Notices

My engine Engine Started, Ran 15 Seconds, And now it wont start

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2002, 07:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My engine Engine Started, Ran 15 Seconds, And now it wont start

I recently put on an fmax turbo kit, with an rideal head gasket/spacer. I had the cylinders o-ringed, got a valve job and had some minor porting done. the car ran great execpt for some idle problems and it was not running smooth (slight hesitations) under normal driving conditions. The car ran well at WOT and had plenty of pickup. After doing a leakdown test i noticed that there was a leak in cylinder #3 into the water jacket suronding the sleves. So i took the head off and found that the problem was the o-ring on #3 didnt seal to itself and left a gap about the size of a pencil mark. i cleaned everything off and replaced the bad o-ring. This time I only put the coper layer of the gasket back on and sealed the whole thing with suzuki 1207B silicone.

When I went to fire the car back up it started perfectly, ran great for about 15 seconds and now it wont start. As far as spark goes, when i take the plugs out and ground them to something, they fire in order. The spark itself is pretty big and white. I have compression, and as far as fuel goes the plugs come out of the cylinder wet with gas. i can dump race gas right into each cylinder through the spark plug hole, and shoot it into the intake manifold and it won't fire, not even a backfire or a sputter it just cranks and cranks. It doesnt take that much to ignite race gas. one would think that if you have fuel and spark it would do somthing. right? I also checked that my rotor was phased and that the relation of the cams to the crank was good. The computer wont spit out any error codes, other than the once that i force upon it, like if i were to disconnect the map sensor or somthing like that. I am completely baffeled and really dont know what to do.

Did i mention the car was running??

A) before i redid the head gasket
B) When i first started it up after fixing the leak.

I checked and rechecked that everything was hooked up properly. It really wasnt that hard of a job and everything is put back in its proper place. the only electrical connection that i had to undo was the distributer and the 2 sensors on the head. I am going to go out and buy a new Coil and possibaly a new ICM just to be sure my spark is strong and getting through the fuel/air mixture. I really cant think of anything else that can be wrong. what am i missing? am i stupid? did i mention that the car started right up and ran before dieing?

I am writting here hoping that some of the people on here with such a great wealth of knolwedge and experience may be able to help me out, and get me running again.

Thanks a bunch!!

-Chris

1993 b18a1
tubronetics t3/t4

[Modified by maddog2200, 4:55 AM 4/8/2002]
Old 04-08-2002, 01:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: My engine Engine Started, Ran 15 Seconds, And now it wont start (maddog2200)

I have compression, and as far as fuel goes the plugs come out of the cylinder wet with gas. i can dump race gas right into each cylinder through the spark plug hole, and shoot it into the intake manifold and it won't fire, not even a backfire or a sputter it just cranks and cranks. It doesnt take that much to ignite race gas. one would think that if you have fuel and spark it would do somthing.
Ok....... If your sparkplug comes out wet with gas that is not a good thing. Your car will not start if you have flooded the engine with gas!!! Did you really dump race fuel into your cylinders? I recommend taking all your plugs out and letting any gas that you dumped into your head evaporate. Let it do this for a while, it sounds like you have a LOT of gas in your sleeves. Then replace your plugs with NEW ones. Are you running stock injectors? If you are running a S-AFC or V-AFC, try decreasing your LOW settings to around -40% to -45% for 1000rpms. When you do start your car, keep in mind if you keep giving your car gas over and over and it wont start, you are basically drowning it with gas to the point you foul out your spark plugs by soaking them with gas. Once again, make sure everything is nice, dry, and gas free inside of your cylinders, replace your plugs with NEW ones properly gapped for turbo (.030-.032) and your car should crank right up. Good luck!

[Modified by GudeH23a, 5:34 AM 4/8/2002]
Old 04-08-2002, 02:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My engine Engine Started, Ran 15 Seconds, And now it wont start (maddog2200)

Check #1 cylinder....if you have the MF2, I guarantee #1 or 2 is flooded...
Old 04-08-2002, 03:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My engine Engine Started, Ran 15 Seconds, And now it wont start (GudeH23a)

Did i mention the car started and ran fine? Tnen died..

I let it air out over nite, and i got new plugs the next day. It still didnt start up.

Thanks

-Chris
Old 04-08-2002, 03:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My engine Engine Started, Ran 15 Seconds, And now it wont start (MiraiZ)

Miraiz, Yes i do have the MF2, but that is only activated during boost. All i did was to start the car never touching the gas pedal. like i said the car started right up and went to a perfect idle, then it died right out. i thought for some reason i fouled the plugs. so i got new ones the next day after airing out allnight and the car still didnt start.

Thanks,

-Chris
Old 04-08-2002, 03:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Miraiz, Yes i do have the MF2, but that is only activated during boost.
Thats what I though too....but mine came with the fuel threshold turned all the way up so it was sending fuel even when not boosting....turned #1 plug all black with carbon deposites....got rid of the whole MF2 all together

Check all electrical...and make sure that nothing is blocking the turbine inlet....does it sound like it want's to turn over?

[Modified by MiraiZ, 9:40 PM 4/8/2002]
Old 04-08-2002, 04:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My engine Engine Started, Ran 15 Seconds, And now it wont start (MiraiZ)

Miraiz, It cranks and cranks and cranks, just wont start. i checked all connections, and all the nuts and bolts are in the right place. im pretty boggled.. when i took the head off it looked as tho it was burning great. all the plugs looked good execpt for the one that was in the #3 cylinder that had the leak..

Thanks

-Chris
Old 04-08-2002, 04:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Sounds like the ignition. You may be getting spark from the rotor/cap to the plugs, but if the ecu cant advance/retard the timing for starting you can still have problems.

Check the wiring for your MF2/MSD BTM where you tapped into the distributor wiring to make sure all is intact.
Old 04-08-2002, 08:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My engine Engine Started, Ran 15 Seconds, And now it wont start (niedejb)

Thanks man i am pretty sure that the MF2 is wired in correctly. Im not running the BTM, bewcause i went with the rideal headgasket when i bought the kit. did i mention that the car ran fine before i redid the head gasket and started perfectly before it died?

if i start the motor with the jumper in the computer will it not advance the timing?

Does anybody know how to induce the backup mode of the computer?

also if i had to replace the ecu can i replace it with a hondata or does the hondata work along the stock ECU??

Thanks again for everyones help,

-Chris

[Modified by maddog2200, 6:00 PM 4/8/2002]