Notices

Is my turbo toast?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2002, 03:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is my turbo toast?

Hey fella's. Well the saga continues. Damn this turbo stuff is so much fun. I think if I spend any more time under the hood the woman will dis-own my ***!

So anyway I had to take my manifold and turbo off the other night to make some quick repairs with JB weld. Gues what, JB weld can't take temps over 300c. So anyway then I notice my turbo was not spooling till way up in the rev range. I'm thinking some JB weld got on my exhaust turbine. But when I took my air filter off and spun the compressor when with my hands it still spins freely and with no effort what so ever, it don't have any more shaft play then before, and I'm not blowing oil.

So what do you think? Hopfully my manifold has a leak enought to do this. Also when I had it off before I noticed the exhaust housing had lots of heat cracks, not right through but there none the less (from what I gather this is common for 1Gdsm turbos). Anyway I'm going to take it off again adn send it all to a machine shop of a bud of mine, get the manifold rewelded and the exhaust housing porter to get ride of most if not all the heat cracks.

Comments?
Old 08-20-2002, 03:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is my turbo toast? (Hybrid)

sounds like either an exhaust leak or intake leak...need more details to tell....but i would lay off the JB weld on the exhaust...its way beyond the heat theshold for that stuff...just get yourself a new manifold...
Old 08-20-2002, 03:58 AM

Default Re: Is my turbo toast? (MiraiZ)

Yeah, like the turbo still builds boost, its just not up untill 5500rpm or so.

Crossing my fingers hoping my manifold is leaking. It is a ghetto rig but will get me though the rest of the summer once I get some minor machine work done.

I guess if the turbo was gone there would be some strain trying to spin the compressor?
Old 08-20-2002, 10:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I think it's probably an exhaust leak...my turbo doesn't hit full boost till about 4500rpm, and I have a fairly minor exhaust leak between the head and the manifold on cylinder number 4...the only problem is that I'm not sure I can fix it without grinding on the block, since the intake tube on the compressor is already against the block...
Old 08-20-2002, 11:00 AM

Default Re: Is my turbo toast? (ion_four)

what does your exhaust consist of? pipes? size?

i also have a sohc and had spool problems due to exhaust leaks. but not nearly as bad as you describ
Old 08-20-2002, 11:24 AM

Default Re: Is my turbo toast? (CovertFI)

I have 2" intake piping and 2.5" down pipe with no cat, just a glass pack and free flowing stainless.

I'm going out of town tommorrow so its all coming off and going to the shop to get fixed once and for all damn it!
Old 08-20-2002, 01:37 PM

I just yanked the manifold and turbo off. I hauled the turbo apart and it seems fine. There is a little build up on the exhaust blades but I"m thinking thats more or less normal. None the less they will be cleaned.

By the looks of disassembly it appears the wastegate accuator shifted from where I have it mounted on the block, thus slightly enough to crack open the wastegate. It alway's pays to check and double check.

While I have **** apart I'm getting the manifold port matched and also going to clean up the cracks on the exhaust section of the turbine.

Any tips for this procedure?