok in spite of the CEL, seems like it's running a bit on the rich side. i'm waiting on my F22 program to pop into the ECU so hopefully i don't blow this engine up.
Wish me luck all!
Brain
Old 01-15-2006, 04:10 PM

Ok I installed the complete setup i have in spite of not having the added fuel. it took me a good 4 hours or so to get everything installed and mounted to look clean as i could. i'm happy with the way the install went but i was kinda unhappy when i actually tried to spray. the car didn't see much of a gain at all. not enough for me to actually consider using it for my beater. I'm gonna wait on my F22 basemap into my P06 Before i try to give it another shot. i don't wanna kill this engine just yet since it is my daily driver.

Also i think i may have something hooked up wrong. my nitrous setup has a single nozzle but 2 solonoids that both join in the center.....on one end i have the nitrous going in...the other side has a vaccum fitting on it. i was assuming this goes to my fuel rail. should i "t" off my fuel line and run it to the other soloniod or is this only used for different setups. i plan on using my P06 with 450cc fuel injectors to control the nitrous but what should i do for now. i also thought that the fuel was supposed to mix in the center of the 2 valves but what happens to the fuel pressure when both valves are open? Am i doing somthing wrong here?

Brain
Old 01-15-2006, 07:15 PM

yeah something is wrong there......there are no vacuum anything with an NX kit.....this is how it should go:

bottle&gt;line&gt;nitrous solenoid&gt;line&gt;fogger
fuel tee in fuel line&gt;line&gt;fuel solenoid&gt;line&gt;fogger

they should go into their respective ports into the fogger nozzle (clearly labeled)

There shouldnt be anything vacuum related in the install
Old 01-15-2006, 07:40 PM

Default Re: (NXLude)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NXLude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeah something is wrong there......there are no vacuum anything with an NX kit.....this is how it should go:

bottle&gt;line&gt;nitrous solenoid&gt;line&gt;fogger
fuel tee in fuel line&gt;line&gt;fuel solenoid&gt;line&gt;fogger

they should go into their respective ports into the fogger nozzle (clearly labeled)

There shouldnt be anything vacuum related in the install</TD></TR></TABLE>

My nitrous setup is not a "Wet" system so i am told and my nozzle only has one port. i went onto summit's website and ordered a Foggger nozzle,lines,and fitting i need to fix this problem. like i said before i'm new to nitrous, only built turbo cars never even been i car with nitrous so this whole thing is new to me.

I have a pretty stupid question i'm sure. My bottle is mounted upside down due to a broken mount. the bottom of the bottle is higher up than the nozzle and i'm starting to think that's a problem. i was always under the impression that their is siphon tube in N20 Bottles and if that is the case wouldn't my lines only be seeing air and not actually liquid or am i wrong? It's 11:30pm and freezing cold out or i would have already checked this.

Brain
Old 01-16-2006, 07:04 AM

Pictures of my install. not exactly clean but then again who's lookin.

Old 01-16-2006, 07:11 AM

Constructive criticism welcome! I know it could have turned out better but u'm waiting on my fogger nozzle and lines to finish the install.

Brain
Old 01-16-2006, 07:20 AM

It doesn't look half bad. I'd use some plywood, black carpet, and some kind of bracket to make a new mounting thing for the bottle just to make it look better.

I don't know about the legality issues in your area, but if it's illegal there like it is in MD I'd build something like a sub box w/ black carpet that matches your trunk and put the bottle in there. That way, just in case they do tell you to pop the trunk, there's a slightly smaller chance of being fined or whatever for having it.

edit: Is that the switch on your steering wheel?
Old 01-16-2006, 07:31 AM

Default Re: (Everyones Hero)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Everyones Hero &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It doesn't look half bad. I'd use some plywood, black carpet, and some kind of bracket to make a new mounting thing for the bottle just to make it look better.

I don't know about the legality issues in your area, but if it's illegal there like it is in MD I'd build something like a sub box w/ black carpet that matches your trunk and put the bottle in there. That way, just in case they do tell you to pop the trunk, there's a slightly smaller chance of being fined or whatever for having it.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

your kidding right? adding even more weight than their is to this boat. Lol, no serisouly though i am planning on cutting a pice of plywood and covering it with carpet and mounting the bottle cleaner. in my area i'm not aware of any laws but either way i could care less.

edit: Is that the switch on your steering wheel?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Heh, i knew someone would take notice to that mistake. lol, yea i always liked that look but ya know what. now that i have it i am hating it but it's too late to turn back on that mistake(...Remebers mom dukes sayin that when i was younger).

Like i said i'm waiting on the fogger nozzle to finish the setup. I'll post pics when it comes in.

More comments welcome!

Brain

Quick Reply: N20 Question on Prepping Engine. What engine management?