Notices

My catch can setup... maybe it will help you guys...

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2005, 07:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My catch can setup... maybe it will help you guys...

Ok I hate this debate... but here is what I did... last year I was only running a 3/8 tube from the black box to just over my turbo KN filter... I saw that the tube was leaving some oil on the KN but not that much, probably just some oil vapor.

1-This winter I took a Nalgene 750ml plastic bottle who is really resistant ( they are made to test the gas in some racing series but a Coke bottle will do the job ).

2-I drilled a hole on the cap and poppped a 3/8 fitting in it with some epoxy. This will be my vaccum fitting who go to the side of my KN filter where I drilled a hole for a 90 degree 3/8 fitting.

3-On the side of the bottle I just drilled a small hole ( just big enough to get the rubber hose in so it will seal it )

4-Inside the bottle, over the tube that came from the black box I just installed some foam to be sure that the oil vapor will stay in the bottle or in the foam and my turbo wont suck any oil. I tryed to keep this line as high as I can to leave the liquid oil in the blakc box... this way my catch can wont suck the oil but just the pressure and the vapor

5-On my valves cover I keeped my small KN but I could alse run a rubber line to the bottle...

As you can see on the pic there is also my power steering fluid reservoir... my catch can is just under where the windshield washer reservoir should be...

I think that my ghetto setup is ok... so all the D16 could use it... you just have to use your imagination and keep my concept.

Hope that it will help some of you !

If you need some pics just ask me...

Mat

Old 03-08-2005, 07:45 AM

oh and all the bigger lines are for my oil cooler
Old 03-08-2005, 12:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (yellowturbo)

do you have any baffleing in that plastic bottle..

Old 03-08-2005, 12:47 PM

Default Re: My catch can setup... maybe it will help you guys... (yellowturbo)

I just drilled a hole in the end of my air filter and put a barbed fitting in there, seams to be working great so far, although my catch can always gets filled up with this clear liquid (water?) but thats probly cause my catch can is an old toyota automatic transmission cooler.
Old 03-08-2005, 06:12 PM

Default Re: (platinum00)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by platinum00 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">do you have any baffleing in that plastic bottle..

</TD></TR></TABLE>

nope... but I could put some special foam in it...

so or
Old 03-08-2005, 07:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

looks functional to me.

i personally dont like the fact that it runs back into the intake side of the turbo.
Old 03-09-2005, 04:10 AM

Default Re: (platinum00)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by platinum00 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">looks functional to me.

i personally dont like the fact that it runs back into the intake side of the turbo.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well... were you want to get a functional vacuum source ?? Imo its the best place... and the way I mounted the lines the turbo cant suck any oil.
Old 03-09-2005, 04:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

that is the exact same way i did mine, but i used 3 inch PVC pipe and some end caps because the barb fitting screwed right in an bit into the plastic real well and cause a good seal.

i dont have any baffling on mine either but on the line to the turbo i bought a universal filter from autozone that goes inline of my vacuum source to prevent any residue from entering the turbo.

from what i can tell and see (my theory) is that under any driving conditions you will always have vacuum to pull the gasses by means of the turbo, whether boost or driving yo ualways have some suction.

good write up homey!
Old 03-09-2005, 05:17 AM

Default Re: (mrbsponge)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mrbsponge &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">that is the exact same way i did mine, but i used 3 inch PVC pipe and some end caps because the barb fitting screwed right in an bit into the plastic real well and cause a good seal.

i dont have any baffling on mine either but on the line to the turbo i bought a universal filter from autozone that goes inline of my vacuum source to prevent any residue from entering the turbo.

from what i can tell and see (my theory) is that under any driving conditions you will always have vacuum to pull the gasses by means of the turbo, whether boost or driving yo ualways have some suction.

good write up homey!</TD></TR></TABLE>

do you get too much vacuum by the turbo... I mean it suck a lot of air and I dont wnat to suck too much oil from the black box...
Old 03-09-2005, 06:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a P-I-M-P setup that when my lazy *** finally finishes it,,, il post pics. Its the end all to all catch can setups.
I think i saw one of the pro guys or some **** on H-T with the same setup, maybe not 100% identicle to mine, but from my research, this is the way to go. Costly though. over $300.

Nice write up!
Old 03-09-2005, 07:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Ls1 FD3s)

The problem with that setup is that you will eventually coat the entire system from compressor to intake manifold with oil blow-by. You should simply vent to atmosphere. You do not need to circulate fresh air in the crankcase.
Old 03-09-2005, 07:54 AM

Default Re: (Flr Power)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Flr Power &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The problem with that setup is that you will eventually coat the entire system from compressor to intake manifold with oil blow-by. You should simply vent to atmosphere. You do not need to circulate fresh air in the crankcase.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah... your maybe right... I should maybe just run the hose to my bottle...

anyway I could try it first
Old 03-09-2005, 09:31 AM

how about using the exhaust for vacume? than you wouldnt get oil buildup in your engine and you would still get vacume unlike venting to atmosphere. otherwise your setup looks good. Im still wondering where the water substance comes from that builds up in catchcans.