Notices

My new filtered recirculating valve cover breather thingie

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2002, 06:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My new filtered recirculating valve cover breather thingie

An inline fuel filter, brass fitting, and JB Weld....goes back into the turbo air inlet, seems to be doing alright.

Old 05-15-2002, 09:19 AM
New User

Default Re: My new filtered recirculating valve cover breather thingie (SuperDragII!!!)

Hey man.. Be careful with that.. Some DSM guys tried that back in the day.. It will get to the point where that gets clogged and your car will run like poo because of all the crank pressure.. It happened to 3 DSM's that used to come in our shop..
Old 05-15-2002, 09:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My new filtered recirculating valve cover breather thingie (SuperDragII!!!)

I'm confused as why this is necessary. My turbo setup just has a blowoff tube from valve cover to nipple on the intake pipe.

???
Old 05-15-2002, 09:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: My new filtered recirculating valve cover breather thingie (maztur)

How did you hook-up the tube (air filter side)? Just wondering if you did the slash cut tube...ala EnDyn. As it looks right now, your pulling a vaccum on the head and not so much 'pressurizing' it.

EDIT: Hit reply on the wrong person...this was meant for SuperDrag.

[Modified by EE_Chris, 6:31 PM 5/15/2002]
Old 05-15-2002, 09:57 AM
New User

Default Re: My new filtered recirculating valve cover breather thingie (EE_Chris)

looks like a fancy breather filter.

Old 05-15-2002, 10:37 AM

Default Re: My new filtered recirculating valve cover breather thingie (vudoo666)

is it just for looks? why do you need a filter there if its sucking up air that has been filtered by the intake already?
Old 05-15-2002, 10:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would watch that filter like a bird stalking it's prey!!

If you get ANY oil in the filter, the element is not going to stop a little stream of oil flowing right back down into the intake.

TRUST ME!!. I had a similar setup and the oil just went right through the filter.

A better setup:

-Take a HI-temp plastic catch can (from many racing shops, costs like 5 bucks) with a screw on air tight lid.
-Make two fittings in the catch can. One on one side close to the top of the can, and another a little lower right under neith the other fitting. The fittings can be bought from Home depot.
-Make sure that the fittings are mounted so that if oil sprays out of one, it will hit the side of the can , and not go into the other fitting.
-Fill the can with paper towels to catch the oil vaper.
-mount the can in the PCV line
-put a 90 degree fitting in the intake of the turbo, DO NOT USE THE STOCK SLASH CUT PIPE. I found that it does not "catch" enough air to compress the PCV on throtal.

The system works great!! I have it on my car, and it's been working for the past 4 months with no problems.

Let me know If want to know where to buy the catch can.
Old 05-15-2002, 10:50 AM
New User

OT: dude what the hell is that as your avatar? it's giving me seizures!
Old 05-15-2002, 10:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My new filtered recirculating valve cover breather thingie (gsr squirrel)

well...there shouldn't be more than a small amount of vapor coming through there, if I'm getting that much blowby so that a STREAM of oil comes out of there, I have far more worries than a clogged filter. BTW the elements are replaceable. the only reason the filter is on there, is to prevent any such vapors accumulating in the turbo. it's not really even necissarry.

this set up would be identical to anyother factory turbo car...I don't see what all the hubub is about. the intake is not pressurized, and the vaccum draws out any vapors like any EGR is supposed to, recirculating them.....where do you disagree?
Old 05-15-2002, 10:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My new filtered recirculating valve cover breather thingie (maztur)

I'm confused as why this is necessary. My turbo setup just has a blowoff tube from valve cover to nipple on the intake pipe.

???
my set up did not have the nipple on the intake pipe...hense, I welded one on.
Old 05-15-2002, 11:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I wouldn't recommend that. I just connected a tube to the valve breather and let the blow by blow underneath the car.

I did that exact same thing that you said, and I blew my first turbo. If you get severe blow by, I wouldn't recommend it. Because if slight oil gets into the turbo, it floods the compressor and blows the oil seals.
Old 05-15-2002, 11:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

And I did have an inline fuel filter liek you have.
Old 05-15-2002, 11:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My new filtered recirculating valve cover breather thingie (BG Boost)

but I don't have any blowby....I still don't get it.....OK for factory turbo cars, not for other turbos?? WTF
Old 05-15-2002, 12:09 PM
New User

"OT: dude what the hell is that as your avatar? it's giving me seizures! "

do you not recognize DOLEMITE! SUCKA!
Old 05-15-2002, 12:35 PM

Default Re: My new filtered recirculating valve cover breather thingie (HondaCRX)

yeah, I just ran a hose from the breather to underneath my car! Easiest, and cheapest way to do it!
Old 05-15-2002, 02:03 PM

Default Re: My new filtered recirculating valve cover breather thingie (smackdown-lude)

I rigged up the exact same thing, and it did accumulate oil (over time, not severe enough to warrant a filter) but the oil went thru the element and back towards the intake anyway. I took mine out because the filter I was using was plastic, and were being deformed by the heat off the motor.
Old 05-15-2002, 02:07 PM
New User

Default Re: My new filtered recirculating valve cover breather thingie (gsr squirrel)

OT: dude what the hell is that as your avatar? it's giving me seizures!
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH lol

yah man... i wouldnt trust it. you might get oil in your intake.
Old 05-15-2002, 02:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My new filtered recirculating valve cover breather thingie (96IntegraRS)

I rigged up the exact same thing, and it did accumulate oil (over time, not severe enough to warrant a filter) but the oil went thru the element and back towards the intake anyway. I took mine out because the filter I was using was plastic, and were being deformed by the heat off the motor.
This is the response that fits best. Oil may accumulate, but these filter elements are replaceable. this is nice and clean, and best of all, I'll pass inspection. It's not going to suck oil like a friggin straw...this is area is not pressurized. If it does, I'll be the first to come back and warn you of these great dangers, and you can all tell me "I told you so"