My experiences with Web Racing Cam

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2002, 05:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My experiences with Web Racing Cam

I jsut had to tell you guys about this company. Im sure you all heard of them but many may have not dealt with them. Any to cut a long story short. i am still trying to find the right cam for my Ls. I have gone through all of Crowers line except the 62402T so i decided to order it and see what happened. We as it turns out they are still out of cores (as usual) and they act like an *** and absolutly offer me no help or advise moreless just snub me off even after i jsut spend 1600 on cams from them. We i called Web and tqalked to Lori and from the get go they are the ****. She asked me what cams i have tried and what i liked and disliked about them. So after looking at all of my dyno plots with each cam we decided on a special grind that is actually offered on a Mercedes (go figure). Anyways today (tuesday) i ordered the cam and she guaranteed me that i would have it before the weeks end. The whole point of the story is that Lori took at least 2 hours to try to get me the right cam. There are very few companies out there that will go through this amount of trouble just to help one customer find a perfect cam. Best of all they made me a custom billet (not that cheap cast ****) for less than 600 bucks. This is no special dealer price either this is a regular price. I think Crower just lost a dealer, to WEB

Hopefully this weekend the LS will go over 450 whp
Old 06-18-2002, 05:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My experiences with Web Racing Cam (boosted3g)

let us know how they work. been looking for some good LS cams.
Old 06-18-2002, 05:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: My experiences with Web Racing Cam (int3gra)

Web Cams is a great company
Old 06-18-2002, 06:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My experiences with Web Racing Cam (earl)

havent dealt with them but i have heard good things about them
Old 06-18-2002, 08:09 PM
New User

Default Re: My experiences with Web Racing Cam (ek9t)

I dealt with them, they give great customer service and have built cams for the fastest bikes, boats, drag cars , etc. I even had the opportunity to go visit their facility and pick up my cams and valvesprings while I was there..

BAD things I didn't like.. They are Regrinds..
At the time I was looking for a nice cam to make me 200 to the wheels. I was running R cams at the time. There cams made less power all throughout the rpm range, we tried playing with cam gear settings bla bla and they just didn't want to make the power.

When I called Lori and spoke to her, she did not want to believe me and gave me a very hard time giving me my money back. I faxed her my dyno results with the R cams vs her cams. She insisted that it wasn't tuned properly and gave me the run around. After about a month going back and forth she finally gave in..I really thought she wasn't gonna refund my money cause she was being a real BITCH. Well I get a call from her and she was surprised that I returned the valvesprings too. (I never installed them and if I did I probably would have made less power.)
She asked me why, I said after dealing with you I don't want any of your products in my engine...I think she understood why..

That's my experience, I'm sure there are others that were satisfied but think about it, how many of the top guys are running "Web Cams"

The only people I can think of back in the day were Kurt Gordon and Eddie Bello, both who aren't racing anymore.
Old 06-18-2002, 09:41 PM
New User

Default Re: My experiences with Web Racing Cam (FAST94GSR)

ANYTHING is better than Crower VTEC valve train
Old 06-19-2002, 12:45 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: My experiences with Web Racing Cam (VaporTrail)

web has great cams for turbo non vtec honda's, an they seem to have decent customer service. they helped me pick out my cam spec from an audi s4 i think they like euro cars over there.....
Old 06-19-2002, 05:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

What was wrong with the Crower stuff?

Thanks
Ben
Old 06-19-2002, 07:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My experiences with Web Racing Cam (Bnjmn)

<-- still looking for a good SOHC VTEC Turbo cam.
Old 06-19-2002, 07:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you must have got Crower on a bad day, understand everyone limits the amount of time they spend with customer by their workload, or if it s Friday nobody wants to help. Last time I called Crower late after hours with a ? about VW VR6 pistons, the lady said she couldnt help me with custom orders but passed me on to mr Crower, what an honour we spoke and figured out what was needed in less then a half hour and even made up a new part number for me right there! thats and example of their great service.
Old 06-19-2002, 08:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

What are the specs on your cam? I'm looking for a good alternative to Crower for around that same money. I like the specs on the 62402T, but I think it could use about 5~10 degrees more duration. Anyone know where to get the lobe seperation for Corwer cams?

<-- Who has been waiting for his 62402T's for 2 months and is getting EXTREMELY pissed about it
Old 06-19-2002, 08:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My experiences with Web Racing Cam (Speed PHreak)

Vaportrail- I have had my bad share of experiences with Crower but the vtec cams breaking is actually not Crowers fault in many ways. The whole problem lies int he lost motion assemblies. If you switch to a type R set up then you will be fine. If not then well the valvetrain will loose clearance and basically twist itself apart. Crower should mention this but they dont.
Old 06-19-2002, 11:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thnax for the info man. Web cams are a bit pricey tho...
Old 06-20-2002, 10:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Speaking of which, how are the Type R lost motions different than the GSR?
Another $240 for those ITR parts isn't cheap...

Ben
Old 06-20-2002, 11:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

heh, Crower never made anything that was especially good (in the cam department) for domestics, why would this new fangeled import stuff be any different?
Old 06-21-2002, 01:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My experiences with Web Racing Cam (mplex2000)

Ha ha ha.... good point. Now that a few other well known cam makers are producing grinds for the imports sence...
Old 06-21-2002, 01:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Vaportrail- I have had my bad share of experiences with Crower but the vtec cams breaking is actually not Crowers fault in many ways. The whole problem lies int he lost motion assemblies. If you switch to a type R set up then you will be fine. If not then well the valvetrain will loose clearance and basically twist itself apart. Crower should mention this but they dont.
I've seen quite a few broken LS crower cams...

Can't blame the lost motion assemblies there.

And why would the lost motion assemblies affect the cam breaking anyways?
Old 06-21-2002, 09:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My experiences with Web Racing Cam (dustin)

I'm not defending Crower here b/c I also share the opinion that they suck where customer service is conserned. Just some help offering info.

A good reason why the Crower cams break might be due to how people install the cams. The LS cam journal bolts are spec at 72 inch/lbs (7ft/lbs ). I'm not to sure why it's so low of a torque spec, the SOHC VTEC journal bolts are 14 ft/lbs. Now where most might think the using the big ole 0-150 ft/lb, 2 ft long torque wrench would be the best thing.....Wrong. It's overkill for a torque that small, like using a hammer to swat a fly. No finesse, or acuracy.

Most ft/lb torque wrenches of that nature(even quality ones) aren't to accurate under 10~12 ft/lbs. So you go about torquing those bolts down at maybe higher or lower than spec torque and guess what happens? The cam binds/loses clearance in a journal and BOOM! Valve train self-destruct.

What the bolts need to be installed with in an INCH/LB torgue wrench. To insure the proper specs on each bolt, and a nice healthy happy valve train.

I'm no VTEC expert but aren't the R lost mostion assemblies lighter?

P.S. Sorry for whoring your thread Josh.

[Modified by Speed PHreak, 1:54 AM 6/22/2002]
Old 06-22-2002, 08:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My experiences with Web Racing Cam (Speed PHreak)

The ITR assemblies allow for more lift. Also its not the cams. There are several compaaies that use the same cores as Crower, WEB is one of them and you never hear any problems about them. Hell WEB cams even say Crower on the side of them. The point is nearly everyone uses the same cores except for JG.
Old 06-22-2002, 09:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Don't confuse cores with new billets. I use reground Webs and my cores were an old set of GSR automatic cams. Cores come from anywhere and everywhere. If a Web cam had Crower on it, it would have to be because someone didn't like their Crower and had it reground at Web. I doubt that Web would buy new billets that have the Crower name on it but I guess anything is possible. BTW, for the record, you can buy a reground or a new cam from Web. The only difference in price is just the cost of the new billet. Regrounds, so far, have worked perfect for me but I only drive my car on weekends and only 1/4 mile at a time Long term on the street, I'd probably go with a new billet.
Old 06-22-2002, 09:52 AM

Default Re: My experiences with Web Racing Cam (earl)

What happened to WebCam's web site? Wasn't it http://www.webcaminc.com?
Old 06-22-2002, 10:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My experiences with Web Racing Cam (VTC_CiViC)

<-- still looking for a good SOHC VTEC Turbo cam.
<--- Still looking for a good SOHC non-VTEC turbo cam.
Old 06-23-2002, 07:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My experiences with Web Racing Cam (TheShocker)

I think it is WEBcamshafts.com or WEBracingcamshafts.com They changed it and didnt realy say anything. They even still have it listed in their advertisments with the old one.
Old 07-28-2002, 01:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

They have great prices but in the DSM world (where everyone gets web cams with HKS specs because HKS is too much $$$) they've been known to wear flat in 2 years or less.
Old 07-28-2002, 02:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My experiences with Web Racing Cam (NOCARLOSER)

hense the name regrind and the reason why the HKs cams are so expensive. If i had put these in an everyday car i would have got them hardfaced. i have rn Crower cams for years now in my other cars and they are fine. Crowe rand Web use the same identical cores. If your wearing out cams fast im sure there is a reason for it and its not the cams.

Quick Reply: My experiences with Web Racing Cam