Notices

My blow off valve works better now?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2003, 01:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My blow off valve works better now?

Mabee i'm crazy, but I just installed this and my blow off valve functions better now. It gives a much faster, stronger sound when I let off the throttle, more than before.

Am I just crazy or can a stronger vacuum source (such as the brake booster line) cause vacuum powered devices like the BOV and wastegate to work better?
Old 09-23-2003, 01:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: My blow off valve works better now? (ClubSiRacer)

The stronger the vacuum source is better for essential vacuum/pressure components such as the bov, wastegate and 3bar map sensors. You'll get more response from the stronger source...
Old 09-23-2003, 01:23 PM

Default Re: My blow off valve works better now? (boosted hybrid)

Well that explains it... i tee'd off the brake booster into this and it has a much stronger source of vacuum now. BTW, not bad for a hand made part huh?
Old 09-23-2003, 01:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice work.
Old 09-23-2003, 01:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My blow off valve works better now? (ClubSiRacer)

Yeah looks good. Did you get the little canister from mcmastercarr?
Old 09-23-2003, 03:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My blow off valve works better now? (boosted hybrid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boosted hybrid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yeah looks good. Did you get the little canister from mcmastercarr?</TD></TR></TABLE>
He sells them for $30. There was a thread he posted a couple days ago in which I brought up the fact that the Mc Master manifold is a bit cheaper. That thread seems to be gone now, interesting...

Anyway, the link to his product is in his sig:
http://forums.clubsi.com/photos/ordering_page.html

This thread smells like an advertisement to me, but I could be wrong.
Old 09-23-2003, 03:11 PM

Default Re: My blow off valve works better now? (inspyral)

get some clamps / zip ties on there. looks great.
Old 09-23-2003, 03:18 PM

Default Re: My blow off valve works better now? (inspyral)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by inspyral &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
He sells them for $30. There was a thread he posted a couple days ago in which I brought up the fact that the Mc Master manifold is a bit cheaper. That thread seems to be gone now, interesting...

Anyway, the link to his product is in his sig:
http://forums.clubsi.com/photos/ordering_page.html

This thread smells like an advertisement to me, but I could be wrong. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yea my thread was deleted the other day because too many people asked questions and it was considered "advertising" even though at least 5 other threads showing "prototype turbo manifolds" and crap like that are allowed.

With this thread, i am simply showing my new part and stating how nicely it worked. And yes, it did help...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">get some clamps / zip ties on there. looks great.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yea, the clamps I was going to use were too small. The two larger lines are firmly in place even though the lower one appears to be half on. (though I plan on fixing that soon)

I hope to replace my nasty block of brass tee's for my oil pressure gauge / sending unit and oil feed next but i'm feeling too lazy to crawl under the car and get covered in oil.
Old 09-23-2003, 07:06 PM

check out the golden eagle vacuum mani...it does the same thing only it looks cooler with their logo on it, i think its 40 or 50 bucks at motormatrix
Old 09-23-2003, 08:02 PM

Default Re: (MyMario)

you can go down to home depot and get some 1/8npt nipple-1/4" barb fittings for dirt cheap and tap your intake manifold. Strong and accurate pressure/vacuum readings.

Or just do what inspyral said, just buy the mcmaster vacuum block.
Old 09-23-2003, 08:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (LiLOtaku)

I bought a 1/4 brass T, 2 1/4 to 3/8 barb's, and a 1/4 to 1/4 barb and threw that on my brake booster line and hooked it to my bov. The dsm 1g bov is pretty freakin loud now. Cant wait to hear the RFL on it this weekend. ;X
Old 09-23-2003, 08:38 PM

Default Re: (MyMario)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MyMario &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">check out the golden eagle vacuum mani...it does the same thing only it looks cooler with their logo on it, i think its 40 or 50 bucks at motormatrix</TD></TR></TABLE>

Think of what you just said though... "it looks cooler" Its all about function people... BTW, this looks better plain (yes, it is black anodized also) and is both smaller and lighter. (not that a couple ounces matter) And it has two sizes of ports... And its less expensive. I mean really, you'd rather spend more and get less? Go ahead... i'm not going to stop you. Afterall, it is your money.

Yea, a bunch of tee fittings dangling off my brake booster would work, but god it would be a nasty tangle. This is such a clean way to manage it.

I'd tap my intake manifold and run a -6AN or even a -8AN from that straight into this but i'm not about to pull the manifold off just to drill a damn hole in it. (Hi, metal shavings != good on your motor.... Just FYI!)

Just tossing some thoughts out there, and ideas... It works well for me and the few other people who already have it are very pleased so far.
Old 09-23-2003, 09:50 PM

Default Re: (ClubSiRacer)

here's a pic of my vaccum manifold that i made from inch think plexiglass...
Old 09-23-2003, 10:04 PM

i have problems with my bov not going off too... i think i have a vacuum problem also. do you think if i use bigger hose the vacuum will be better?
Old 09-23-2003, 11:30 PM

Default Re: (tRaCeBuStAbUsTeR)

A larger vacuum line will help some as long as the line itself is connected to a sufficient source. My old HKS blow off valve wasnt working well, i later found out it was because I was only using a 1/8" vacuum line to it from the intake manifold and that line was also tee'd off of several other sources including the line to the wastegate and electronic boost control solenoid. This proved to be bad...

Heh nice chunk of plexi!