Notices

Turbo Feed Line oil Filter

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 07:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo Feed Line oil Filter

how many of you using oil filter/screen for your turbo feed lines? such as Earls -4 oil filter
Old 01-12-2010, 10:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo Feed Line oil Filter

I have one on every of my cars... It eliminates the chance of a turbo failure under occasions like debris from spun bearing, blown motor, oil lines breaking down internally, etc.. from entering the turbo.

I don't use the Earl's filters though.. I use finer miniature hyraulic oil filters from local hydraulic shops good enough down to 10 microns.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I might have to get one of these.
Old 01-13-2010, 05:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

by tapping the feed line from a oil sandwich plate does the oil that goes threw the sandwich plate into the turbo feed line already filtered? does the port get oil Before or After the oil filter? In that case i wouldnt need the inline oil filter
Old 01-14-2010, 06:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am using a GE sandwich plate and I believe I read somewhere and they said that the oil coming from those ports are filtered.
Old 01-14-2010, 10:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

^as far as that is concerned ALL oil filters have a bypass valve internal and the filter itself will bypass high pressure oil or cold oil... so no matter where your feed is from there is a risk of unfiltered oil reaching the turbo.
Old 01-14-2010, 10:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NonovUrbizniz
^as far as that is concerned ALL oil filters have a bypass valve internal and the filter itself will bypass high pressure oil or cold oil... so no matter where your feed is from there is a risk of unfiltered oil reaching the turbo.
not all... there are mazda filters that screw onto hondas no problem that do not have a bypass valve.

but yes, all honda filters have the bypass.
Old 01-16-2010, 03:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by kte324
I am using a GE sandwich plate and I believe I read somewhere and they said that the oil coming from those ports are filtered.
can anyone else vouch for this?
Old 01-16-2010, 03:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, look at the design. They have holes around the center hole to pass oil to the filter. Once it leaves the filter, it enters the center hole and is routed to the ports from the center. You can see in this picture at about 11 o'clock and 2 o'clock where the passages radiate outwards from the center hole (where no small holes are).

It's a good idea to run a filter anyways, but a decent oil filter has to have some serious pressure or serious amount of debris in it to bypass. Usually when you get that much debris, you've already hosed your oil pump and it's not flowing any oil anyways. However, some Hondas can go over 80psi cold, and most oil filters will bypass oil around 60-80psi. I'd assume most companies know Hondas have high max oil pressure, and have stiff springs...
Old 01-17-2010, 12:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yup, the stock oil filter still gets bypassed on a cold start because the bypass begins if pressure exceeds 60-80 PSI as mentioned, and also gets bypassed if oil pressure drops below a certain PSI as well. It works great too upon the first initial start, say after a fresh build with fresh oil lines and fittings. Sometimes you can't clean all the crap in SS braided lines after you've cut them, and sometimes you get stuff like traces of old gasket or sealant. I've seen all sorts of crap on my inline filters and I have been really cautious about keeping the lines clean as well.

If there is debris (and lots of it) from a spun bearing, or any form of engine failure, it will most likely take out the turbo as well and the stock oil filter will not catch everything.

It's always suggested to run an inline filter for the turbo, especially for dual BB folks. Some OEM cars come with pre-filters as well, such as the WRX STi. If anyone here has purchased HKS BB turbos, they supply you with an inline filter as a kit as well. It's just a good idea and just plan ahead the next time you install a new turbo. It's only about $60-100 more factoring in the fittings (depending on fittings used) and the filter itself usually.

And the best part, if some dude decides to tell you that your turbo has failed due to debris (warranty issue), you can tell the guy to go to hell because you have an inline oil filter.
Old 01-17-2010, 01:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Tony the Tiger

And the best part, if some dude decides to tell you that your turbo has failed due to debris (warranty issue), you can tell the guy to go to hell because you have an inline oil filter.
then they accuse you of starving the turbo. hah, always a way to shift the blame
Old 01-19-2010, 06:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by welfarepc
then they accuse you of starving the turbo. hah, always a way to shift the blame
You play along the game, so if they blame on debris, you tell them, "really?".. "Are you sure?" And then sort of play along that could be a potential problem. Get them to confirm 100% through their expertise that it is indeed an oil contamination problem, and then you tell them to go to hell saying you have a 10 micron inline oil filter. Starvation and oil contamination result in totally different failures and can be easily identifiable

I haven't done that before though, since I never had a turbo failure except for the really early days like back in '03 (so warranty was an easy thing). The other turbo related failures were rebuild-related so the vendor did some warranty work (not a GT turbo though). I am just saying this as an example...lol One less thing to worry about though.
Old 01-19-2010, 06:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

where do you buy the 10 micron filter tony? if they arent too much i want to get one
Old 01-25-2010, 06:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

http://store.forcedperformance.net/m...e=Acc-OilLines

Just ordered mine today, got the red on for journal bearing turbos! 80shipped..
Old 06-29-2010, 10:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Bit of a thread ressurection.

For the guys running the 10 micron filters, are they all good in terms of flow? Do they restrict the feed at all? Alot of the inlines I have seen are around 100 micron, but I want the most protection I can get.
Old 06-29-2010, 01:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DreTec
Bit of a thread ressurection.

For the guys running the 10 micron filters, are they all good in terms of flow? Do they restrict the feed at all? Alot of the inlines I have seen are around 100 micron, but I want the most protection I can get.

A few places sell these in the U.K Demon tweeks, think auto etc. Mocal make one as do Goodridge.
Old 06-30-2010, 12:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by rs250nut
A few places sell these in the U.K Demon tweeks, think auto etc. Mocal make one as do Goodridge.
Yep, in the UK I have found Bailey, Goodridge, Earl's and plenty of no-branders... but they all vary between 25micron and 150micron.

I want to know if the 10-25 micron filters restrict flow at all.
Old 06-30-2010, 12:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DreTec
Yep, in the UK I have found Bailey, Goodridge, Earl's and plenty of no-branders... but they all vary between 25micron and 150micron.

I want to know if the 10-25 micron filters restrict flow at all.
Almost all inline filters have decent flow rating, especially ones that are meant to have 1/8" NPT inlets and outlets... I can assure you that 99.99% of the inline filters out there, whether it is 10 microns or smaller, would outflow a a common oil restrictor fitting... If you want to be 100% sure, than place a pressure gauge between the turbo oil feed fitting and the inline filter. As long as you get 35-50 PSI at the turbo, you are set.
Old 06-30-2010, 01:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^^ Just the response I was looking for, thanks Tony.